"Dwarf" sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

"Dwarf" sword

Post by Straelbora »

I was just in Chicago and since my wife is from China, every time we're there, we end up in Chinatown to eat. We stopped at a souvenir shop that was going out of business and I picked up one of these:

http://www.chinasamuraisword.com/china- ... p-375.html

It's a 'Warring States period Chinese sword.' The blade is 21 inches, and it's got a lot of geometric patterns to it. It's also pretty heavy for its size (I haven't weighed it yet.) The Chinese characters on the crossguard and scabbard are ancient Chinese characters and not that legible, so unless you're an Eastern sword type expert, to me, nothing about it screams "Chinese" or "Asian" like a typical Tai Chi sword or katana would.

Its size and look, for me, makes it seem like a Dwarf longsword that serves well as a short sword in the hands of a Man.

Bonus is that it had a $300 price tag on it and the guy wanted $150 until he heard that I could speak some Mandarin, and then he knocked another $50 off the price! And it came with a cool box.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: "Dwarf" sword

Post by Peter Remling »

I've seen a pic of one of those somewhere. I like the look, nice find.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That, sir, is begging to be re-hilted as a Dwarf Blade. For serious. Maybe toss some runes on the blade saying "Telchar Made Me", etc.

Looks cool!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:That, sir, is begging to be re-hilted as a Dwarf Blade. For serious. Maybe toss some runes on the blade saying "Telchar Made Me", etc.

Looks cool!
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I saw it.
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

You know I have had one of the "Hero" swords from the Jet li movie and I never really saw it in that light until I saw a version of it that is styled after this one, that was green and brown and was call the sword of the Northern Ranger. I may fiddle around with the one I have now that you mention it, it could be fun! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

I'm a little leary of any company that advertises "Full Hand Forged Folded Damascus Samurai Katana Tanto Sword"

How many discrepencies can you find in that description?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

RikJohnson wrote:I'm a little leary of any company that advertises "Full Hand Forged Folded Damascus Samurai Katana Tanto Sword"

How many discrepencies can you find in that description?
Funny. The sword I have is actually nice quality.
Hávamál
swordlover

Post by swordlover »

I've managed to get a few swords from here http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/ with no issues, might be worth a look for other members looking for an affordable sword
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Took mine apart the other day stripped it and I am reworking it as we spoke of earlier. Mine, unfortunately, is not a very good quality sword, but will make an interesting costume peice or wall hanger. The style conjures up some very dwarven images though I must say. It was also purchased in China town in New York by my son who is a big Jet Li fan and came to me as many of his peices do. (that is the attention span of youth...I wonder if he will grow out of it? It didn't work for me! :wink: )
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

sometimes, the ads are simply an effort to cover all search perameters.

often the sites are simply lazy. I have an old pre-Criterion copy of Rashomon, possibly the worlds best movie. It was made in Japan, but translated Japanese-to-Chinese then Chinese-to-Malasian then Malasian-to-English. The beginning of the film ,they actually tried to translate but by halfway-point, you'd have a long conversation translated as 'get them'.

And many are simply deceitful. Advertising a 'historic hand-folded stainless steel kataka"

So although the deals are out there (and I've found a few), it is always a good idea to check it out before you sign that check.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.