Dwarven Blade Examples

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Dwarven Blade Examples

Post by Barandir »

I was looking for some good examples of what a Dwarven blade might look like and came across these.

They're basically Dark Age swords, but the thing that sets two of them apart is multiple fullers, while the third is an unusual grip. I think Dwarven blades would probably look mostly the same as human blades from the Migration Era/Dark Ages, but I like the idea of multiple fullers, which to me seems like a particularly Dwarven embellishment that would highlight the control and finesse of the smiths involved. I also like the idea of atypical hilt shapes, as they would be set apart from the typical Mannish designs.

What are your thoughts?
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
ForgeCorvus

Re: Dwarven Blade Examples

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The only thing I can remember The Professor mentioning about Dwarven swords it that they are broad bladed..... Well those look broad to me.

Much as I like leaf blades (and if I could justify having one, I would in a heartbeat), I'll agree with you that multiple fullers do look Khazad...... And if a Cinqueda wasn't several centuries too late I'd love one of the sword sized ones.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

One particular sword from history that I feel would make an excellent Khazad sword is the katzbalger, albeit with a different hilt construction. It was made as a sidearm when fighting was too close for the long pikes and halberds of the Landsknecht, and had a broad slashing blade with multiple fullers and a spatulate tip. I have the Kingston Arms version, and I kind of want to get another one to use the blade as a Dwarven sword and use the guard for a different sword project.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

That first one, the Troll Cleaver, definitely looks like what a Dwarven sword looks like in my mind.

Though not as refined (or as expensive), I have one of these:

It is from Condor Knife & Tool but I think it is discontinued.

I bought the sword for part of a Ranger kit, but I think that it works well across racial lines.

It's actually a good length for wandering around in the woods.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

I have the Centurion Gladius by Windlass, and while I love the sword, I don't feel it fits either Ranger or Dwarven looks very well. Thats just personal preference though.