Cloaks

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Cloaks

Post by dwayne davis »

You know that was what i had been thinking. perhaps i have "viking brain" but when i read Tolkien's work i seem to picture every thing with a certain viking look to it.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sam,

How is your cloak coming? I have been working on something similar that I hope to have pics of next week. The thing is very comfortable, and I can't wait to try it on with some kit and gear and see how it wears. BTW, if you need more pics of Strider's cloak, go to http://www.warofthering.net/gallery/galleries/ and go through the FOTR galleries. Great close-ups!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Sam »

I've been mostly working on other projects while I umm'd and ahh'd about the design, dyes and measurements. Thanks for the link though, found some good stills which might help me actually get cracking. Going to do a full mock up soon. I'm afraid I'm a little shy when it comes the actual cutting :roll:
I would love to see the fruits of your labour though, whenever you're ready.

I'm fiddling with the hood too: rectangular or shaped, lining or not, layers and measurements... I reckon I will just do a rectangular 2 layer hood, no additional lining for now.

One thing, I would assume that having a seam down the center of the hood may mean that water will get in easily. But the material I have just wont fit without one. Is it really a problem?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

One thing, I would assume that having a seam down the center of the hood may mean that water will get in easily. But the material I have just wont fit without one. Is it really a problem?
My hood is a single piece, lined with linen. I know that the movie version has a rectangular top, but not sure how the stitches would handle rain and moisture unless made waterproof. I have a tutorial link that I will post when I find it that was very helpful.

Edit:

Here is the link, scroll down until you find the section on cloaks. Very helpful:

http://www.vikingage.com/av/viking-outfit.pdf
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

That's a really cool link thanks. It has some nice instructions.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

They are very easy to follow, Willrett, give it a try!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Hood seam; the Romans, Celtic Peoples, and Byzantines used them for centuries and don't seem to have had problems..mine hasn't been so far.

The aesthetic isn't as nice as a hood with a seamless top of course. I guess it would depend mostly on how one actually made the seam.

Good link there! Thanks!

Siani
Nandalad!