Mixed bits. ;)

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Mixed bits. ;)

Post by Eledhwen »

Photos of some of my kit. More to do with Medieval Hunting than with ME Rangering, but there is enough crossover. Included herein; back quiver w/outer pocket, arrows (some require maintenance/completion), bow stringer, belt with two pouches, 'table' knife, dark red wool mantled hood, hunting trousse, 'Robin Hood' hat with Hound & Hare badge, arrow bag, and large hunting horn sans strap (being worked on).

Nandalad!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Mixed bits. ;)

Post by Elleth »

Oh the hat's fun!

... is it leather? The texture doesn't read wool in the photos - but looks really cool.
Looks like both it and the black pouch have seen many happy wanderings. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The hood is wool. The hat is...'leather like'. Some kind of synthetic leather-look material. It still looks nice and it is fun to wear, so I kept it. I sometimes consider making one of leather, or wool, but...I have this one, and I have become kind of attached to it. LOL

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Love your arrows, reminding me I need to get serious with my kit again, and get a new bow lol Looks great, good Lady!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Thank you. :) I made Gregs' arrows much like my own, but he has a white cock feather rather than my own grey-barred white. All of my arrows have that fletching pattern...grey with grey barred white. :)

All of my hunting this year will be done with the bow and in medieval kit. I do this most every year. I have never taken a shot...though I have been less than twenty feet from deer on many occasions. I haven't the space for the meat, see, and I won't dishonor myself nor the prey through killing without need, or wasting the spirit of the slain. I just won't do it. Mostly I just practice my stalking and hunting skills such that if the day comes where I need to take game, there won't be a learning curve...I'll just take the shot.

I like animals more than people; I won't dishonor them for sport or pride.

That's just me. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Eledhwen wrote:Thank you. :) I made Gregs' arrows much like my own, but he has a white cock feather rather than my own grey-barred white. All of my arrows have that fletching pattern...grey with grey barred white. :)

All of my hunting this year will be done with the bow and in medieval kit. I do this most every year. I have never taken a shot...though I have been less than twenty feet from deer on many occasions. I haven't the space for the meat, see, and I won't dishonor myself nor the prey through killing without need, or wasting the spirit of the slain. I just won't do it. Mostly I just practice my stalking and hunting skills such that if the day comes where I need to take game, there won't be a learning curve...I'll just take the shot.

I like animals more than people; I won't dishonor them for sport or pride.

That's just me. ;)

Eledhwen
Much, MUCH respect for this concept. Well said. And thanks for the look at your kit! Everything looks great! I love the work you do on your arrows.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Very cool stuff
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Love the Robin Hood hat!
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Post by RikJohnson39 »

I am so jealous of people who make their own quivers.

I try and try and can never get the thing to look or work properly.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

I had a belt pouch exactly like that green one. Gave it to my old shire for a raffle.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

RikJohnson39 wrote:I am so jealous of people who make their own quivers.

I try and try and can never get the thing to look or work properly.
That is a nice one - I love the shearling!

Urthgard was nice enough to post a pattern of his: I've been planning on copying it later this year.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Sorry guys. I did not make the quiver, I simply modified it a bit. That green pouch...I have no memory of where I got it, but I do know I didn't make it. The hood, yeah, that is homemade, the arrows too. The horn is being carved, but again, I bought it, I didn't go get it raw and boil it (what a stink!). The knife I made isn't in this picture as it no longer has a grip due to my cleaning up the blade and making a new one with brass furniture.

The quiver is not hard to make, however. I took it completely apart and reassembled it. The shearling wool was only around the throat but adding to it, and making the bottom useful with broadheads, are part of the modifications. Different strap configuration. Change in the exterior pocket.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

I got the pouch from Revival Leather. Scott and Katie Adkins were friends from our days in the SCA at Auburn.