The Elves! The elves! What are we going to do with the Elves!

From Lorien to the Undying Lands...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: The Elves! The elves! What are we going to do with the Elves!

Post by Straelbora »

Darnokthemage wrote:Breeches and hosen/socks seem quite universal in the north. Anyone have examples of breech-like wear that look elven.
If I remember correctly from a book about the American Revolution, in colonial North America, the knee breech and hose was a specific mix. The breeches were very often deer hide leather, which is supple but not great when wet. The hose were woolen, which would stay warm even when wet from rubbing across dew in the grass, etc.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Darnokthemage »

Note that i do not agree with my thoughts on elves from before, i can do better nowadays.
Artist, larper and history lover.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Darnokthemage wrote:Note that i do not agree with my thoughts on elves from before, i can do better nowadays.
Would very much love to hear how your thoughts have evolved on Elves!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Darnokthemage »

To be honest, my current thoughts is that i'm not good enough of an artist to depict them. Perhaps the mirkwood elves are decent, i was always the most satisfied with them. But for example my Rivendell suff is awful.
But enough of that, i can line out my general thoughs of how Elves would have dressed. And what might be the difficulties with actually reenacting that in real life.

Mirkwood: I still like the theory of spider silk, but i think textiles from the forests are a thing that fits them, the undergrowth of Mirkwood would have been crafted into textiles. Perhaps Nettles, linen and hemp fabrics are fitting as a "substitute" for the real deal. I can see goats or sheep being herded by the Elves, and the wool being used in tunics and heavy cloaks.
If we do go with the "leaf tunics" i think they would have been used as outer garments, maybe made on a wool kirtle, with embroidered linen leaves being sewn onto it. As for trousers i think a pair of tight wool "tights" would work, with the feet on. Very stereotypically "fairy", but i think it could work, think connected hoses.
On that you would have leg wraps, small bands or a pair of leather breeches. The leather breeches could be worn by themselves with just a pair of linen underwear.
Shoes would be Legolas low shoes, made from leather and pointy.
Cloaks would likely have been "bocksten" ones, or perhaps Ponchos.

I'm not sure about much more, i think the Elves of Lindon would harvest sea-silk (google it) and weave it to textiles, perhaps that's where Elrond and Bilbo gets their silk.
Artist, larper and history lover.