What's your opinion on a forum update?

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: What's your opinion on a forum update?

Post by Cimrandir »

I agree 100% that Getting Started should be the very first thing that folks see when they join. I’m just suggesting moving The Pony to be right underneath it for ease of welcoming and to populate the “Getting Started” forum with more than just the welcome threads. My two cents, of course.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think Getting Started makes sense where it is. I like that it's a great big sign right at the top for where to go. Prancing Pony is a nice place for welcomes, but I can understand why new folks might not notice that on the way in the door - I certainly don't think I would. :)

Wiki integration has always been a bit iffy - I think just because we've always had two big front doors without a lot of crosslinking. It's easy to come to the forum regularly and forget the wiki's even there. I could imagine going through the getting started threads and adding more crosslinking to the wiki, I could imagine importing all the wiki content into forum threads and closing down the wiki, I could imagine just leaving everything as is since it works fine. Reshuffling content is a lot of scutwork for I don't know how much benefit.

I do like giving MERS a bit more pride of place, though I know they've their own site as well. Hrm - a "best of" thread linking to MERS articles would also be nice (though I imagine will increase bandwidth costs since PDFs are heavier than forum threads)

I think mods are fine as is, unless we've actually lost people - in which case turning off some permissions until / unless they return makes sense. Heck, other than cleaning out spammers every now and again, I can't recall us needing a mod to step in ever in the last - what? Decade? Related, it's not my house, not my rules - but I wouldn't add any new ideological statements of any kind beyond the existing "Don't be an ass to people." If there's ever a problem, I trust Jack to put his foot down.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Breaking news! I was wrong about the Rings of Power being the biggest Tolkien related media for the foreseeable future. TheOneRing.net has just reported that a Swedish group has purchased Middle-earth Enterprises from The Saul Zaentz Company and is already exploring options for further movies and shows in the legendarium - specifically Aragorn.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/0 ... haracters/
The press release also states that other opportunities include exploring additional movies based on iconic characters such as Gandalf, Aragorn, Gollum, Galadriel, Eowyn and other characters from the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien, and continue to provide new opportunities for fans to explore this fictive world through merchandising and other experiences.
I think it's safe to say we're in it for the long-haul now. An Aragorn movie would definitely bring in a lot of new-comers.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Elleth wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm I think Getting Started makes sense where it is. I like that it's a great big sign right at the top for where to go. Prancing Pony is a nice place for welcomes, but I can understand why new folks might not notice that on the way in the door - I certainly don't think I would. :)
Indeed. I'm more wondering if we could use the "Getting Started" forum as a place to sort out the technical side of this hobby and the "Pony" as the personal side (if we move the entire forum closer to the top. I agree it certainly doesn't catch the eye half-way down the page.) Like I said, I agree that "Getting Started' should stay exactly where it is. But right now, it's full of "Hello, new person here" threads. I'm imagining that we use it instead for the basics. "Getting Started" implies showing how folks can get involved with this hobby instead of getting involved with the forum. I say we move the "How To's" into “Getting Started” (deleting “How To’s) and starting at the very least a thread about the basics (tunic, knives, water-carriers, etc.) This would in theory hopefully sort out a little bit of the confusion as to what we do and how we do it.

Elleth wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm Wiki integration has always been a bit iffy - I think just because we've always had two big front doors without a lot of crosslinking. It's easy to come to the forum regularly and forget the wiki's even there. I could imagine going through the getting started threads and adding more crosslinking to the wiki, I could imagine importing all the wiki content into forum threads and closing down the wiki, I could imagine just leaving everything as is since it works fine. Reshuffling content is a lot of scutwork for I don't know how much benefit.

I love the wiki if only for the searchability. The material database is sooo handy to just "Ctrl-F" to find exactly what I'm looking for. I, for one, would not vote to move the Wiki to the forum.

Elleth wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm I do like giving MERS a bit more pride of place, though I know they've their own site as well. Hrm - a "best of" thread linking to MERS articles would also be nice (though I imagine will increase bandwidth costs since PDFs are heavier than forum threads)

Yeah, I agree with trying to construct a "best-of' with the various threads and discussions we've had over the years. There's a wealth of knowledge just waiting for people to read it but sometimes the search function is not my friend. A list of the more in-depth threads we've had would help in cutting off some of the more frequent questions.

