Breeish Knife set

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Breeish Knife set

Post by caedmon »

And I have completed my first multi-knife sheath for my Breelander kit.

14th c. table knife and pricker, and a small utility by-knife (which I have shown before)
IMG_9194.jpg
IMG_9194.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
IMG_9196.jpg
IMG_9196.jpg (100.94 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Breeish Knife set

Post by Eofor »

Another lovely bit of work. I am quite excited to see it all together now.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Gorgeous work!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Cool!

... I recall seeing that knife pattern in the MoL book I think - is there any particular reason for that shape that you've discovered?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:44 am Cool!

... I recall seeing that knife pattern in the MoL book I think - is there any particular reason for that shape that you've discovered?

Yup, it's catalog item 124 in MOL's Knives & Scabbards

MOL_124.png
MOL_124.png (29.64 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
MOL_124annotation.png
MOL_124annotation.png (32.31 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
As for why, I have no idea. I like it, but don't know what it's for yet. As you can see, MOL calls it a stepped back, and I copied that. ...but I've seen Tod Cutler's interpretation of it, and his is a sharpened swedge. I do think the evidence bears it out, but he may have been able to handle the original.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Interesting!

... I'd occasionally wondered if the step was the result of a weld breaking off, but I didn't know enough about blade forging to even know if that's even plausible.
Maybe the shape was once for boning? Or someone just thought it was cool?

Regardless, neat!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Awesome work! What's next?!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

very nice work :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Greg post_id =51306 wrote:Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:27 pm Awesome work! What's next?!
Well, I have a large Dunedain fighting knife based on an irish scian with a highly decorated scabbard, a rebuild of the puuko that Farodel gave me (because my teen left it in fishing tackle box over winter), several bags and pouches, a soapstone pump drill, an antler dunedain star (old, but I don't think I've ever shared it.), a Snaptun inspired hearthstone, and about eight other things on my workbench.

(I hate to show Works in Progress, because I tend to put something down, look away and find that 2 years have passed.)
-Jack Horner

Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

caedmon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:37 pm (I hate to show Works in Progress, because I tend to put something down, look away and find that 2 years have passed.)
I understand, though I can't count the amount of times I have seen glimpses of a partly finished project, or raw idea inspire another.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

It looks really great, but I don't understand the shape of the longer knife. Can somebody explain why it's shaped like that?
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:02 pm It looks really great, but I don't understand the shape of the longer knife. Can somebody explain why it's shaped like that?
I don't think anyone really knows. Some people interpret it as a sharpened back that has been sharpened until it is ground down.

You want strange shapes in history, check out fish knives and panters (Both from MOL Knives & Scabbards):
fishknife.png
fishknife.png (173.11 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
panter.png
panter.png (38.19 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
panter2.png
panter2.png (21.49 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
-Jack Horner

Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

caedmon wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:59 pm
I don't think anyone really knows. Some people interpret it as a sharpened back that has been sharpened until it is ground down.

You want strange shapes in history, check out fish knives and panters (Both from MOL Knives & Scabbards):

fishknife.pngpanter.pngpanter2.png
Actually, I know exactly why they are shaped that way in Drawing 14. The open hook at the end is put under a peg or knob of some sort as a leverage fulcrum point, then rotate the handle side down SImilar to a paper cutter that has a hinge on one end. It's called a Clogger Stock Knife and they are used in everything from Leather work, to food, to wood work. Here is an example of one type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBANMy_74JA
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Hey talking about stepped back knives, check this one out.

double stepback.png
double stepback.png (71.14 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
double stepback 2.png
double stepback 2.png (58.73 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
-Jack Horner