Hail wanderers!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Hail wanderers!

Post by Kortoso »

Thank you for letting me join this honorable encampment of Rangers.

I've always loved the wilds; for most of my life, escaping there has been a solace. I have had the fortune to learn from some very knowledgeable woodsmen in my time as well.

I started swinging a sword when I was in high school, many winters ago. The different groups that I joined (Markland, SCA, Regia, etc.) mostly played by driving cars to a nearby park, and becoming ancient people right there on the freshly mowed grass. But I deeply felt that the mythical quest through the wilderness was calling me.

Although I love the LOTR books and stories, my real fantasy heritage pays more tribute to the Hyborian Age of Conan's creator, Robert E. Howard. When I read of Conan, I identified not only with his swordsmanship, but with his woodcraft.

In WMA, I have trained in Fiore longsword, as well as eastern techniques but two generations removed from the battlefield.

I enjoy the challenge of trying out practical medieval costuming, and learning the actual skills that might have sustained our earliest ancestors. The "Mountain Man" groups in the USA have an interesting model of learning actual daily skills. I'd like to explore that.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Hail wanderers!

Post by Rifter »

Greetings and well met. May you find good company here
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

Mae Govannen Kortoso
Welcome to the MERF
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome !
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

Welcome to the group. May you find fellowship and knowledge.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Hello and welcome!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

greetings and welcome, from another new member
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

greetings and welcome, from another new member
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hail and well met Kortoso!

I am glad you chose to join us here and hope you consider yourself at home among us!
Several of us also revere the Hyborian age and we have at least one Cimarian re-enactor. There are no lack of Iron age type peoples in the works of Tolkien either. As far as mountain men...well you will find no less enthusiasm for those stalwart individuals here. We have had many discussions on the forum about that particular lifestyle and When I consider the many archtypes of a "Dwarven Ranger" the mountain man is a seminal part of the persona for me. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Hail Kortoso!

Well met after many years of wander, very glad to see you here among us! You will find the MERF to be a vibrant and very engaging group, looking forward to your posts and insights!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

Mae govannen. Many good things here to learn. Have at it!
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Welcome!
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Welcome.
You'll find that this site is universally polite and supportive. Lots of good ideas too.

I am also a Hyborian reenactor as well as a ME-Ranger and find a lot of overlap though my Hyborian persona is a travelling cartographer which helps the ME persona<g>.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Hi Rik!

And thank you for all the welcomes!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.