Elleth wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm I think mods are fine as is, unless we've actually lost people - in which case turning off some permissions until / unless they return makes sense. Heck, other than cleaning out spammers every now and again, I can't recall us needing a mod to step in ever in the last - what? Decade? Related, it's not my house, not my rules - but I wouldn't add any new ideological statements of any kind beyond the existing "Don't be an ass to people." If there's ever a problem, I trust Jack to put his foot down.
I pretty much agree about the lack of a need for new mods at the current moment. It's more idly wondering as to what happens when/if we get a large influx of people and the current active mods are overwhelmed. (May or may not happen)

And respectfully, I disagree with the categorizing of an inclusivity statement as "ideological." I don't think it is too much to say that a short statement declaring that we welcome all regardless of "race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and age" and that "it makes no difference as to your background when it comes to choosing a persona" would be anything as a good thing. To be 1000% crystal clear to the max, I DO NOT believe that we have any sort of issue with this with any of the members currently here. At all. I accuse no one of being anything the most kind and helpful folks I have ever known. This is solely to state our intentions loud and clear upfront to anyone that joins. The upcoming series has attracted a lot of attention for its casting choices and not all of the negativity is expressed in the most kind way if you catch my meaning. All I am suggesting is that we have a statement decrying those types of folks to head them off at the pass. I certainly never want to talk to or associate with anyone of the sort and I don't believe anyone here would either.
In addition, it would be my hope that a clear statement would signal to those that are traditionally marginalized that they are indeed welcome here. I know from talking with friends that sometimes they don't even bother with hobbies like this due to the perception gained from others that are louder than we. And if the group still doesn't feel this is necessary, I would maybe ask that we work on writing up a draft that can wait in the wings until (hopefully never) we need it. Like I said, better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.

I don't mean to make a large point of it but it's been on my mind recently. Eofor is aware of what I'm talking about but to tell the story shortly, I was recently involved with a small re-enactment type group that had splintered off from the SCA. They didn't tell me why and (this is my fault) I didn't ask. But as it turns out, the group had splintered off for some nasty reasons that I only discovered after doing a deeper search online. Things can be hidden well sometimes and I would just prefer we be upfront with our welcoming and background so we don't have folks wondering and possibly getting the wrong idea.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Hey Guys, I'm not against updates, but I don't have time to make them.

If there are any long time (i.e. trusted) forumites out there who are technically saavy and want to put their hand to it, I'd be happy to share access to the server.

As for upload size limits, etc. most of these are capped because of cost/transfer limits from my hosting service. I am happy to explore other hosting, a different plan, etc. If it's expensive, then we might need to look into a collection plate or something to cover costs, which I have been reticent to do in the past, but not opposed to.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm
And respectfully, I disagree with the categorizing of an inclusivity statement as "ideological." I don't think it is too much to say that a short statement declaring that we welcome all regardless of "race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and age" and that "it makes no difference as to your background when it comes to choosing a persona" would be anything as a good thing.
Personally I prefer the latter to the former. Saying that "it make no difference as to your backgound..." sounds real. An inclusivity statement with race, color, sex, age, national origin, etc. sounds to me like a corporate HR policy. (i.e. "We said it, don't sue us." )
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm The upcoming series has attracted a lot of attention for its casting choices and not all of the negativity is expressed in the most kind way if you catch my meaning. All I am suggesting is that we have a statement decrying those types of folks to head them off at the pass. I certainly never want to talk to or associate with anyone of the sort and I don't believe anyone here would either.
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm I know from talking with friends that sometimes they don't even bother with hobbies like this due to the perception gained from others that are louder than we.
I have been thinking about this a lot because of the misgivings that people (including me) have had about feared racial representation missteps in the new Amazon series. I don't think this should extend to what impressions we explore/accept from members. I don't think this is a contradiction, but I haven't said as much out loud.

