Hello

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Faragon

Re: Hello

Post by Faragon »

Thanks
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Faragon wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 pm Kit Needs at the moment:
Trekking Boots - Looked at Bohemonds not sure if they are wide enough for my EE width feet.
Water Bottle
Belt - May try to make one myself. Been wanting to break into leatherworking. Made a Viking Shield with a leather rim a couple of years ago. Turned out ok, would have been better but rushed it and made a few mistakes.
Cloak - Anyone knows anybody who makes a good Bocksten style Cloak?
Belt Pouch - Another potential leatherworking project.
Snapsack - Anyone make these? Or does anyone have a good pattern/tutorial?
Regarding a Bocksten style cloak, it depends on your price point and sewing skills.

Cheapest would be finding a decent wool fabric and sewing it yourself. The pattern is readily available and pretty simple. A great video from Knyght Errant that goes into the details and construction of the cloak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrPbq0-laFM

If you want to skip that particular hassle, the first maker I would recommend would be our very own Owl over at Grommets. theowl is a long-time member of this forum and both Taylor Steiner and myself can vouch for the quality of his and his team's work.

https://grommetsleathercraft.com/produc ... ten-cloak/

Great quality fabric and highly customizable. I'm sure he might even be open to hand-stitching it should you want to take that extra step.

And if you're looking to really splurge on yourself, I can also give no higher recommendation than the folks over at ECHO Historical Textile which is a Ukrainian group that hand-weaves their own fabric and plant-dyes most of them. They typically focus on the early medieval period which can be several hundred years too early for the 14th c. Bocksten find but I know for a fact they've been commissioned for a full Bocksten outfit before which I've linked below. My own cloak is from ECHO and I know Eofor is similarly enamored by the quality of their work with his new warrior coat. Now, being that they are Ukrainian, they've had to deal with the war with Russia and shut down their tailoring service. But they've recently posted on Instagram indicating they are working on getting that back up and running. So if their work appeals to you, I would just advise you reach out on Etsy or via social media and ask if they'd be open to making one for you.

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricalText ... 821704916/
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

snapsacks are easy - you can get by with just a tube of cloth or leather and a knotted string at each end. It doesn't get much easier. :mrgreen:

Where do you want to carry it, and how much do you need it to hold? And do you have a particular picture or reference you'd like to emulate?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Faragon

Post by Faragon »

Cimrandir, I did a search on Bocksten Cloaks and Grommets Leathercraft came up. Will definitely look into contacting Owl about a cloak. Echo Historical Textile's work looks amazing but is outside of my price range at this time.

Elleth, I'm thinking something along the lines of Shadrack's, Ursus', and Sierra Strider's in style and size. I understand you are the crafter, great looking pieces; might want to commission one from you if you have the time. Or I could attempt to tackle it myself, not decided on that. Torn on whether I want one made of leather or a waxed linen. I definitely want it to have its own shoulder strap. Will carry it with a bedroll and eventually with a quiver. Plan to use it to carry my cook kit, foodstuffs, maybe a few tools, personal effects, spare socks, etc.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

With so many newcomers to the forums lately I just thought it may be a useful tool to get you all a handful of links which may help you with your aspirations in the hobby.

To begin with let me draw inspiration from Greg in the ‘Please read before posting’ thread at the top of the forum
We do not 'dress up' solely to dress up...we are after the heart of Middle-earth, and making it feel as real as possible. Because of this, you will find sparse cosplay and LARP discussion here. We do not discourage these activities, but understand that things that hinder sharp swords and hunting live quarry often do not receive the same attention as live fires in the backcountry.
This is the difference between this forum and other outlets for the hobby, if you’re here it’s because you want to LIVE Middle Earth or see those who do. To that end, as much as I encourage you to get out there and start in whatever kit you have, I’d really love to see that kit evolve into the one you dream of and hopefully these tools will help you on that path.

To begin, let me link to the home site of the Middle Earth Reenactment Society, a High Authenticity Organisation dedicated to the furthering of J.R.R. Tolkien cultural studies, within the framework of ‘historical’ reenactment.
They publish a quarterly newsletter (the back issues of which are all available on the site) containing all sorts of things such as researched articles, gear guides, advice on persona development and patterns and recipes.
It is an invaluable resource - https://edgeofthewild.org/

Secondly here is a link to a sticky thread in the getting started subforum written by Udwin outlining a logical progression within the hobby. One key part of this is persona development which I’ll elaborate on below.
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =36&t=3427

So lastly here is Udwin’s thread in which he gives a persona creation worksheet which is an essential tool in figuring out exactly who and what you’re trying to portray in Middle Earth.
Where do you live? How old are you? What are your goals and motivations? All questions you should have an answer to early on as they will help to shape your decisions in building your kit.
Developing a persona will also help expand your research skills as you check dates against major events and try to find locations on maps that match your geographical location and clothing choices. It expands your knowledge and appreciation of Tolkien's work and draws you deeper into his world.

