Audiobooks

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Eofor
Haeropada

Audiobooks

Post by Eofor »

For years now on account of my job I have found myself with more time and headspace to listen than to read and so of course I have delved the available Tolkien audiobooks but honestly some of them are not to my taste.
I expected far more from the Serkis versions to be honest and regretted paying the extraordinary price they asked for three books I already own in a dozen other formats. By far my favourite narrator is Christopher Lee who did the children of Hurin, it's like you are sitting at the feet of Saruman as he recants some long and ancient history.... sigh

Second to this is a version which I had only come across on youtube but which I have recently discovered was in fact
a fan created, full scale dramatized production of The Lord of the Rings in audio form. Incorporating all the music by Howard Shore, and sound design and intricate foley work combined with dramatic delivery of the voices to invent what has never been done before
If you haven't enjoyed this then you simply must. It's like reading the books with Howard Shore's wonderful score playing in the background. The reading and voice acting is exceptional and the soundscape created is a level of immersion that neither the films nor the books achieve on their own.

Gandalf reading The Book of Mazarbul and you can hear his whispers actually echo and the pages crackle in the background, the whistle of arrows, the clip clop of a horses hooves.

I don't know how it has escaped the attention of the various copyright holders this long but it is still available on soundcloud. I have preserved a copy on my drive for those of you who that can't listen via that format.

The project page, the creators are Root and Twig Soundscapes
https://www.create.green/lotr
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Audiobooks

Post by redhandfilms »

I just listened to the intro on that link. They say they are about to remove LotR from Soundcloud.

:!: :!: :!: ATTENTIONS EVERYONE!!! DOWNLOAD THIS NOW. IT IS GOING TO BE GONE AND HARD TO FIND SOON. NOVEMBER 23, 2022 SOON. 2 DAYS FROM NOW IT WILL BE GONE. :!: :!: :!:

Get it on a hard drive, flash drive, CD, pressed into vinyl, whatever. Trust me when I say everyone here wants a copy of this audiobook and very soon, you will not be able to easily find it online!

I've listened to Phil Dragash's fan version many times. I keep it on my phone. Make sure you've got an offline copy. It is absolutely one of the best audiobooks in the world (not just Tolkien, any book). Unfortunately, copyright stands in the way. I honestly just wish they would legalize this version. Take it, say it's now official, sell it, and give Phil Dragash and Howard Shore (he had no part in this audiobook, but his music was used) a small cut of everything.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Thank you both for bringing this audiobook to my attention. I had not heard of this version before. And thanks redhand for the update on it being taken down. I’ll be sure to download it tonight after I get home from work! I don’t usually do well with audiobooks but if this edition is as good as you both say, I’m willing to give it another shot!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

YES YES YES!
I am SO GLAD someone else here discovered that recording! I’ve been sort of chasing it around the internet for years now, because it keeps disappearing off various platforms. By FAR my favorite LotR audiobooks out there! I do have some quibbles with his pronunciations of a few things (he always seems to pronounce “ere” as “ear,” which drives me a bit nuts), and the fact that he obviously tries to mimic the actors’ various specific voices perhaps a bit too much (particularly Billy Boyd as Scottish-Pippin, which he’s not amazing at), but overall it really is spectacular. But of course, very very difficult to find.
I’m glad there is a dedicated copy somewhere. I never downloaded it because I never had the space on any of my various devices, but I think it’s time I found a way so I don’t potentially lose it forever.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

Good News. I found an internet archive link that is likely to stick around for longer. Bonus, it has options to download easily. Download a copy for every device you own!

The Fellowship of the Ring- https://archive.org/details/the-fellows ... il-dragash
The Two Towers - https://archive.org/details/the-two-tow ... il-dragash
The Return of the King - https://archive.org/details/the-return- ... il-dragash