Five-Day Trekking Diet Challenge

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Five-Day Trekking Diet Challenge

Post by Greg »

Sounds an awful lot like the waybread in the need wallets of the Numenoreans in the Disaster of the Gladden fields. Thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Pardon the double-post...

Ursus, did you make your own Salt Pork, or did you use the Salt-cured bacon you mentioned last week instead? I'd be very interested in prep details for home-cured Salt Pork...particularly what cut of meat you're starting with. Pork Jowl bacon is a lot harder to find now that I'm not in the midwest, and I'd like to find something a little leaner, as the pork jowl is, like bacon...50%+ fat, so I'm missing out on protein that could be filling that space.

Also...is there any baking involved with that Trailbread recipe that I'm missing?
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I've never messed with salt pork, country ham, or the like, but if you want a non-bacon packable pork product to add to your trek menu, pick up a pre-cooked spiral-cut honey ham. Cut the slices off the bone, trim the fatty bits off and feed them to your dog, and then throw the meaty slices in a dehydrator for a few hours at 135-145ish. Honey ham jerky is the BEST.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:Pardon the double-post...

Ursus, did you make your own Salt Pork, or did you use the Salt-cured bacon you mentioned last week instead? I'd be very interested in prep details for home-cured Salt Pork...particularly what cut of meat you're starting with. Pork Jowl bacon is a lot harder to find now that I'm not in the midwest, and I'd like to find something a little leaner, as the pork jowl is, like bacon...50%+ fat, so I'm missing out on protein that could be filling that space.

Also...is there any baking involved with that Trailbread recipe that I'm missing?
Ah yes baking instructions would help I suppose. I do 15-20 minutes at 350.

The salt cured bacon is the same mentioned earlier and comes from Turkey Foot Trading Co. and is fantastic.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote: For those of you that think this is too 'hard core' for you, etc., bear in mind that this wasn't done to prove how awesome we are or anything like that. This was a way for someone who is NOT capable of going on a legitimate trek at the moment, due to schedule or any other reasons, to learn BEFOREHAND what their bodily needs are going to be for a real venture into the wilds. Food is not something you want to learn you need more of the hard way. Other things, like sleeping arrangements, can often benefit from the school of hard knocks, but food...that'd be a good thing to be confident in on your first trek.
So it's funny you mention this, because as I've been reading through all of your post-challenge updates, I've been thinking very much along the same lines, and I think that, if you decide to do this again in the not-too-distant future, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as well. It will require some *slightly* extraordinary preparation for me, since I obviously don't trek as often (and therefore, don't pack food for treks as often) as you guys do - and I know my wife will think I've lost my mind - but I think it would be a highly educational endeavor, and will help me plan better for my next trek. Especially since last time I found I packed WAY too much food, and it might be nice to cut down on some of that so as to eliminate unnecessary weight.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ursus, I decided to treat myself to two pounds of that Salt-cured bacon from Turkeyfoot Trading Co., among a few other choice tidbits. Should be here by friday; thanks for the tip! Looking forward to trying it out...just haven't been happy with the meat-protein situation in my menu.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Udwin...you mentioned rolling your doughballs for dumplings in the flour bag itself for convenience. Makes total sense, but I had a few questions.

1) Does doing this make the inside of your flour bag sticky over time, or does the rest of the flour keep that from being a problem? Any worries about mildewing over time, etc?

2) Is your flour bag waxed, or no? Any problems with the wax, if it is (ie. flour sticking to the wax and staying in the bag, thus having old stale flour in the bag over time, etc.)?
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:Ursus, I decided to treat myself to two pounds of that Salt-cured bacon from Turkeyfoot Trading Co., among a few other choice tidbits. Should be here by friday; thanks for the tip! Looking forward to trying it out...just haven't been happy with the meat-protein situation in my menu.

I love Turkey Foot Trading Co. I just put in for a sizable order of foodstuffs myself. I'm curious, have you got a chance to try the bacon yet? Personally I really enjoy it. These guys have become my go to source for trail food and other dry goods.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Greg wrote:Udwin...you mentioned rolling your doughballs for dumplings in the flour bag itself for convenience. Makes total sense, but I had a few questions.
1) Does doing this make the inside of your flour bag sticky over time, or does the rest of the flour keep that from being a problem? Any worries about mildewing over time, etc?
2) Is your flour bag waxed, or no? Any problems with the wax, if it is (ie. flour sticking to the wax and staying in the bag, thus having old stale flour in the bag over time, etc.)?
1) You make a little depression in the center of the flour, and pour a bit of water into that. Then stir (from around the water towards the center, maybe?) and a doughball forms. The dry flour that's not being mixed keeps the bag dry. To avoid mildew or mold...I guess just make a point of getting all the wet bits of flour (micro doughballs!) out before you store.

2) It is just plain, unwaxed cotton ticking; fairly tight weave. And it's all old stale flour over time. When I get back from an event or hike or whatever, I 'top off' all my various foodbags, then put them (excepting the tube of hardtack) in gallon ziplocks and throw 'em in the freezer.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I have made my own salt pork for Civil War events, it's pretty east to do but man is it salty! The first time I made it and prepared it, I didn't prepare it well enough when cooking,,so salty it almost made me throw up. You have to soak it, and boil it and change out the water several times.
Making it is pretty easy.
Get any cut of pork you want, I would get a small roast. Also get some pickling salt.
Make a brine with water and pickling salt by heating the water and dissolving as much salt as you can into it, then let it cool.
Get a container, I used a large Gladware container, large enough to hold your meat with space.
Lay down a layer of dry salt, then the meat, covered with more salt.
When your brine is cool, pour it over everything until submerged.
Stick it in the fridge for at least a week.
You can't take the sky from me.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

wulfgar wrote:I have made my own salt pork for Civil War events, it's pretty east to do but man is it salty! The first time I made it and prepared it, I didn't prepare it well enough when cooking,,so salty it almost made me throw up. You have to soak it, and boil it and change out the water several times.
Making it is pretty easy.
Get any cut of pork you want, I would get a small roast. Also get some pickling salt.
Make a brine with water and pickling salt by heating the water and dissolving as much salt as you can into it, then let it cool.
Get a container, I used a large Gladware container, large enough to hold your meat with space.
Lay down a layer of dry salt, then the meat, covered with more salt.
When your brine is cool, pour it over everything until submerged.
Stick it in the fridge for at least a week.

Are you laying down several layers with salt between each layer or are you just using a single chunk of pork ?
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Oh yes,,,cut the pork into slices or smaller chunks, and layer it like a salt and pork lasagna.
You can't take the sky from me.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

so I know this is a slight thread resurrection, but James Townsend and son over on his youtube channel talks about making salt pork and a variety of other items that might be appropriate for trekking and such. I know his store has been mentioned in other threads, and wasn't sure if everyone here was aware that he's also got a youtube channel or not. I'll post a link so it's easy to get to without hunting for it. https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson I haven't done any of these methods yet, but I plan on doing them as time and finances permit just to see their effectiveness and usability and will report back when I am able.