Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by Ringulf »

Well since it is nigh on to impossible to get the good old cold steel 18" or 12" seax knives anymore, (though you can still find a few floating around on ebay and such) I must admit I have felt rather defeated when looking at this project.
As you know I certainly like these little suckers and I had gotten a reputation for making throwing sets and custom pieces from them.

Take heart all of you who wanted to try this great conversion project!
I found that the Cold steel 18" latin machete can be substituted for the 18" seax with a minor tip cut (check with your local Moil for instructions LOL) and of course if you can make the 18", than you can also make the 12" and never wanting to waste good steel you can easily make a fine little by-knife or smaller worker like Gregs Hidey knife from what you have left.

Now if that was not enough to get you back on the project, a quick jaunt on the internet site or call to Lynn Thomson's Special Projects, will get you in touch with as many of these little beauties as you can shake a file at and what's more, "Cheeper Than Dirt " has them priced as their name implies.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ShopCart ... %2f9-39470

But if you are looking for a great deal on more than a fifty dollar order check this out!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cold-Steel-18 ... e/14245205

That's right Wally World has got most of the cold steel products including the norse , frontier, rifleman's and spike hawks too! I even found the Dane axe on there for $119.00! You may find these products for a bit less but when you factor in the shipping, Walmart is kicking butt on them all hands down. (on any order over 50 bucks) and can also send any order to the local store for free as well for you to pick up.

Now I have always kinda felt if I could go to the smaller hardware stores rather than Leows or Home Depot and shop at local groceries I was doing my part to help keep the american economy and the Ma and Pa small buisinesses strong, but when times get hard, you have to stay strong to survive them.
Lately I jump right in with the rest of the Walmartians...kinda blend in pretty well too which is a bit scary! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ringulf wrote:Well since it is nigh on to impossible to get the good old cold steel 18" or 12" seax knives anymore, (though you can still find a few floating around on ebay and such) I must admit I have felt rather defeated when looking at this project.
As you know I certainly like these little suckers and I had gotten a reputation for making throwing sets and custom pieces from them.

Take heart all of you who wanted to try this great conversion project!
I found that the Cold steel 18" latin machete can be substituted for the 18" seax with a minor tip cut (check with your local Moil for instructions LOL) and of course if you can make the 18", than you can also make the 12" and never wanting to waste good steel you can easily make a fine little by-knife or smaller worker like Gregs Hidey knife from what you have left.

Now if that was not enough to get you back on the project, a quick jaunt on the internet site or call to Lynn Thomson's Special Projects, will get you in touch with as many of these little beauties as you can shake a file at and what's more, "Cheeper Than Dirt " has them priced as their name implies.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ShopCart ... %2f9-39470

But if you are looking for a great deal on more than a fifty dollar order check this out!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cold-Steel-18 ... e/14245205

That's right Wally World has got most of the cold steel products including the norse , frontier, rifleman's and spike hawks too! I even found the Dane axe on there for $119.00! You may find these products for a bit less but when you factor in the shipping, Walmart is kicking butt on them all hands down. (on any order over 50 bucks) and can also send any order to the local store for free as well for you to pick up.

Now I have always kinda felt if I could go to the smaller hardware stores rather than Leows or Home Depot and shop at local groceries I was doing my part to help keep the american economy and the Ma and Pa small buisinesses strong, but when times get hard, you have to stay strong to survive them.
Lately I jump right in with the rest of the Walmartians...kinda blend in pretty well too which is a bit scary! :mrgreen:
I HAVE AN ALL NEW RESPECT FOR WALMART, and I cant stand walmart lol!!! I now know where Im gonna get the CS MAA Italian Longsword!!! Only $189!!! I can live with that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Wow, the whole walmart carrying cold steel thing is very surprising! Just seems odd tome that they supply legit medieval weapons now.

On a side note, I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the black 'Man at Arms' look. The hand and a half sword was much prettier in it's original form.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I like the black steel what can i say :wink: I figured a ranger would rather use a black steel than a shiny polished steel, thats why I patina all my weapons. BUT everyone likes their own things, I just like the rough and tough
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

You raise a fine point, I've just always preferred the natural look of a blade. I think also, if an item is one solid color, it takes away from it's character. The darkest I would go is damascus steel, but gods, it's expensive!!!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Look at the factory seconds for the seax machetes. I picked up 3 at $8 each and the only thing wrong is the grind of the edge is a hair off.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I did not know that they were still available I will have to get on the horn and see what's still hanging around! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

My friend recruited me to convert his boring old latin machete with a plastic handle, into an awesome, custom seax! I forgot to take a picture of the original blade before I tore into it, but here is my progress!

I busted off that horrible handle and sanded all the black paint off the blade.

Then I used the angle grinder with a thin wheel to clip the point to the seax style and flattened the rough edge with the bench grinder. I dipped it in water along the way to keep it cool.

Ill post more pics as it makes progress :mrgreen:
Attachments
100MEDIA$IMAG0069.jpg
100MEDIA$IMAG0069.jpg (160.07 KiB) Viewed 16393 times
dakotas knife.jpg
dakotas knife.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 16393 times
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Nice work! Machete-as-seax is one of my favorite and oldest short cuts. :)
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

I have both the 12" and 18" CS seax. I think I'm about to tear them down for a rebuild. Been meaning to, but now have a little better idea of how to rebuild them.