What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by Iodo »

Those leather bottles are beautiful and really cool kit so far Turgolanas :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Ben Sinister wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:10 pm Recently made these water bottles. Each holds 32 oz.
Very nice!
Mind if I ask how you were able to plan for them to hold a quart? I've been trying to figure out a good way to anticipate how big I need to cut my leather & account for shaping/stretching to make a rectangular 32oz bottle but I'm stumped.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Turgolanas wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:26 pm Finished up the tunic and arm wraps, going to repair my cloak and then work on belt pouches next.
Hoo boy that's coming along from the last time I saw it, well done mate!
Ben Sinister wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:10 pm Recently made these water bottles. Each holds 32 oz.
That's some fine work Ben, how did you seal them? Wax or pitch? (or the dark arts of PE?)
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Everyone's stuff looks fantastic!

... I just finished the hem (finally) on my ruana experiment. I've worn it out once in the heat - with the front thrown back "cloak fashion" it's bearable, but not great. It's right around knee length front and back, and isn't much of a hindrance on hills or in brush.

I still need to figure out how I'm going to work the closure. I think a couple eyelets at the front and some cord, then if I'm feeling brave give it a nettle soak or something and try and get some green into it. We'll see.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jack wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:20 am
Jack wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:51 am Well... i should be working on soft kit but in typical ADHD fashion I got distracted and started making another haversack because i'm not happy with how much my first attempt bulges like a ravioli when full so version 2 is going to have maybe folds or gussets or something to give it... depth?
BUT before finishing that project I got sidetracked (and tired of breaking these cheap walmart needles at the eye and sinking them into my finger tips if I'm being honest) and started forging axe heads and carving handles.
The heads need a lot of finish work but the eyes on both are for the most part good to go, which has allowed me to put the cart before the horse and finish carving/fitting the handles (will come back and edit in WIP pics of both axes and haversack later since i dont want to get out of bed right now)
This axe tangent held my attention for a couple of days BUT not enough to prevent me from getting distracted AGAIN and trying to train Merlin (pictured below) to be a pack goat.
I'm quite certain this endeavor will not bear fruit but we did make a little progress today. The smart thing to do would be to (drop the idea altogether but failing that) revisit the idea with a bottle raised wether from the next batch of kids in the spring but we'll see. So yeah at this rate I'll have everything wrapped up in a decade or so lol

Totally forgot to comeback and add a WIP pic.

Ditched one of the 2 heads I made for now and will likely try to re-work it into a mattock or warhammer, the one pictured was the better of the two and closest to what I was trying to imitate. Still need to forge a ferrule and spike for the end of the handle, mount the head and oil everything. I also need to decide quickly once and for all if I want to incorporate some kind of steel langets before I hang the head.

As for the haversack I'm done hand stitching the body and lid (albeit ham-fistedly), just need to make/attach a shoulder strap, then dye and wax the whole thing.
Spiked end of shepherd's axe/ fokos/ valaška forged fitted and ready for riveting
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

oh very nice!

... also Merlin is adorable. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Finished up a few belt items, plus upgraded my waterskin and prototyped a quiver. Kit is definitely coming together!

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Hey, that's some nice progress! I like the shade of green for the tunic! Something bright and cheery is a very welcome change of place. The medieval period was full of color compared to the way it's portrayed in popular media. I like it!

Are those fabric wraps on the arms? That's rather interesting! I've been told there people in northeast European countries that wore wool arm wraps like that. One of the Baltic states I think. (Lithuania maybe?) I've never actually looked into myself so I can't say anything further. But I dig it! It's also a nice change of pace from the ubiquitous leather cuffs.

Well done!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Those are fabric wraps, the shirt is a bit poofy on the arms, so I added wraps to keep everything tight. I plan to do vambraces over them at some point though.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

VERY good beginning! Awesome! What sword is that?
Frodo lives!
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

It's a Ronin Katana Euro 5 - the Italian hand and a half longsword.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Turgolanas wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:05 pm Finished up a few belt items, plus upgraded my waterskin and prototyped a quiver. Kit is definitely coming together!
Nice looking kit :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jack wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:51 am Well... i should be working on soft kit but in typical ADHD fashion I got distracted and started making another haversack because i'm not happy with how much my first attempt bulges like a ravioli when full so version 2 is going to have maybe folds or gussets or something to give it... depth?
BUT before finishing that project I got sidetracked (and tired of breaking these cheap walmart needles at the eye and sinking them into my finger tips if I'm being honest) and started forging axe heads and carving handles.
The heads need a lot of finish work but the eyes on both are for the most part good to go, which has allowed me to put the cart before the horse and finish carving/fitting the handles (will come back and edit in WIP pics of both axes and haversack later since i dont want to get out of bed right now)
This axe tangent held my attention for a couple of days BUT not enough to prevent me from getting distracted AGAIN and trying to train Merlin (pictured below) to be a pack goat.
I'm quite certain this endeavor will not bear fruit but we did make a little progress today. The smart thing to do would be to (drop the idea altogether but failing that) revisit the idea with a bottle raised wether from the next batch of kids in the spring but we'll see. So yeah at this rate I'll have everything wrapped up in a decade or so lol

Totally forgot to comeback and add a WIP pic.

Ditched one of the 2 heads I made for now and will likely try to re-work it into a mattock or warhammer, the one pictured was the better of the two and closest to what I was trying to imitate. Still need to forge a ferrule and spike for the end of the handle, mount the head and oil everything. I also need to decide quickly once and for all if I want to incorporate some kind of steel langets before I hang the head.

As for the haversack I'm done hand stitching the body and lid (albeit ham-fistedly), just need to make/attach a shoulder strap, then dye and wax the whole thing.

Spiked end of shepherd's axe/ fokos/ valaška forged fitted and ready for riveting
Axe is finished!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Nice work Jack!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

awesome :P