Fun little archery project.

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Fun little archery project.

Post by Ursus »

Every time I watch Ridley Scotts Robin Hood I always notice that Russell Crowe appears to use what look like small leather finger tabs. Inspired I stitched this pair based off the ones in the movie. I hit the range for a bit with my warbow and found that they do a great job. They protect well and even better they are weightless and easy to tuck into my waist pouch. Enjoy!
Attachments
tabs2.jpg
tabs2.jpg (95.29 KiB) Viewed 11892 times
tabs.jpg
tabs.jpg (87.39 KiB) Viewed 11892 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Fun little archery project.

Post by Kortoso »

Very neat!
I suppose you could even attach thongs to them and tie them to you wrist so they would never be far.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I would be concerned that the string would pull them off...what has experience shown?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:I would be concerned that the string would pull them off...what has experience shown?
I took very precise measurements of my fingers so they fit like a second skin. They take a minute to pull on but that's the only difficulty I have with them. The key was getting the right thickness of leather. I shot for about an hour yesterday with no slipping or pulling off.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very cool! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed those in the movie, heh. I've actually been meaning to make a pair like these for a while now, but I've sort of avoided it because I was always worried, like Greg, that they might not be very practical, because they might slip off with use. I'm glad you were the guinea-pig for this one, haha! I'll definitely have to whip some of these up! Maybe before my trek in July, so I don't have to carry my whole glove (which is somewhat modern, and has a Velcro wrist strap).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

How do they feel during menial tasks or combat? Could you chop veggies, toss them in a pot, Oberhau, and then shoot your bow?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:How do they feel during menial tasks or combat? Could you chop veggies, toss them in a pot, Oberhau, and then shoot your bow?
Lol, that's quite the obstacle course! I'll get back to you on that one. I really don't imagine wearing them when Im not shooting. Mainly their function is to cover my callouses when they start to get sore. A tip if you make some though, make them ever so slightly smaller than needed. Repeated pulling on, flexing fingers and sweat will allow them to stretch so smaller is better.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:How do they feel during menial tasks or combat? Could you chop veggies, toss them in a pot, Oberhau, and then shoot your bow?

I believe you mean Oberhau into chop veggies then toss them in a pot and finally, shoot your bow
:D
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I've noticed that too and glad to see they function
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

They do work well for casual shooting, but having field tested them extensively I do not plan on making them a part of my ranger kit.