I also don't want this to turn into a proxy front for the Culture War here. I am proud that this group has people from diverse backgrounds. Because of outside interactions I know we have Trumpian Conservatives, and far Leftists (and I really don't mean milche-toast American centrists, I mean anarcho-syndicalists), Gay people, devout Evangelicals, NeoPagans, Atheists,(and possibly a Muslim or two), as well as people from North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Australia. This has worked, I want it to stay working.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

caedmon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm
And respectfully, I disagree with the categorizing of an inclusivity statement as "ideological." I don't think it is too much to say that a short statement declaring that we welcome all regardless of "race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and age" and that "it makes no difference as to your background when it comes to choosing a persona" would be anything as a good thing.
Personally I prefer the latter to the former. Saying that "it make no difference as to your backgound..." sounds real. An inclusivity statement with race, color, sex, age, national origin, etc. sounds to me like a corporate HR policy. (i.e. "We said it, don't sue us." )
Aye, fair enough. Good intuition on the former. I just snagged a generic corporate statement for the full list as I didn't feel like writing it up myself hah. Though I will say that I was thinking more along the latter lines as well. Put our personal and Tolkien's Middle-earth touch on it. Far be it from me to suggest becoming more corporate.

caedmon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm The upcoming series has attracted a lot of attention for its casting choices and not all of the negativity is expressed in the most kind way if you catch my meaning. All I am suggesting is that we have a statement decrying those types of folks to head them off at the pass. I certainly never want to talk to or associate with anyone of the sort and I don't believe anyone here would either.
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm I know from talking with friends that sometimes they don't even bother with hobbies like this due to the perception gained from others that are louder than we.
I have been thinking about this a lot because of the misgivings that people (including me) have had about feared racial representation missteps in the new Amazon series. I don't think this should extend to what impressions we explore/accept from members. I don't think this is a contradiction, but I haven't said as much out loud.

I also don't want this to turn into a proxy front for the Culture War here. I am proud that this group has people from diverse backgrounds. Because of outside interactions I know we have Trumpian Conservatives, and far Leftists (and I really don't mean milche-toast American centrists, I mean anarcho-syndicalists), Gay people, devout Evangelicals, NeoPagans, Atheists,(and possibly a Muslim or two), as well as people from North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Australia. This has worked, I want it to stay working.
I concede the field and concur with your fear. Should this somehow become a "proxy front for the Culture War", I do believe I would delete my account and leave. And yes, I do find it a credit to this group that we are such a peaceful group with such a diverse set of worldviews. Again, I didn't mean to imply that this would become a huge factor of becoming a member here. I was just imagining a short little note (perhaps added to Greg's "Welcome! *Please Read Before Posting*" pin) stating much like I said above. Just in case we have someone try to come in and say "Oh, the Dúnedain were white." or "There were no Asian Hobbits" or whatever and we could tap the sign and have it already said. But like I said, I will happily accept whatever the group decides and it seems that I may have become overly concerned about not much at all. I concede the field. :D

With that out of the way, are there any other suggestions as to updating the forum? I have no technical expertise so unless I take a crash-course in phpBB coding, I cannot help take up the reins of the server.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm Indeed. I'm more wondering if we could use the "Getting Started" forum as a place to sort out the technical side of this hobby and the "Pony" as the personal side (if we move the entire forum closer to the top. I agree it certainly doesn't catch the eye half-way down the page.) Like I said, I agree that "Getting Started' should stay exactly where it is. But right now, it's full of "Hello, new person here" threads. I'm imagining that we use it instead for the basics. "Getting Started" implies showing how folks can get involved with this hobby instead of getting involved with the forum. I say we move the "How To's" into “Getting Started” (deleting “How To’s) and starting at the very least a thread about the basics (tunic, knives, water-carriers, etc.) This would in theory hopefully sort out a little bit of the confusion as to what we do and how we do it.

There are a lot of good ideas around this so far, I wholly agree with most of it, however:

caedmon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:20 pm Hey Guys, I'm not against updates, but I don't have time to make them.

