Yuletide Gift Exchange - anyone interested?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Yuletide Gift Exchange - anyone interested?

Post by Eric C »

Manveruon wrote:I love this idea, and I'd love to be involved! I don't have a lot of time just now to post all the info you wanted, and I'm getting married on Saturday, so I likely won't for a few more days, but after that I can come back and take a closer look at this again. Any chance you could maybe stretch those deadlines you mentioned out, say, a week?
So, Saturday's the funeral... WEDDING!!! I mean wedding! :oops: Congrats! We wish you the best.
Eric C wrote:I'd love to get involved, but I need to see what I can do. My skill takes some time for me to produce anything. Besides.... I owe a few people here some blades. :oops:
I'm more confident that I can get a project done by the time allotted. So, I'm in if you'll have me.

Persona: Angarth is the head of his own small village after the death of his father, Ciradan during a counter offensive on an orc position. His village has been devastated in recent times and Angarth finds himself more at the forge than ranging. Though he does get out now and then with his scouts to make certain the orcs aren't returning. His son, Elyon thinks his father is perpetually in a bad mood, but Angarth has plans.

Skills: Primarily bladesmith.

Ideas: Surprise me. Just no spiders. :shock:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Okay, participation window is now closed.

Everyone who's in, you'll each get the name of your "gifting to" partner by Thursday night.
I've only gotten a few addresses so far, so if you haven't messaged me with your mailing address yet, please do so soon.

Thanks all - this is going to be fun!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, finally have some time to post properly! Hope you were able to count me in previously!

Anyway, here it goes...

Persona
I don't have my persona well fleshed-out, I'm afraid, but I think of Manveruon as being a quite exceptional ranger... insofar as he is exceptionally unexceptional. He likely lives in an area that does not see much "action," and so his skills are perhaps not up to the standards of those based in more dangerous lands. He also has an unfortunate tendency towards clumsiness, which has landed him in a few sticky situations (though he always manages to narrowly find a way out of them, somehow). Despite this, he tries in earnest, and is generally well liked among his fellows, mainly because of his skill as a singer, and his friendly, forgiving nature.

Skills:
I am a decent singer, and I also believe myself to be a fair lyricist (though I'm rather bad at coming up with original tunes). I am a fairly skilled visual artist, mostly working in pencil (you can see my DeviantArt profile here: (http://manveruon.deviantart.com/). Other than that, I do basic leatherwork, like dying, stitching, etc. but I have not learned tooling yet. I'm best at making pouches and things of that nature, but I have also made quivers, archery bracers, and other various and sundry basic leather items.

Ideas:
Soooo... There are actually a ton of ranger-related things I can think of that would be cool, but I'm by no means picky. I'm really just more eager to see what neat ideas people come up with. Still, if you're wanting a little inspiration... I love pipes, and have kind of a collection of them started (even though I don't smoke), so a cool all-wood pipe would be awesome. I'd be totally open to knives of various sorts - probably specifically a small folding knife, or a long-ish medieval utility knife, or trade knife. Right now my kit is lacking in large sacks and pouches, so a haversack or large, shoulder-strap pouch/bag of some kind would be lovely. I also need to get my hands on some smaller water-resistant or waterproof bags/pouches with which to store food on treks. Ummmm... wool socks? Knit wool fingerless gloves? Wool trousers would be lovely. A nice little box to put my flint, steel, and tinder in would be pretty great too.

Anyway, these are all just fairly random ideas, but I guess something practical would be nice, overall. Still, please don't feel held down to any of that stuff.

I'm excited!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Alright gentlemen - you should all have a name and address in your messages box now.
Just give me a holler if you don't see one.

Happy crafting!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ho exciting! Can't wait to dig in!

One thing though... I assume, to keep everything a secret, the people we are assigned to are not the same people who are assigned to us, correct? As in, I am assigned to Person A, who is assigned to Person B, who is assigned to Person C, an so on, so it works like a normal Secret Santa, right?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

You are correct sir. : )
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay cool :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

This project is going to be a touch different for me. :twisted: Good, a little bit of a challenge.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Received my assigned MERF-er, and got started today! Looking forward to this!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm excited! I've got a good idea of what I want to do (and I hope it will be a fun surprise for my gift-ee), but I haven't gotten started just yet. Still, I'm looking forward to the challenge! I hope I will have time to work on it this month, but since I'm leaving for my honeymoon on Wednesday, I might not be able to properly start until November.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

I'm sad to have missed this with my being in and out of the board for long periods. At the same time, I have limited skills with increasingly less time as my wife and I are expecting twins Jan/Feb. I do look forward to seeing what all is produced through this endeavor. It's always amazing to see the skills of fellow rangers on the forum and practical works of art everyone produces.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Be bringing your projects to a close, folks!

Also, keep an eye on your doorsteps...I just shipped mine today.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Mine will be shipping next Friday. So excited about this one!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Yes - so fun!

I got a little carried away with mine, but I've just got a quick finishing touch left to make tonight. It'll be in the mail by next Saturday. :)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Craaaaaaaaaaap, I'm running behind. It's... like... halfway done? I'm racing to the finish though, so hopefully I should have no problem getting it ready and mailed by the deadline. Fingers crossed.