Bow string

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bow string

Post by RikJohnson »

I was hoping to go off for the long weekend but matters conspire... so I will go to the Range Sunday to try out my new Longbow and Horsebow*. Neither have been tested... yet.... too busy I suppose.

Unfortunatly, I cannot find my back-up strings for the horsebow which means that Saturday I get to set my jig up and make a couple replacement strings.
I have linen and flax and silk and cotton thread plus dacron so I have options there.

My problem is not tools or materials, it is technique.
Every time i have tried to make a string, I get differing tensions on the strands. Some tight, some loose and the string comes out looking ... bad, and probably not safe.

Any advice or suggstions will be appreciated as to how to keep each strand the same tension.

*note: The longbow is a bare bow to which I added horn tips, then managed to cut the string grooves backwards so I am looking for a replacement set of cow-horn tips that will fit. stupid me.
The Horsebow is a fiberglass kit I assembled myself, then covered with leather and fabric to make it more attractive.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Bow string

Post by ineffableone »

I have yet to get into string making, it is on my list of archery knowledge to get proficient at though.

I imagine someone here does have the knowledge and skills though.