Rings of Power- Your thoughts?

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Rings of Power- Your thoughts?

Post by caedmon »

Odigan wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:33 pm I've found this anvil to be an accurate metaphor for the whole show.
Wait, that’s really an anvil in the show!?! That hardy and pritchel are literally in the middle. Better not drift anything all the way through! At least it’s radius’ed to the same angle all the way round.

Also I know it's "elven", but that's a crazy clean and unused smithy.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

caedmon wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 pm Wait, that’s really an anvil in the show!?!
Yes.
I feel it summarizes the show's habit of mimicry without understanding.
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

I'll pipe in here now that its been several months since it dropped. Ever since I heard about this 'deal' the Tolkien Estate made with Amazon, I didn't have high hopes for anything good to come from it. Basically what they paid for was the television series rights that Tolkien withheld in his original deal when he sold rights to United Artists in the 1960's. Those rights were eventually acquired by Saul Zaentz in 1976 and has led to the various games, cartoons, and movies through the years. So what Amazon bought was not a lot. They had to make 8 episodes and they done that. They plan on four more 'seasons'. With the Tolkien Estate standing over the production, it had to be hard to write anything of substance. I didn't expect much, and at the risk of being labeled an 'Amazon schill' here, I'll say I didn't think it deserved the vitriol that it got before showing one episode.

Anyway, I already had Amazon Prime for other streaming content, so I watched Rings of Power and had a 'WTH' thought bubble over my head. After 4 episodes, I paused watching until the last four episodes had released and binged through it then. My thought s were it could have been good, but the writing was really shallow. The weekly episode format didn't do it any favors, as it seemed to make more sense in the binge format. I did rewatch all eight episodes about a month later. There was some good in the chaff, but too much of it was quite vapid. Since Peter Jackson kicked down the door with his wholesale changes to Lord of the Rings, I expected they would make wholesale changes to lore here since the precedent was set. I wasn't disappointed in that, though I gave Rings of Power more leeway than I did Peter Jackson since they didn't have a complete book story to use. Will I watch the next installment? Yes. I don't have high hopes for it getting better, but I went in with a low bar, and I hope it does no worse.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor