My arming sword.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

My arming sword.

Post by Ursus »

Morning all, I wanted to take a few minutes and share some pics of the arming sword I built for myself a few years back. I don't often range with it but it is a fine blade to use in my I.33 work. This is built on a Hanwei Tinker viking blank that my wife got me for Christmas a few years back. It came with quite a fine point but I chose to refine it a bit more. The hilt components are bronze and were my first attempt at hilt fabrication back in '012. After I finished polishing them I took a small ball peened hammer and gave them a hammered finish and then aged them. The grip is hand dyed dark green leather over cord and is also my work. The scabbard was one of my first attempts at a slat method scabbard and fits like a glove. It is wrapped in a thin dark brown goatskin and has a homemade brass chape. This is what I think of as my standard issue sword. It has no name, no special crafting. It is just a plain, workmanlike, soldier sword. This blade, while not as dear as my longsword or as fine as some of my other arming swords, remains a favorite of mine. It is kind of like having that one old hammer that fits your hand just right despite having newer better made ones.

The stats are:
Overall length 36 1/2 inches
POB 3 1/2 from the guard
COP 9 inches
Attachments
image[2].jpeg
image[2].jpeg (142.87 KiB) Viewed 11177 times
image[1].jpeg
image[1].jpeg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 11177 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (90 KiB) Viewed 11177 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: My arming sword.

Post by Ursus »

The next few.
Attachments
image[5].jpeg
image[5].jpeg (110.36 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
image[4].jpeg
image[4].jpeg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
image[3].jpeg
image[3].jpeg (113.81 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Scabbard and the sword in hand.
Attachments
image[7].jpeg
image[7].jpeg (212.45 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
image[6].jpeg
image[6].jpeg (152.58 KiB) Viewed 11176 times

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!

I love the used / lived-with look of the thing. It looks like its got a history. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Simple, and effective. Nice.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

And the results of todays modification. As I said, these hilt parts were some of my early attempts at hand grinding components and as a result the raised center of the pommel in particular was somewhat misshapen. Two things here. One this sends my craftsman ocd into overdrive every time I notice it. The second part is due largely in thanks to the shape and style of the Albion Bayeux which is one of my biggest sword crushes. So this afternoon after posting the first round of pics I decided it was time. I broke out my angle grinder and a 120 grit flap wheel and got to work. About an hour later the pommel was smoothed and in the process of being re hammer finished. Now here we are all done and I must say I'm very pleased with the result.
Attachments
image[1] (2).jpeg
image[1] (2).jpeg (107.76 KiB) Viewed 11140 times
image (2).jpeg
image (2).jpeg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 11140 times

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Absolutely a thing of beauty! Very nice work!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That re-grind turned out very clean...specially for something done with an angle grinder.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:That re-grind turned out very clean...specially for something done with an angle grinder.
Thanks everyone. Greg, it took some time and patience for sure. It proved the best tool for the job as I wasn't willing to remove the peen and dismount the pommel. I wrapped a few layers of electrical tape around the grip at that end to spare the leather any damage. I really love the Hanwei Viking blank. I'd like to secure another and do something with an all organic hilt.

Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice bit of steel
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'