Re-hilted Sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Re-hilted Sword

Post by ineffableone »

So the blade is not spring tempered then and took a set. Have you tried to bend it back?

This sort of set is common with non spring tempered blades. Japanese cutting competitions actually employ professionals to straighten swords for the competitors.

The blade is not necessarily ruined. Just needs correcting. And then used with the fore knowledge that it is not spring tempered.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Thanks guys, and that's a good idea Ursus!

And I have tried to bend/beat it back into shape, but getting it straight again is something I'm not too concerned about. I may just go ahead and take it apart or cut off the blade to make a short sword.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Well, "Test-Cutting" means testing the blade as well.
Somebody I know has bent his heirloom katana in the same manner, so don't feel too bad.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.