Field forge for a Dwarven Ranger

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Vestri Vaalison

Field forge for a Dwarven Ranger

Post by Vestri Vaalison »

So it occurred to me from a physical culture perspective a hammer and anvil on top of being practical items for a dwarf also border on being religious icons, as such it seems logical both from a practical and cultural stand point a dwarf ranger would have some kind of kit to do minor repairs or reforge a little fiddly bit. Right now have a small viking stump anvil on the way as well as a cross peen hammer and a ball peen hammer. Probably just going to make a set of bag bellow which take a little more work to operate but should pack down smaller and potentially even be used for stowing the field forger parts inside of while in transit. Working on figuring out what to carry for tongs, a set of wolf jaws and a small scrolling plier come to mind from a versatility stand point. Also trying to come up with a reasonable tube to carry the air from the bellows into the bottom of the coal pile other than 2 pieces of copper pipe (one for each bellow). Happy for any feedback or ideas and will definitely post some photos as everything comes in.
My clan dwelled in Gabilgathol at the first age,
My forefathers were at the slaying of Glaurung,
We are Firebeards and we stand with Durin's Folk,
Until we call the Blue Mountains home again

Hill Warden of Evendim and ally to The Twilight Company
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Field forge for a Dwarven Ranger

Post by Peter Remling »

For a quick field forge: a regular fireplace bellows, no extension needed. First dig out the equivalent of a large Dakota firepit, line the main compartment with stone (not from a streambed or anywhere else that might have been immersed in water- they can absorb water and explode when the absorbed water turns to steam). Light it with wood and feed it through the "wing" holes/shafts. After it has been burning for a bit start feeding the main compartment with charcoal and possibly coal. I'd recommend sticking with charcoal, it won't get as hot as quickly but it's much easier to carry on a pack pony etc. Fill in one of the "wing" shafts with dirt and feed charcoal or coal from the top on the main compartment and force air through your bellows through the remaining "wing" shaft. Use a stump and a piece of flat iron for your anvil surface or a stump anvil. You'll only be able to do minor tasks that don't require hardening, but it will work for making horseshoes a spear, javelin or arrow heads and some minor repairs.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'll start off saying Greetings Khazad and welcome Vestri son of Vaali. Our people are on the rise here at least

So, a simple bush forge (like this).... I've never liked bag bellows for solo use (its not so bad if you have a bellows-boy though).
If the soil is fairly clay and you don't mind waiting a while, you don't need a Tuyere.... Otherwise any bit of pipe will work, even clay or wood (although those don't really last long)

If you can build a bush forge, you can build a Bloomery (or for that matter a Foundry) and then you're into a whole different animal :)

Have you thought of getting a set of double-breathe bellows and using them as a packboard to haul your kit on? (that was one of Barron's early build options, but in the end I decided not to go down that route)

I'd of gone with Penny-end shoe tongs and a small scrolling plier myself (better grip on flat plates), but Wolf jaws are also pretty useful......A Pritchel, eye punch, eye drift and a fairly big (like 1 1/2 inch wide) chisel will cover most jobs.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Vestri Vaalison

Post by Vestri Vaalison »

I hadn't thought of using the bellows as a pack board that's a very clever solution, I worked at a Spanish living history museum for awhile and ran concertina bellows, agreed a double action bellow is much easier when operating by yourself. Where I live it's mostly sandy soil so a bit of pipe it is. I hadn't thought of expanding capacity all the way to a bloomery (not that we have metallic ores around here anyways) but at least having the theoretical capacity is now going to be gnawing at my brain. Much appreciated on the feedback.
My clan dwelled in Gabilgathol at the first age,
My forefathers were at the slaying of Glaurung,
We are Firebeards and we stand with Durin's Folk,
Until we call the Blue Mountains home again

Hill Warden of Evendim and ally to The Twilight Company
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I trained as a smith way back (mid 80's) and I've been doing LARPing and Living History ever since.... Bush forges have fascinated me most of my adult life, that started when I read an article in British Blacksmith about a visiting smith from Togo and just how little gear he needed.

It was when I was doing a "Cast your own bronze axehead" experience that I noticed that theres very little difference of construction between a Bush forge, a bronze-age foundry and a Bloomery apart from height.

I'd be happy to talk about banging iron with a fellow forge fanatic..... Us forgeheads need to stick together
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Here's what I would do. A early medieval seated forge with a small stump anvil and a separate bick. I'd do at least two pairs of tongs, a 2000 gram Swedish pattern, or viking style cross-peen hammer. Some other things needed would be a short shovel, and a 1 inch auger.

The forge would consist of a snaptun stone style soapstone hearthstone, a small double-chamber bellows, and a copper tuyer. This pairs a Viking feel with slightly more advanced technology that I'd associate with Dwarves. No brick or box for the hearth, I assume it would be made onsite with rocks & clay/dirt. This can be dug out from the foot hole. (Hence the shovel)

The anvil and bick would have to be hammered into a stump sourced on site. (the reason for the Auger)

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017