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=3529

And here is a great example of this persona building in action

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=4432

I really hope these links are of some use to you, if ever you need advice then my door and those of your fellow rangers are always open.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Elleth, I'm thinking something along the lines of Shadrack's, Ursus', and Sierra Strider's in style and size. I understand you are the crafter, great looking pieces; might want to commission one from you if you have the time. Or I could attempt to tackle it myself, not decided on that. Torn on whether I want one made of leather or a waxed linen. I definitely want it to have its own shoulder strap. Will carry it with a bedroll and eventually with a quiver. Plan to use it to carry my cook kit, foodstuffs, maybe a few tools, personal effects, spare socks, etc.
While I'm afraid I don't have time for commissions, I'm happy to take some measurements and detail pictures for you.

Heavy fabric is easiest. Goatskin - especially lined goatskin - is my favorite, but it's a bit more work. Not technically challenging, just time consuming and a bit fiddly in places.

Regarding fabric, I've come to prefer hemp canvas for bags to most of the hemp canvas I've played with. Both will absolutely do the job just fine, but the hemp I've gotten tends to have a bit tighter weave, and I suspect will hold out against water rot over time. Not that I've ever had any problem with a pack falling apart, just that I've had linen clothes fall to rags and I figure the old timers used hemp in sails and tallship ropes for a reason.

I still prefer linen for clothes and just about everything else - but for packs I like hemp. This is the stuff I've liked best of what I've used -

https://www.hemptraders.com/CT-C18-p/ct-c18.htm
ORDER#: CT-C18 100% Hemp Canvas - Weight: 16.5 oz.

One yard is enough for several bags, so if you've got a buddy nearby in the hobby you might want to split the order. Happy trails! :mrgreen:

edit=> my default size (which I sort of arrived at by accident) is ~8" wide x ~21" long laid flat. Allow a couple extra inches at each end to fold over for the lacing and about an extra inch of width to fell the spine seam, and you're at a piece ~ 17" x 25"
So you should be able to get four out of a yard of 60" canvas, or one out of a middling sized goatskin with enough left over for a spine piece and a small pouch or two. I'm absolutely full up this weekend, but should have time the weekend following to put together a tutorial if there's interest.
Last edited by Elleth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Faragon

Post by Faragon »

Eofor thank you for the links and advice. I am working on developing a persona. Although there are some basic kit items I am looking to acquire/make as I am able: Boots, Waterskin/Waterbottle, Snapsack, Cloak, and Hood. I don't really want to venture too far beyond that until I get my persona fleshed out. Engaged in research at the moment, just reread the Hobbit, and started rereading the LOTR, will look at other sources afterwards. Also taking stock and reflecting on my current skill sets, skill sets I wish to learn, and my environment before I commit to a persona. I expect to be at this developing/planning stage for some time before I attempt to get a proper kit together.

Elleth, thank you for the advice concerning the Snapsack. When you have the time I would love to see a tutorial/guide on how to craft one. Have looked more closely at some examples here on the site and it doesn't look too difficult.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Faragon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:10 pm Eofor thank you for the links and advice. I am working on developing a persona. Although there are some basic kit items I am looking to acquire/make as I am able: Boots, Waterskin/Waterbottle, Snapsack, Cloak, and Hood. I don't really want to venture too far beyond that until I get my persona fleshed out. Engaged in research at the moment, just reread the Hobbit, and started rereading the LOTR, will look at other sources afterwards. Also taking stock and reflecting on my current skill sets, skill sets I wish to learn, and my environment before I commit to a persona. I expect to be at this developing/planning stage for some time before I attempt to get a proper kit together.
Measure twice, cut once. A philosophy I share - for better or worse. Sometimes, the paralysis of indecision can overwhelm me so it's nice to check in with the group for feedback and motivation. Always feel free to talk about what you're thinking about with at any given time. Have any current basic thoughts on where you'd like to head?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Faragon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:10 pm Eofor thank you for the links and advice. I am working on developing a persona. Although there are some basic kit items I am looking to acquire/make as I am able: Boots, Waterskin/Waterbottle, Snapsack, Cloak, and Hood. I don't really want to venture too far beyond that until I get my persona fleshed out. Engaged in research at the moment, just reread the Hobbit, and started rereading the LOTR, will look at other sources afterwards. Also taking stock and reflecting on my current skill sets, skill sets I wish to learn, and my environment before I commit to a persona. I expect to be at this developing/planning stage for some time before I attempt to get a proper kit together.

Elleth, thank you for the advice concerning the Snapsack. When you have the time I would love to see a tutorial/guide on how to craft one. Have looked more closely at some examples here on the site and it doesn't look too difficult.
What size are your shoes? I have some Bohemonds here that I can measure the width of for you if you like? If not then depending on your budget I can recommend a maker who makes shoes to measure - he has you send by mail outlines of your feet traced on paper and is regarded as one of the best. He only does historical designs though.

And please let me know if you want to bounce ideas off me for your persona.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Faragon wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:10 pm Although there are some basic kit items I am looking to acquire/make as I am able: Boots, Waterskin/Waterbottle, Snapsack, Cloak, and Hood. I don't really want to venture too far beyond that until I get my persona fleshed out.
As another member living in the hot and humid southeastern US (or Mid-Atlantic, depending on how you want to draw those lines :mrgreen: ), I think you've got your "to-do" basic kit items in the right general order! I love my hoods and cloak, but I don't get nearly as much use out of them as I do my water-carriers.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)