What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by Eofor »

Ugh, look how clean Andy's work bench is compared to mine...... Thats bench shaming.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Eofor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:29 am Ugh, look how clean Andy's work bench is compared to mine...... Thats bench shaming.
Ha!
I am usually pretty good about keeping things in order with this bench. Especially with arrows.
The garage bench is another matter.
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

currently have a mess of projects going...
Learning book binding to make a small journal and sales book
Started pulling threads to make a linen under tunic, and just found some wool scraps at the thrift shop to make into something....
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

Barandir wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:30 am The blade is a Ronin Katana Medieval Saber; not necessarily what most think of as a Ranger blade, but still one of my favorites.
You got me looking at Ronin Katana at the right time. Their annual Scratch and Dent sale is going on. I got an Italian Hand and a Half for $230! I'd love to see the full process of your scabbard build. I'm adding that to my project list.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Megan: Thats a nice machine, treadle or 'Lectric?
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

The Free brand treadle machine. I only run treadle machines. Hoping to get my davis brand head rebuilt sometime, since it survived the house fire.\
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

redhandfilms wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:04 pm I'd love to see the full process of your scabbard build. I'm adding that to my project list.
I don’t have any more pictures of the process for that one, but I have some others in progress that I will try to capture more thoroughly this time!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Meganbeyer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:25 pm The Free brand treadle machine. I only run treadle machines. Hoping to get my davis brand head rebuilt sometime, since it survived the house fire.\
Ah, all mine are handcrank, a couple of Singers and a Standard..... Currently refurbing a Singer with a shuttle that was rusted solid when I got it.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:43 pm Ah, all mine are handcrank, a couple of Singers and a Standard..... Currently refurbing a Singer with a shuttle that was rusted solid when I got it.
cool, I use a singer handcrank, it was a family heirloom belonging to a friend from work and had been left in a shed for a long time, it was well rusted up and it took me about a month to get it working
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

The one thing I haven't had sorted out for my Second Age kit has been a suitable water container. I figured a waterskin of some sort would be most appropriate but didn't know much beyond that...idly checked facebook market for a bota a few months ago but didn't pursue any too far. Then, this week I was making a quick swing through the local thrift shop and spotted two classic botas...you know the kind. I immediately snagged them up for $2 each and knew what they'd need to fix. Took the leather sleeve apart, replaced the vinyl strip with some deer leather, and sewed back together inside out. Squished the bladder together like a ship-in-a-bottle and then reinflated it once it was inside. Filed the threads off on the plastic mouthpiece to fit a section of sheep bone over it, then lashed the leather over the plastic mouthpiece with sinew cordage (tightens as it dries). Whittled up an oak stopple to fit inside...only leaks a tiny bit ; ) Pretty pleased for a 48-hour project. Now to convert the second one!

Since I did not include the strap-retaining tabs when reassembling, I plan on making a net bag to carry the waterskin.
Attachments
MERF-bota1.jpg
MERF-bota1.jpg (198.69 KiB) Viewed 19503 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Udwin wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:40 am The one thing I haven't had sorted out for my Second Age kit has been a suitable water container. I figured a waterskin of some sort would be most appropriate but didn't know much beyond that...idly checked facebook market for a bota a few months ago but didn't pursue any too far. Then, this week I was making a quick swing through the local thrift shop and spotted two classic botas...you know the kind. I immediately snagged them up for $2 each and knew what they'd need to fix. Took the leather sleeve apart, replaced the vinyl strip with some deer leather, and sewed back together inside out. Squished the bladder together like a ship-in-a-bottle and then reinflated it once it was inside. Filed the threads off on the plastic mouthpiece to fit a section of sheep bone over it, then lashed the leather over the plastic mouthpiece with sinew cordage (tightens as it dries). Whittled up an oak stopple to fit inside...only leaks a tiny bit ; ) Pretty pleased for a 48-hour project. Now to convert the second one!

Since I did not include the strap-retaining tabs when reassembling, I plan on making a net bag to carry the waterskin.
Love it! Looks like your attempt was considerably more successful than my own. I definitely want to try my hand at this again soon.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

I did something like that for my first waterskin, until the plastic liner sprung a leak. I liked it, handy and comfortable.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's a STUNNING conversion, Udwin!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I've done some with soft liners, hard plastic liners (hard to find these days) and Grolsch Beer Bottles. The Grolsch bottles have a spring/ceramic cap, so their easy to make. I made a tutorial on here almost 20 years ago and another good thing is you can generally buy them from a beer/soda distributor, for the recycling deposit or a little bit more. The hard plastic botas are the toughest of the three. I've popped several of the soft liners and broken the glass on a Grolsch one in the car after an event. You can also use wine corks and many wineshops that do taste testing will let you have soem for nothing.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

I’m finally finishing up a batch arrows. Fourteen for Rangering and 5 for 3D courses. Those five will have bright yellow fletching as I tend to take some risky shots on 3D courses and need arrows a bit easier to find when they zing past the target.

I use Douglas Fir shafts spined for my bows draw weight, Full length Trueflight feathers, and 125gr&150gr points.
They shoot well with decent penetration. I really need to do some penetration test soon using the short bodkins, long bodkins and broadheads.