bows

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

bows

Post by RikJohnson »

I made a new bow rack, the ndragged it outside with my Period bows.

From top to bottom:
45# d-section Longbow withg horn tips. I messed up the tips, cut the notch the wrong direction so need to be replaced as soon as I can get a new set of tips.
45# flat bow with horn tips
35# flatbow with wood tips
35# carriage bow (take apart)
35# "shorty" survival bow
45# Horse bow

All fro mGIBow(dot)com.
I've added arrow rests, my won wrapping, etc.

Sometimes I think that I pay that companies rent.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rhonin
Wayfarer

Re: bows

Post by Rhonin »

Man, looks good RikJohnson! I love the color of it! I'll have to expand mine soon since my wife is getting a new bow for her birthday... shhhh!

Here's mine:
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Both of those racks look really nice. Our rack only has three bows. I doubt we will be getting more anytime soon with twins on the way.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I have my main rack on the wall with most of my bows.
My modern recurves, etc are on another pic.

From top to bottom:
PSE Kingfisher take-down
some fiberglass bow I got just because it reminded me of mone I owned as a kid
a 15# Bear recurve I use for me Amazon Project and women just starting off.
Sioux 15# survival bow.

Not shown is a Take-down with wood handle and a 45# recurve that somehow vanished. I hope a 'guest' didn;t walk away with it as sometimkes happens.

I used 3 of my recurves and a half dozen knives as a trade-in for a kayak. And gave away my compound to a friend. But generally, I prefer the Longbow, the 34# flatbow, the horsebow and the kingfisher. I made a hardcase for the Shorty which i take on my kayak or hiking.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Rhonin wrote:Man, looks good RikJohnson! I love the color of it! I'll have to expand mine soon since my wife is getting a new bow for her birthday... shhhh!

Here's mine:

Tell me about your horesbow please?
Rhonin
Wayfarer

Post by Rhonin »

Hey RikJohnson!

My horse bow is a Toth Mongolian from http://www.thelongbowshop.com/categories/Bows/Horsebows

I love it. Its a great bow and as much as I love my longbows the idea of having this strapped to my quiver roaming through the woods as it begins to snow is quite appealing.

I normally shot a 55# - 60# longbow, but I found that I actually get faster arrows (due to the great structure of the horse bow) with a 50# horse bow. The handshock is light, not much more than a well made medieval style long bow, and its quick and accurate, but takes some getting used to the aiming.

If you're using ash as your shaft material i'd recommend 55# and above, if you're using Port Ordford Cedar, 50# is fine.

Let me know if you have specific questions!