"Unpacked" Video Series

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: "Unpacked" Video Series

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Love the series... been watching them each time one is posted.

Like I said on Facebook... I like the fact that there's no talking being done; it's refreshing to see 'just the facts', with no narrative included.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Greg wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:11 pm For those who are following along, we're starting to cover bedrolls now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PogjSJGs6g&t=116s
Excellent! I've been waiting on this one as I still have Elleth's Icelandic wool blanket that needs to be configured.

Couple of questions -

1.) What's the reasoning on the waxed linen on the inside versus wrapped on the outside of the blanket to keep it dry and clean?
2.) Any particular reason for using rope for part of the tumpline instead of leather through out?
3.) How comfortable is it under the armpit? I am extremely hesitant to cut down Elleth's blanket because it is so nice already and I am tall so I need the extra length. But that means it's rather thick rolled up in such a fashion (and I have no real interest in a horseshoe roll). Any particular reason it's not strapped further up your back?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:31 amCouple of questions -

1.) What's the reasoning on the waxed linen on the inside versus wrapped on the outside of the blanket to keep it dry and clean?
2.) Any particular reason for using rope for part of the tumpline instead of leather through out?
3.) How comfortable is it under the armpit? I am extremely hesitant to cut down Elleth's blanket because it is so nice already and I am tall so I need the extra length. But that means it's rather thick rolled up in such a fashion (and I have no real interest in a horseshoe roll). Any particular reason it's not strapped further up your back?
1) If it's wet/rainiong, I'd wrap the groundsheet on the outside. The rest of the time, it'll be rubbing wax and lanolin all over my cloak, jerkin, and other layers of clothes. In the hot sun these treatments can even moisten and do worse. So I keep it "tucked" as much as possible.

2) I used to use a strap all the way through, but I got annoyed by how twisted up it could get when rolling the blankets around it. The rope doesn't mind getting twisted at all, and so after it's been rolled, I just line up the belt ends and everyone goes home happy.

3) I'm actually quite fond of it under the arm...did all 30 miles of our last trek like this. One part of the deal is just getting it to hang at the right height to not be literally up in the armpit, but not so low that it's banging around. I used to wear the roll across my back, but it requires a tighter strap to hold it there. This has seemed to add strain to my shoulder, as the tightness itself feels like weight, while the roll is constantly pulling downwards and back since there's nothing to balance the load front-to-back...essentially, the roll WANTS to be under the arm. So I let it, and now it's more comfortable. It also makes it easier to take off in a pinch, too. I'm supposed to be getting my hands on one of those blankets myself shortly, so *fingers crossed* I'll be be able to comment on that as well.

Does that answer your questions well enough?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

It does indeed! And it makes me happy I asked as I would never have thought of those problems until well after I was done making the bits. Collective knowledge eh?

With the recent posts in Elleth's Quiver and Gear thread and the pictures within, I'm still a little tempted to try the across the back lashed to the snapsack configuration but I'll definitely also try again with the under the arm set-up. Maybe it was the way I rolled it up the last time...

Thank you for the response!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I know I've said this before elsewhere, but to second Greg - things are going to slide around a bit anyway. And more, your shoulder will get tired if there's any real weight there (this is why I'm not a fan at all of the "lash extra things to the quiver" approach). The nice thing about an extra bedroll strap is that the weight can be moved from one shoulder to the next to both as you're moving along.

edit - to clarify the above, since it might not be clear from context: small things like a short narrow snapsack or the pouches WETA used on an Ithilian ranger - just enough for a spare bowstring, some wax, maybe a spare fire kit or single piece of cram - I think are very much at home on the quiver strap. Think a half a pound or so of "stuff that goes with the bow, and maybe some extra emergency things you don't want to be easily separated from."

Eight or twelve extra pounds of blankets and spare socks on the same strap as the quiver I think is not a good idea.

Other's experiences may differ, of course. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Right. To be clear, this was the configuration I was referring to. I don't think I would ever attach anything to the quiver itself. But I like the way you have it set up here Elleth. Having the straps criss-crossing here and almost supporting each other seems right to me. I have my crannog bag on my right shoulder running to my left hip with my eventual quiver and then my water flacket on my left shoulder running to my right. Hmm, adding the water to that shoulder with the rest of my things seems like maybe a bit too much weight for one shoulder. I worry about three straps on one shoulder but maybe I can make it work.
merf-dunedain-ranger-quiver-snapsack-02-baggage.jpg
merf-dunedain-ranger-quiver-snapsack-02-baggage.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 19671 times
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm pretty much in agreement with Elleth here, though I think my snapsack on the quiver outweighs her preference by a little...but not a ton. I'll have to weight that snapsack with a full load of dry goods sometime and see what it really comes out to...but the feeling on the shoulder closely mirrors what she's saying here. The wool hood beneath the strap cushions nicely, and I don't really notice the weight. The bedroll, on the other hand, is definitely felt/noticed, and benefits from being able to shift it around a bit, etc.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Elleth wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:02 am I love the "apples for walking!"
Yeah I wasn't expecting it and broke out into the biggest smile. Another great video Greg, the simple no talking is still winning.

Cimrandir wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:20 am I have my crannog bag on my right shoulder running to my left hip with my eventual quiver and then my water flacket on my left shoulder running to my right.
Sounds like you're getting dangerously close to a complete kit there Cim :mrgreen:
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg

Post by Greg »

We've dropped another! This week, we're unpacking the belt on Udwin's recently posted Second Age 'Gwathuirim' persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAsr5Xu ... Qj54AaABAg

Enjoy!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow!
Frodo lives!
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Barandir »

The video popped up on my Recommended page a couple hours after it dropped. Udwin, I loved this video! can't wait to see a pack video!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is just so cool. Well done Udwin!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.