Transporting Weapons

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Transporting Weapons

Post by Greg »

As I pack to fly to CA for my vacation, to include an overnighter in Kit with Druin's cohorts, it occurred to me that we haven't really ever discussed transporting swords via an Airline, which can be a little tricky. I've done this before, so I'll show how I approach it, but feel free to chime in with your own experiences.

Direct from the TSA website:

The big thing to note in that popup window is that the blade(s) MUST be securely wrapped or sheathed to avoid injury to TSA employees. What it DOESN'T mention, is what will happen when a rifle case like mine, below, is encountered by a Geeky TSA employee, full near-to-bursting with toys, and the employee decides that this warrants a "VERY thorough inspection".

Granted, that's not giving the TSA folks much credit, but there IS a possibility of it happening, and here's what I do to avoid it.

I print out the screenshot above of the official TSA stance on swords, and place that on top of EVERYTHING inside my gun case, where it's impossible to miss. This helps avoid unwarranted confiscation. Then, with brightly colored (typically red) plastic zip-ties, I secure my sword in its scabbard in a ren-faire fashion, so that it cannot be drawn without obvious intent, including cutting the zip tie. Next, I type out a VERY POLITE, but informative note, and masking tape it to the throat of my sword scabbard:
This sword is SHARP. It is a functioning historically-minded piece used for reenactment purposes. If further inspection is required, you may cut the [color] zip ties securing it, but please use extreme caution.
What this note does, essentially, is warn the employee of their peril, without putting it in such a context and, simultaneously, remove the possibility of lawsuit, since they were fairly informed prior to making a stupid move and hurting themselves. Instead, they are confronted with the question of "Do I really want to start cutting this dude's luggage open, or will the x-ray suffice?" The viewing equipment they possess is plenty sufficient to see that there isn't any circuitry attached to explosives inside my scabbard, and that my note speaks the truth plainly.

A few years ago, flying down to LA to hike with Ernildhir, I went through security after checking my baggage, got to my gate, and got comfortable to read for an hour before my flight boarded. Ten minutes later, my name comes over the intercom, paging me ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE SOUTHWEST DESK at the front of the airport.

They wanted me to unlock my sword case.

Then, naturally, I had the pleasure, of going BACK THROUGH SECURITY. AGAIN. Didn't miss my flight, but I wasn't too thrilled, either.

The solution to this problem I've found, is to make yourself present at the inspection of your gear. Now, I arrive plenty early (as you should anyway), and when I check the baggage and they ask the obligatory "Is there a firearm in that?", I politely say "No, but it is locked. Would the TSA inspectors like to meet me at the door so I can unlock it for them, and then secure it after their inspection?"

This isn't asking too much, because it's exactly what wound up happening that first time. They had me unlock it, took it behind the door for 5 minutes, and then closed the case and opened the door again, for me to re-attach the lock. Now, when this happens, I'm ready and waiting with four fresh zip-ties to secure the case all the way along its open edge, where there are multiple padlock loops. The handle is padlocked, and the rest is secured firmly for the duration of the trip, so if there's been any tampering, I'm instantly aware of it.

Anyone else have Airport horror stories/advice?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Transporting Weapons

Post by ineffableone »

I tend to bounce around the US pretty regularly. So I have had the fun of trying to figure out how to transport swords many times.

Pre 9/11 I had actually checked swords with the handle sticking out of the top of the duffle bag wrapped in bubble wrap and a sock to cushion the exposed handle through checked baggage. Never a problem or issue doing that.

Post 9/11 I have always made sure swords are well secured inside a piece of luggage. And similarly have left a note with the TSA regulations attached. I have never had an issue, but every single time have found a TSA notice that indeed that bag was searched.

You actually get less interest in a bow or firearm than if you pack a sword, bows and firearms are in checked baggage all the time. Folks just aren't used to dealing with swords much though. So leaving notes with reference or printed out regulations can be a very good idea. Also make sure your aware of legal standing of swords in the place your traveling to. Some places have some pretty strict laws while others are pretty relaxed.

Something that should be fairly obvious, but worth mentioning. Make sure you give your sword a good oiling before packing it. Last thing you want is a rusty sword on arrival.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Greg wrote:A few years ago, flying down to LA to hike with Ernildhir, I went through security after checking my baggage, got to my gate, and got comfortable to read for an hour before my flight boarded. Ten minutes later, my name comes over the intercom, paging me ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE SOUTHWEST DESK at the front of the airport.