Maybe we could take a different approach? Because IMHO we are overthinking this. I don't think we need to make masses of structural and UI changes/spend hours moving content from one place to another in order to achieve the desired effect. Instead maybe (if it's not to complicated) just move a handful of the most recent welcome threads over to "Prancing pony", leave everything else as is, and we can make a stickied and locked thread to sit at the top of "getting started" (where everyone will look) that is titled something along the lines of "New Members - Please read this before making your first post"

In this thread we can include a number of things, starting with a list of the forums boards and what content should be found in/posted in them (first and foremost where to introduce yourself)

we can also include a very basic rule list, and something along the lines of the following:

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm I don't think it is too much to say that a short statement declaring that we welcome all regardless of "race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and age" and that "it makes no difference as to your background when it comes to choosing a persona"

then a link to the wiki so people find out about it right at the start of there adventures, and that followed by (in order of decreasing importance) anything else new members should probably know in order to navigate/use the forum and wiki effectively

---

Further, I think the Getting started board should be more of an archive to help out new folks instead of just a place to ask questions about projects*, there is already some amazing and helpful content created by our fellow fourmites with just this intention but more is always better, so perhaps a collective effort is needed by everyone on the forum who can spare a little time in the coming weeks to create more of that helpful content for "getting started"? I don't mean spending many hours making in-depth tutorials, but just little bits of information that will help people out

I personally don't mind creating a better version of my imgur image uploading tutorial for desktop, maybe someone else (who uses mobile) could add to it with an equivalent tutorial for android users, because I feel that this is needed in getting started, even if it is slightly off topic? If you guys think it is to off topic it could stay in "How to's" it should at least be linked in the stickied thread I mentioned earlier (and given that "getting started" is becoming the place for tutorials, maybe "How to's" could be repurposed as a place for tutorials specifically about using the site and wiki? but that's probably too much of a layout change)

Maybe I could make one or two other things as well? I'll see how much time/ideas I get

Also if anyone does create anything for getting started, eg. a tutorial on how to make a snap-sack, it might be worth adding links in at the bottom to any good examples/other information of/about snap-sacks that us long time forumites would know about when new members would struggle to find it

Which leads me on to my final thing:

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm Yeah, I agree with trying to construct a "best-of' with the various threads and discussions we've had over the years. There's a wealth of knowledge just waiting for people to read it but sometimes the search function is not my friend. A list of the more in-depth threads we've had would help in cutting off some of the more frequent questions.

A best of thread, or possibly just a FAQ thread, where the answers can be given as direct links to threads that provide the answers would be an excellent idea. There is no real need to move content around, just make sure links are found in obvious places and I think it will work fine

*asking questions about projects should be done in the appropriate hard kit/soft kit/wood craft etc... sub-forums
---

I think that's about it for my "grand idea", what do you all think??? and please take it all with a pinch of salt because I'm no web designer, but I have been on a huge number of forums since I got my first computer (back when the Pentium 4 was considered high end) so I have seen a lot of what works vs what doesn't, but this forum IS ALREADY the best forum on the net, so trying to improve it is a task I feel I am far from worthy of :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd feel comfortable amending my "Welcome! Please read before posting" post to include some general forum rules along these lines. I'll try to take a stab at that this afternoon.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Iodo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm Indeed. I'm more wondering if we could use the "Getting Started" forum as a place to sort out the technical side of this hobby and the "Pony" as the personal side (if we move the entire forum closer to the top. I agree it certainly doesn't catch the eye half-way down the page.) Like I said, I agree that "Getting Started' should stay exactly where it is. But right now, it's full of "Hello, new person here" threads. I'm imagining that we use it instead for the basics. "Getting Started" implies showing how folks can get involved with this hobby instead of getting involved with the forum. I say we move the "How To's" into “Getting Started” (deleting “How To’s) and starting at the very least a thread about the basics (tunic, knives, water-carriers, etc.) This would in theory hopefully sort out a little bit of the confusion as to what we do and how we do it.

There are a lot of good ideas around this so far, I wholly agree with most of it, however:

caedmon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:20 pm Hey Guys, I'm not against updates, but I don't have time to make them.

