Jute braided waxed fire starter tube

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Jute braided waxed fire starter tube

Post by ineffableone »

Jute braided waxed waterproof fire starter tube

Wintertrekker wrote:Using a ferro rod I demonstrate fire starting with a 3-strand braided and waxed jute tinder tube tool. This is a convenient, dry, non-messy, re-useable alternative to PJ soaked tinders. To prove it is waterproof or very water resistant, I show dunking it in water and then re-fluffing the end to light it. In windy and wet conditions a sustained flame can help start a fire. I did not invent this, I got the idea from several Youtube videos showing how nicely waxed jute works, and then I modified it into the tinder tube concept. With a ferro rod it lights every time as long as you fluff up the fibers before striking, and don't fluff them until ready to light it so that the tip stays dry until needed. Off camera I tried it with flint and steel and could not catch a spark, so I think it is reserved for the ferro rod, lighters and matches.
I have been meaning to make one of these for a couple years. Yet still haven't gotten around to it.

While the maker of this video mentions he hasn't had luck using flint and steel to catch on this, I am wondering if it could work in the right conditions or with the right flint and steel. Even if it were not possible to use with flint and steel I could see it as useful as a way to transfer fire from one place to another, as in lighting it from a fire to lite a lantern or candle. Or even when tinder is minimal using this as a way to stretch the burn time of a flame to be able to get your fire going.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Jute braided waxed fire starter tube

Post by Kortoso »

I'm coming to this late, but it sounds like someone is waxing their primary tinder and expecting it to hold a spark?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Jute braided waxed fire starter tube

Post by ineffableone »

Kortoso wrote:I'm coming to this late, but it sounds like someone is waxing their primary tinder and expecting it to hold a spark?
It actually works pretty well. You do need to fluff the tinder a bit, but once it actually has been burnt once it becomes even easier as the jute then becomes charred.