Ranger Bows

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Ranger Bows

Post by Rifter »

So I came across this via the Rangers web series FB page. It seems the production has gotten Crowsnest to do their bows. They've also decided to sell them. Now because my own coat of arms has a wolf on it I'm planning on getting one of these for this alone however thought a few of you might also want to look. I currently use a youth bow and I tend to be more like Strider and want a small bow rather then Faramir and carry a long bow.

What type of weight should I get however?. My experience Ranger as it is more with sword and knife then bow.

http://www.crowshead.com/ranger-bow/
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Re: Ranger Bows

Post by bjaurelio »

If you don't have much archery experience, I would recommend starting around 30#. It will help you learn good form by using a bow that you can easily handle.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

bjaurelio wrote:If you don't have much archery experience, I would recommend starting around 30#. It will help you learn good form by using a bow that you can easily handle.
Yep if your starting out you should start in the 30-35 lb range. Part of the reason for this, is archery uses muscles in ways nothing else really does. So even if your in great shape your muscles will be freaking out from this odd different use if you have a really heavy weight.

Something else you might consider is http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery for a starter bow. These are some of the lowest cost but still decent quality long bows out there you can find. At 1/3rd the price or better than the bow you are looking at, it wont break the bank if you decide you don't like archery. Also remember you still need arrows, gloves/tab, quiver, string wax, arm guard, etc. So saving $100+ can really help make starting archery affordable. The design would be easy enough to woodburn into a bow if that is your selling point.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I have a youth longbow and have for years. I just got it cause it's shorter Was getting a new one because I need a larger pull but wasn't aure what the youth was set at but probably the 30 ibs range I'd imagine. I just want a smaller bow then even the youth.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

My wife and I picked up a couple of these:
PSE Snake Bow

We grabbed them because of price, the fact that they have ambidextrous arrow rests, and being plastic they will be forgiving to new shooters that may not have anywhere to store a nicer bow safely. I'm right handed but I like to shoot with a thumb ring, so having rests on both sides means I can try shooting either way and figure out what works better for me.

If you go for one of these you'll want to get something to wrap/pad the grip. We used cheap tennis racket grip wrap. :)
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Rifter wrote:I have a youth longbow and have for years. I just got it cause it's shorter Was getting a new one because I need a larger pull but wasn't aure what the youth was set at but probably the 30 ibs range I'd imagine. I just want a smaller bow then even the youth.
If you already have experience then 40-45 lbs will take down any game in N America. 50-55 lbs would be about max draw weight one would need for any sort of hunting of large game outside of N America.

I would suggest going for the 40-45 lbs. Though 50-55 lbs can be done and you could argue you would get more range with that. Though the difference is not much when hunting with a bow being able to take a shot 2-3 steps further back can be the difference between a nice meal and going hungry another day.

If you don't plan to ever actually hunt, and it is just for target practice and rounding out your kit. Then just go with the 40-45 or even the 30-35. As power of a heavier lbs in that context is not really needed.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

BTW since you seem to be stressing wanting a smaller bow, have you thought about a recurve or even a Mongolian horse bow?

Recurves can run 10" smaller than the bow you listed.

Horse bows can run 20" smaller than the bow you listed.

If your really interested in as short as you can get, check out http://www.horsebows.com/
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I don't like the look of a recurve, never have. Thanks though
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Rifter wrote:I don't like the look of a recurve, never have. Thanks though
No worries, just figured worth mentioning since you were saying you wanted as short a bow as possible. Some of the horse bows for example are under 50" which is pretty small.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

yes but doesn't make a difference if I don't like the function of the bow itself