Maybe we could take a different approach? Because IMHO we are overthinking this. I don't think we need to make masses of structural and UI changes/spend hours moving content from one place to another in order to achieve the desired effect. Instead maybe (if it's not to complicated) just move a handful of the most recent welcome threads over to "Prancing pony", leave everything else as is, and we can make a stickied and locked thread to sit at the top of "getting started" (where everyone will look) that is titled something along the lines of "New Members - Please read this before making your first post"

In this thread we can include a number of things, starting with a list of the forums boards and what content should be found in/posted in them (first and foremost where to introduce yourself)

we can also include a very basic rule list, and something along the lines of the following:

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm I don't think it is too much to say that a short statement declaring that we welcome all regardless of "race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and age" and that "it makes no difference as to your background when it comes to choosing a persona"

then a link to the wiki so people find out about it right at the start of there adventures, and that followed by (in order of decreasing importance) anything else new members should probably know in order to navigate/use the forum and wiki effectively

---

Further, I think the Getting started board should be more of an archive to help out new folks instead of just a place to ask questions about projects*, there is already some amazing and helpful content created by our fellow fourmites with just this intention but more is always better, so perhaps a collective effort is needed by everyone on the forum who can spare a little time in the coming weeks to create more of that helpful content for "getting started"? I don't mean spending many hours making in-depth tutorials, but just little bits of information that will help people out

I personally don't mind creating a better version of my imgur image uploading tutorial for desktop, maybe someone else (who uses mobile) could add to it with an equivalent tutorial for android users, because I feel that this is needed in getting started, even if it is slightly off topic? If you guys think it is to off topic it could stay in "How to's" it should at least be linked in the stickied thread I mentioned earlier (and given that "getting started" is becoming the place for tutorials, maybe "How to's" could be repurposed as a place for tutorials specifically about using the site and wiki? but that's probably too much of a layout change)

Maybe I could make one or two other things as well? I'll see how much time/ideas I get

Also if anyone does create anything for getting started, eg. a tutorial on how to make a snap-sack, it might be worth adding links in at the bottom to any good examples/other information of/about snap-sacks that us long time forumites would know about when new members would struggle to find it

Which leads me on to my final thing:

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:38 pm Yeah, I agree with trying to construct a "best-of' with the various threads and discussions we've had over the years. There's a wealth of knowledge just waiting for people to read it but sometimes the search function is not my friend. A list of the more in-depth threads we've had would help in cutting off some of the more frequent questions.

A best of thread, or possibly just a FAQ thread, where the answers can be given as direct links to threads that provide the answers would be an excellent idea. There is no real need to move content around, just make sure links are found in obvious places and I think it will work fine

*asking questions about projects should be done in the appropriate hard kit/soft kit/wood craft etc... sub-forums
---

I think that's about it for my "grand idea", what do you all think??? and please take it all with a pinch of salt because I'm no web designer, but I have been on a huge number of forums since I got my first computer (back when the Pentium 4 was considered high end) so I have seen a lot of what works vs what doesn't, but this forum IS ALREADY the best forum on the net, so trying to improve it is a task I feel I am far from worthy of :P
As a recent-ish newcomer I'd say a more obvious place to make your first introductory/welcome thread, a board guide, and a FAQ sound like great ideas that would have been super helpful staring out and like Iodo said wouldn't require structural and UI changes to the forums infrastructure. Also Iodo I think your imgur image uploading tutorial for desktop is fine as is.
I'm pretty technologically illiterate and even i was able to follow it relatively easily. I reference it everytime i upload an image because i always forget how exactly and it helps every single time lol
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 am I'd feel comfortable amending my "Welcome! Please read before posting" post to include some general forum rules along these lines. I'll try to take a stab at that this afternoon.
sorry, I had actually forgotten that post was a thing, I guess we just need more information in there and we would have most of what is needed :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

HOO-EE there’s a lot to take in here!
Firstly, I want to say that I think a lot of this is fantastic, in terms of us not getting complacent, and really trying to adapt to the ever-changing face of Tolkien fandom. New folks are indeed coming, and we definitely don’t want to get caught with our proverbial trews down, so good on Cimrandir for thinking that way!

