Non-fantasy rangers, other hobbies?

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Re: Non-fantasy rangers, other hobbies?

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Ghostsoldier wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:41 pm I have done a lot of WW2 field tacticals... total immersion events for a couple of days at a time, with my USGI gear and Thompson SMG.

It's fun... plus, the threat/thrill of getting shot (with blanks) by the Wehrmacht while on patrol is always a plus.

Rob
There's an airsoft group in the south called SEARS (South East Airsoft Reenactment Society, I think) that does a lot of WWII, Vietnam, etc.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Jack wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:42 am Sure, I hike, camp, hunt, I scout public land during the off season, and I enjoy bushcrafting. I also do amateur field research and experiments as part of a citizen scientist project in my area collecting data on creatures that are thought to be extinct or extirpated like red wolves, "panthers", black bears, "relict hominids", and the ivory billed woodpecker which equates to a LOT of time spent out in the woods for days on end lol
MiketheBlacksmith wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:24 am Yes ,we can do that. But a duster with a 1873 Winchester in 44WCF better known as .44-40 and a pair of Richards Mason conversions in .44 Colt
Ah I see you're a man of culture as well,
Although personally I prefer my model 1886 in .50-110 WCF :lol:
Ah you must be really close to me then, if you're looking for Red Wolves. I know there's about 50 alive today, and my wife spotted one a few year ago, near Dahlonega.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:13 am Ah you must be really close to me then, if you're looking for Red Wolves. I know there's about 50 alive today, and my wife spotted one a few year ago, near Dahlonega.
The areas i haunt are actually in East Texas, the last time i heard an "official" number thrown out there was only 15 to 17 confirmed red wolves in eastern North Carolina with about 450 more in captivity. Those wolves are the offspring of what was supposed to be all of the last of the wolves trapped in East Texas, Louisiana, & Mississippi but i'm sure they had to have missed a few as i'm convinced they're still here just under the radar as ive heard their howls and seen what im sure were redwolf/coyote hybrid offspring (if not the red wolves themselves just in poor condition).

In any case its good to hear they're out by Dahlonega (Georgia correct?) as well. A good friend of mine who i know for certain knows the nuanced difference between a red wolf and a coyote has told me he's heard & seen them in Mississippi. I really hope these scattered remnants are enough to re-establish healthy populations someday.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:08 am As someone living in southern Appalachia, I hear what you're saying.
I'm just inside the edge of Appalachia in Ohio.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Peter Remling wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:21 pm
Iodo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:08 am does a hobby of wandering off path in the woods/mountains/wilderness for fun if in ranger gear or otherwise count? in Scotland I will often carry my favourite bushcraft gear set (that is all modern and light weight), hike somewhere wild, cook lunch over a fire box and stay for the day
Yes! Even in Middle earth Rangering it would count. First you are out in the woods and more importantly, you've garnered the skills. Anyone can hike, not everyone takes the time to learn how to use a flint and steel or to prepare a fire, determine what to take with you. Then probably more importantly than the rest is to be at home in the woods and comfortable with yourself and your abilitites.
Thanks :P very true, and while I can use a flint and steel to build a fire, it often comes down to how much weight I am prepared to carry, and how much room I have to bring all my modern hiking gear and all my ranger hiking gear (basically two different sets of stuff that does the same thing) on holidays to Scotland*, so I usually end up mixing up a lot of the stuff, then if I want to do landscape photography on a hike I can't go in ranger kit because I will have no way to carry/keep a camera+lenses, filters etc... dry but I can still bring my modern bush-craft kit that is nice and small/light

*Scottish highlands: the only truly free land in the UK where it is legal to do bush-craft (assuming the land is public and you are responsible - so no fires in summer when ground is dry etc...) because the "right to roam" law allows wild camping and gives you reason to need to do bush-craft in order to survive, so no "needing land owner permission" related complications
also: it's the only place in the UK where you can carry a knife (along with bush-craft equipment) and then give "bush-craft" as a valid reason for carrying a knife without also needing to carry proof of land owner permission to do bush-craft to avoid risking incriminating yourself with trespass and vandalism (disclaimer: I'm no law expert so do check this information for yourself)

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:10 am So I didn't peg you as Scottish based on your YouTube videos. Are you in southern Scotland? What's the terrain like on your area? When I think of Scotland, I think of huge moors that look painful to climb.

no, not Scottish based, but for reasons above I wish I was, and I travel there usually at least twice a year to enjoy the outdoors and have done for most of my life. What is the Terrain like? well, yes there are huge moors that are painful to climb, however there is also lot's of forest, stunning mountains and the scenery is worth it, it is my favorite place :P

there are some photo's in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=4006
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It's nice to get to know some of you a bit better.

Along with Heimir I'm part of a small yet focused early middle ages living history group. We focus on outdoor pursuits such as hiking, boating, camping etc. But where we really differ from most reenactment groups is our commitment to accuracy.

Between that, joining the Middle Earth Reenactment Society and helping others around the world with their stuff my time seems to be all taken up! I barely get time to read much or even write nowadays.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.