TARP TENT

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

TARP TENT

Post by RikJohnson »

I am one of those people who likes a floor and bug net in my tent. something about waking up with beetles on my face and ticks in my clothes.

I am planning a multi-day Range in a couple weeks along the Black River and am designing a tarp-tent that will do this AND protect me from the elements.
I think that I found a basic design @ http://www.brilliantdiy.com/bad-weather ... 2-minutes/ that can easily be modified to work.

I've got it down to a 9x11 canvas with a removable door for rain and bugs.
The canvas will double as a 'back-pack' to hold all my gear as Odegan shows in his portnamteau entry.
Obviously, I will eventually need to waterproof the canvas (preliminary design will be via cheap poly-tarp) and solve a few on-site problems but....

I am thinking a wool blanket and heavy cloak will keep me warm at night. Aided, possibly, by a reflective fire outside the tent .

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Re: TARP TENT

Post by RikJohnson »

I am now thinking that 9x9 may be as useful but smaller and lighter to carry.
Also easier to find a 9' space than a 12' space<g>
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I like this set up -

I use the first set up, not the modified set up. It's obviously not totally bug-proof, but it has a door and a floor.

Here's my 8'x8' tarp set up like that -

I was setting up on a sand tent pad, so it's not as taut as it could be. I piled leaves underneath the floor and piled leaves along the side where the floor and wall meet to keep the wind out.
Last edited by Taurinor on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I quite like that tent set-up, Taurinor. However, I like the fact that, with the one Rik posted, you don't necessarily have to have a full 12' by 12' tarp. Seems like an awful lot of fabric to drag along for my taste - but then, I have yet to actually do it. Still, I may use the setup Rik posted when I go out in early July. I like the idea that it can be open to the fire on one side.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:I quite like that tent set-up, Taurinor. However, I like the fact that, with the one Rik posted, you don't necessarily have to have a full 12' by 12' tarp.
I use an 8'x8' tarp. I think the size really just depends on how tall you are/how much space you want.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Set the preliminary tent up last night and discovered that you can stretch polytarp taught but canvas is too heavy and stretched to the point that you can never get it tight enough. I ended up adding internal support poles along the sides to keep it from sagging into my face. I still lost the half the tent away from the opening.

I like the idea of a flat tarp I can use as a pack, rolling my gear inside. It is just the refinements in the tent that is a problem.
Maybe sew a line along the length to tie to trees???
Last edited by RikJohnson on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

RikJohnson wrote: I ended up adding internal support poles along the sides to keep it from sagging into my face. I still lost the half the tent away from the opening
Another way to add more space to the interior would be to tie lines off externally to pull the canvas outward. My tarp has loops down the center for this:

You can see the loop being used to pull the tarp taut in the right most picture. I learned how to set up a tarp like this from this video -

you don't want to add loops, you could use a pebble or coin to make a tie down point like this -

Also, TMI about why you're going to be away from established sites.
Last edited by Taurinor on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Cool!

And yeah, I must have missed you mentioning above that yours was 8X8. That sounds a little more manageable to me.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I'm thinking of adding tie-loops along the canvas every 1/3 if the way to give tie-down points.
It complicates the set-up but may be the only solution.
Designing and making archery/fishing/sewing/etc gear is easy compared to a workable tent that is comfortable, warm and dry.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

RikJohnson wrote:I will be in the wild the entire time as Robert wants to be far from campgrounds [edited]
Your occasional allusions to personal life typically stay just on the safe side of crossing a line, but that was unnecessary and inappropriate. Please bear in mind that this is a family-friendly forum, and think carefully about the unnecessary details you choose to include in your posts in the future. Please stick to pertinent details which we, as a forum, desire to read about.

Great info, as always, Taurinor!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/Stonedo ... .html?o=28

I carry an 8x8 if I carry a tarp....
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.