Eofor also private-messaged me recently about the ongoing, and perpetually unfinished “Handbook” project, and y’know what, darnit, I’M GONNA FINISH THE THING IF IT KILLS ME. Tarurinor did a great job of banging up what we already had together into a functional document, so at least that version does exist, and is still extremely applicable to what we all do here, but I have a few specific ideas for how I would like my version to be organized, so I’m going to try really hard to hammer it out here ASAP. I’ll probably also be taking some detailed kit pictures to include, and I may even enlist some of you to help me out in that venture by snapping some of your own, if you’re good with it!
Overall, I just REALLY want to have a document that we can all be (mostly) happy with handing to a newcomer and saying “here - this tells you everything you need to know about what we do, and how to get started!”

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm 3. Regarding the "Getting Started" forum, I think if we move the various threads around, we could use it as a staging ground for the Kit Guide. First I would lock the sub-forum in general so that things don't get accidently posted there while we are working on things. But my idea is to utilize the sub-forum by breaking down the individual major kit items into their own threads (tunic, water-carriers, shoes, etc.):
This is kind of what I’ve tried to do with the sticky (or “announcement”) newcomer posts in the Misty Mountain Rangers Facebook group. It’s really nice to have a place to point to when someone has questions about basic kit items, instead of re-typing everything every time someone asks.

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm
- Second post would be a list of materials and why you would want to choose wool over linen or vice-versa or why chrome-tan isn't really that great, etc.
I’m planning on doing a bit of a write-up about different materials in the appendices of the Handbook, but I’m probably going to keep it relatively brief, because I want it to be easily digestible by total n00bs. Having something here on the forum with a bit more detail would be awesome.
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm - Fourth would be a display of individual's MERF/MERS kit that relates to the topic + links to forum discussions in the past that really delve into the subject.
This sounds a lot like the “complete kits” section of the wiki! It never really got fleshed out though.
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm - And then the last post would be a collection of links to where you could buy materials or a list of reputable craftsmen if they didn't want to go that far.
So as for this part, I have debated about this long and hard, but in the end, what I have started doing is totally avoiding links. Links die. Things sell out, companies go out of business, etc. Instead, what I’ve tried to do is to give people a ton of information on keywords and search terms they can use to find information for themselves. In the end, it’s kind of a give a man a fish/teach a man to fish thing. People will eventually need to learn to find resources for themselves. That’s not to say we can’t have a list of links anyway - I love a good link-repository. Just that I’ve been inclined to do this less and less over the years as the internet has changed.
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm The thought behind using threads is for easily linking to specifics so if someone is looking for what kind of trousers they need, we can link them directly to a discussion on just that. Of course, with a bit of editing, we can combine all the basic information in the threads into a overall Kit Guide.
Love this idea!
That being said, I would also be happy to just see the wiki fully fleshed out the way we always intended, but never quite achieved. It’s a fair deal of work though, so y’know, I get it.
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm - Maybe moving the MERS forum up slightly higher for more attention as there's some great discussions with the newsletter threads.
- Shift the "Review" forum down to the Trading Post with the "For Sale" and "Services" forums.
Yeah, this seems like a good call.

Anyway, good thoughts here, for sure! Gotta get back on that darned Handbook now!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:45 am So as for this part, I have debated about this long and hard, but in the end, what I have started doing is totally avoiding links. Links die. Things sell out, companies go out of business, etc...
Agreed, however links to suppliers that have existed for years aren't such a problem, I wouldn't link individual products because they come and go quite fast
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Iodo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:08 am
Manveruon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:45 am So as for this part, I have debated about this long and hard, but in the end, what I have started doing is totally avoiding links. Links die. Things sell out, companies go out of business, etc...
Agreed, however links to suppliers that have existed for years aren't such a problem, I wouldn't link individual products because they come and go quite fast
Yeah, totally fair point.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Instead, what I’ve tried to do is to give people a ton of information on keywords and search terms they can use to find information for themselves. In the end, it’s kind of a give a man a fish/teach a man to fish thing. People will eventually need to learn to find resources for themselves.
That is just brilliant. Links are good, but I can't count how many times I've tried to research something new, and 90%+ of the work was just trial-and-error trying to figure out what search terms to use. Very cool!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.