ARROW SET TOOL

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

ARROW SET TOOL

Post by RikJohnson »

Mounting a broadhead onto a shaft is a literal pain, especially when you have to hold those sharp blades. So after seeing a rubber/plastic set in the 3-Rivers catalogue, I thought, “I can make a period-looking one of these far cheaper.”

As a poor and amature seamstress(?), I have lots of empty thread spools so grabbed a large wooden one, wrapped it in leather to prevent splitting and set the head into the hole, tapped, removed, filed and repeat.

Here is the result:

The thing is small, easy to handle and has three grooves on one end for triple blades, two grooves on the other end for double-bladed heads.

BTW, the head you see here is a standard 3-blade head that I filed down to imitate a swallowtail-head. I call it an “Orc Killer”!

I quickly realized that as well as it works, it may be too bulky and added extra (uneeded?) gear so thought a bit and came up with this idea.

This is the handle to my head-sharpener stone. As before, the side holds a 3-blade and a 2-blade head.

The first pic is a modified hunting head I filed into a swallowtail design, the second is a swallowtail from a set of 6 I bought on e-bay.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: ARROW SET TOOL

Post by Manveruon »

Cool idea! Looks very functional!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains