Hooded Ranger Cloak?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Hooded Ranger Cloak?

Post by Iodo »

Awesome :P thanks a lot for that Elleth
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh - one more thing, since the ruana conversation reminded me: a Bocksten pattern with the seam shifted to the front absolutely does not work in my experience so far, assuming you're starting with a half-circle. It leaves your front entirely open to the weather. Stylish for sure, but not a good weather optiion. Bocksten the regular way I like well enough but it's not my favorite.

I'm still really liking the watch cloak, and well.... the ruana is basically the same thing, except with squared off ends and optionally longer.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:06 pm Oh - one more thing, since the ruana conversation reminded me: a Bocksten pattern with the seam shifted to the front absolutely does not work in my experience so far, assuming you're starting with a half-circle. It leaves your front entirely open to the weather. Stylish for sure, but not a good weather optiion. Bocksten the regular way I like well enough but it's not my favorite.

I'm still really liking the watch cloak, and well.... the ruana is basically the same thing, except with squared off ends and optionally longer.
Thanks Elleth, and I never did find time for this project but I did draft a pattern, and I made it from cheapish black wool (that I already had) for a witch costume for Halloween, it was a good chance to test how it functions in a similar weight of fabric without spending a lot money :mrgreen:

the one I made doesn't have a hood (you don't need one if your wearing a pointy hat) so I still haven't worked out the hood bit yet, but because it's for a costume I did design it in the way Shad mentioned in his recent video, where it's intended to show off garb so (much like cloaks worn by the hobbits in LOTR) it doesn't cover your front much, but the usual driving rain of Halloween in the UK did inspire me to work out a solution to that, I was actually planning to make a video about it but if I don't get around to that I'll post some photo's here
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.