Making a sword grip.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Making a sword grip.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I wanted to run this by y'all before I got started. As I understand it sword grips consist of two peices of wood recessed to fit the tang glued together then wrapped, correct?

I'm not yet settled on the exact design or whether or not I want risers, but any general advice on grips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Making a sword grip.

Post by Peter Remling »

That's the most popular way. You can also do a single piece drilled out, but you have to have a good filler,ie: epoxy or something that will set hard and take up any airspace,(definately Not Gorilla glue) otherwise the torque can break the grip and the tang.

I tried Gorilla glue impregnated in cloth and jammed around the tang on a bone grip once and within a very short time the whole thing came loose.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Well that tells me I wont be using gorilla glue on the grip core halves.

What I'm doing is basically a collaborative effort with MAD on my sword...i'm nowhere near their level but for lack of a better term "collaborative effort" works. They are going to wedge and peen the pommel and guard and I will be doing the grip. So I have to go with a two piece grip core. Do you have a reccomendation on glue? I would like a good all around glue that could also be used to wrap the grip.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

If it's wood, any decent wood glue will do fine. If another substance try epoxy or even super/krazy glue as these will all give a secure hold. The wrap will just add more seurity to the whole thing.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Great. Thanks, Pete.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

R.D. i would sugest Tite bond 2 or 3. 3 being the best as it is water proof. cost about the same as other wood glues. and i have used them myself on my swords. also a great glue for sheild peices and bow making too.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'll look for it when I get ready to start, thanks for the reccomendation.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

On mine I've drilled holes in the tang, inserted brass pins through them, drilled holes on the inside of the grip pieces...and epoxy together. The pins doen't go all the way through so you don't see them from the outside. So far they've held up without a problem.

Siani
Nandalad!