Southeast Ranger's Camp, May 19th-21st 2023, Dockery Lake, Georgia.

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Southeast Ranger's Camp, May 19th-21st 2023, Dockery Lake, Georgia.

Post by redhandfilms »

The Southeast Middle-Earth Ranger Society is planning a camp out for May 19th - May 21st at Dockery Lake in North Georgia. I invite any Rangers, family, and friends to join us. If you're in the Southeast US please join the Southeast Middle-Earth Ranger Society group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/431693215250644/

A horn blows in the distance, summoning rangers to meet.
Rangers, one and all, are hereby in called to gather in fellowship, to camp and trek in the wild woods of North Georgia.
When: Friday, May 19th - Sunday May 21st. Arrive Friday evening or early Saturday morning.
Where: Dockery Lake Recreation Area. North of Dahlonega, GA, on Highway 60.
We have a campsite reserved at the Dockery Lake Campground. More sites may be reserved as needed if more people attend. Dockery Lake is good for fishing (make sure you have a license if you wish to fish), has a gentle trail around the lake, and a trail connecting to the Appalachian Trail.
Activities may include hiking, cooking, drinking, smoking, archery (if we can find and set up a safe place), photography and bushcraft/ranger skills.
There is also an opportunity for an overnight backpacking trek away from base camp at Dockery Lake. This would be a 6 mile trek from Dockery Lake to Woody Gap. Hiking out Saturday, its about 3 miles to the Appalachian Trail and camping near the trail intersection. Then Sunday, its another 3 miles South on the AT to Woody Gap, taking us through scenic Mountain overlooks at Apollo's Gap and Preacher's Rock.
Please let us know if you can attend and we will discuss further logistics on the Facebook event page.
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Re: Southeast Ranger's Camp, May 19th-21st 2023, Dockery Lake, Georgia.

Post by Thalion of Bree »

Blast it. Every time there's an outing in my area, I'm at work. Oh well; y'all have fun!
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Thalion of Bree wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:02 pm Blast it. Every time there's an outing in my area, I'm at work. Oh well; y'all have fun!
By all means, let us know next time you’re going out. If you’re up for it, there’s no reason any solo hike can’t become an outing for 2 or 3. Even if it’s just a random weekend morning hike, I’m up for it!
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

Well, by "my area," I mostly mean "the South." I live in Arkansas, which would probably be something of a drive for a lot of folks. I can let y'all know, though, and if it's feasible, I'll do my best to let you know ahead of time.
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

It's this weekend! Might just be myself and one other, but I can't wait!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Have fun! Wish I was over there more often so I could join in!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Still bummed I missed it, but it's been a busy month for me with familial obligations. Should be all clear going forward however. Maybe it'll give me time to order and craft some more gear lol.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:47 am Maybe it'll give me time to order and craft some more gear lol.
What are you working on? Jared had talked about getting together for some crafting.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Here is the video from that trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U4LZ4p5WAk
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Lovely work Redhand, I've said as much to Iodo in the past but I think that showing how things are done in inclement weather really hammers home the difference between what we do and the costume based approach.

You know I'm not being critical but I have to ask what are your plans to upgrade away from some of the more modern looking cooking gear? It kinda broke the immersion for me a little bit when I saw the grill in particular.
Last edited by Eofor on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Eofor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:41 am ...plans to upgrade away from some of the more modern looking cooking gear? It kinda broke the immersion for me a little bit when I saw the grill in particular.
I understand. I'm working on upgrades, but "period" cook gear light enough for trekking seems to be one of the hardest things to find. I specifically got that grill as it folds up small enough to fit in the flint and steel kit I got. It also fits with the folding mini stove from my first video. Throw in some foil, and it gives me a compact "leave no trace" fire kit for areas without fire pits, something a ranger in Middle-Earth wouldn't have to deal with. Eventually, I'll upgrade, but I've yet to find a forged grill that would work for me.
Right now, my entire kit of flint, steel, charcloth, tin, tinder, candle, folding stove, foil, folding grill, and backup ferro rod and matches, all fit into this pouch. About 6"x4"

Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

redhandfilms wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:42 pm I understand. I'm working on upgrades, but "period" cook gear light enough for trekking seems to be one of the hardest things to find. I specifically got that grill as it folds up small enough to fit in the flint and steel kit I got. It also fits with the folding mini stove from my first video. Throw in some foil, and it gives me a compact "leave no trace" fire kit for areas without fire pits, something a ranger in Middle-Earth wouldn't have to deal with. Eventually, I'll upgrade, but I've yet to find a forged grill that would work for me.
Right now, my entire kit of flint, steel, charcloth, tin, tinder, candle, folding stove, foil, folding grill, and backup ferro rod and matches, all fit into this pouch. About 6"x4"
I just use a cup for everything, even at home. Cereal, Chili, Stew/ All I need is a heat source and it's a lot less to carry.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

redhandfilms wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:42 pm Eventually, I'll upgrade, but I've yet to find a forged grill that would work for me.
I get it, and I understand your reasoning it just stood out a bit. Perhaps you might need to design and commission something yourself? Elleths little cookpot from Royal Oak is still one of my all time favourite thigns.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.