They wanted me to unlock my sword case.

Then, naturally, I had the pleasure, of going BACK THROUGH SECURITY. AGAIN. Didn't miss my flight, but I wasn't too thrilled, either.

The solution to this problem I've found, is to make yourself present at the inspection of your gear. Now, I arrive plenty early (as you should anyway), and when I check the baggage and they ask the obligatory "Is there a firearm in that?", I politely say "No, but it is locked. Would the TSA inspectors like to meet me at the door so I can unlock it for them, and then secure it after their inspection?"

This isn't asking too much, because it's exactly what wound up happening that first time. They had me unlock it, took it behind the door for 5 minutes, and then closed the case and opened the door again, for me to re-attach the lock. Now, when this happens, I'm ready and waiting with four fresh zip-ties to secure the case all the way along its open edge, where there are multiple padlock loops. The handle is padlocked, and the rest is secured firmly for the duration of the trip, so if there's been any tampering, I'm instantly aware of it.

Anyone else have Airport horror stories/advice?
Something you might consider to avoid the issue of having to unlock the case for inspection, some airports will not bother to ask you to return and will just cut your locks off, there are TSA locks on the market. They have a special TSA key that will open it along with the combo lock you have. They only cost $10-$20 on average and can save you the worry about TSA cutting off your lock or calling you back to open the case.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I carry my blades in a hard-case golf-club case.

Att he Combat Con last month.. no earl;ier this month, I openede my case and this young girl raved about my idea... then asked if I would give my case to her!
She wasn't that pretty but obviously was accustomed to older men giving ehr presents simply because she was young a nd moderatly preety.

My only problem with the hard-golf-club-case is that wehne I rent a mid0sized car, it fills the back seat!

Thse TSA <bleep bleep bleep...>
I had an antique B-4 bag that had survived 20 years with the Air Force, a dozen countries and three wars.
it took one trip to Maine for TSA to destroy it.
They CUT the thing open with a razor knife.
When I complained, they said "we had to look inside".
I pointed out the zippers, unlocked, and they ignored me.
ANYONE too stupid to figure out mhow to use azipper is too stupid to be trusted with my life!

I NEVER got an apology or any compensation. They simply had a badge on the end of their dick and didn't care!
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Yep RikJohnson I actually avoid flying as much as possible as I do not want to validate the TSA existence. The sad part is the people actually could get rid of or seriously impact the TSA by organizing one Holiday season of boycotting travel. The airlines are all on the verge of bankrupt, they would not be able to take a holiday season that was not over crowded with passengers which means they would put huge amounts of pressure on the TSA to be fixed so they could survive. Just one season of staying home for Thanksgiving and X-mas and things could change.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I haven't had any real issues with my kit, I generally leave notes on what they are and such, ziptied or wrapped soundly within a larger case. I may have to pick up a case like yours, I use TSA locks on my cases so I don't have to come back and open them.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

>>What it DOESN'T mention, is what will happen when a rifle case like mine, below, is encountered by a Geeky TSA employee, full near-to-bursting with toys, and the employee decides that this warrants a "VERY thorough inspection".<<

Ever find a brand new and unaccountable 'nick' in the blade or a new fingerprint rusted into the metal after a trip?

My daughter is latex-allergic and after one really bad episode that caused her an ER trip while on vacation, traced to latex residue on her underpants (she posts latex allergy warnings on her bags) she now washes her clothes as soon as she arrives anywhere.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ursus Saltuaris

Post by Ursus Saltuaris »

Back in my misguided youth I was travelling to a bowhunt in Montana. At the baggage counter the young woman asked what was in the case. I replied "Archery tackle, you know, bow and arrows." Is it loaded?" She opened the case and saw my compound bow and broadheads and I thought she was going to faint. Luckily her supervisor walked up and approved my luggage and wished he could come along. I will never forget that day! If you have a friend to meet you, you might try shipping overnight or 2 day on fedex. Just a thought.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Greg wrote:Image

I can only imagine the fright of the TSA agent who when faced with all this unusual weaponry notices the two spoons. Nightmares will haunt that TSA agent for years on what the horrible uses of the spoon might be in combat. He is unable to eat soup anymore because seeing a spoon makes him shriek like a little girl who's dolly was taken. Then one night years later, it dawns on him, the spoons might have been just spoons for camping.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Gisborn- "But Brother...why a spoon?"

The Sherrif- "because it hurts more you twit!"
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: