CLOSED Viking Shoes from GDFB size 38 never worn

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Iodo
Thangailhir

CLOSED Viking Shoes from GDFB size 38 never worn

Post by Iodo »

Thought I'd post this here before putting them on e-bay, I have complained before that I have weird feet and nothing ever fits me, so here's one of many failed attempts to get historic footwear, I bought these about 3 years ago and for some reason never got around to sending them back?

GDFB still sell these exact shoes: https://www.gdfb.co.uk/viking-shoes-skj ... 1649-p.asp

Here's some photo's:

I have no idea how much they're really worth, I think I payed about £60 for them when I bought them but they appear to have gotten more expensive, but I'd be happy if they go to a good home so if your a size 38 and after shoes PM me and make me an offer
Last edited by Iodo on Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Viking Shoes from GDFB size 38 never worn

Post by Iodo »

Hey all, if there's no interest in these I'll sell them on e-bay, let me know
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: CLOSED Viking Shoes from GDFB size 38 never worn

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:12 pm Thought I'd post this here before putting them on e-bay, I have complained before that I have weird feet and nothing ever fits me, so here's one of many failed attempts to get historic footwear, I bought these about 3 years ago and for some reason never got around to sending them back?
They look okay. I have recently begun thinking about old shoes. One can't have them waterproof because there is always openings, but recently I was thinking there may be a way to make some out of a flat piece of leather that you would step on and with some careful smooth folds (not to sharp) it may be possible to have a complete waterproof boot. The idea is sort of like a drawstring leather bag with the only opening and punched holes at the very top, but more snug on the foot.

It's only an idea in my head for now. I'll play around with cloth to get size and shape perfect and if I actually make a pair I'll post.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:14 am They look okay. I have recently begun thinking about old shoes. One can't have them waterproof because there is always openings, but recently I was thinking there may be a way to make some out of a flat piece of leather that you would step on and with some careful smooth folds (not to sharp) it may be possible to have a complete waterproof boot. The idea is sort of like a drawstring leather bag with the only opening and punched holes at the very top, but more snug on the foot.

It's only an idea in my head for now. I'll play around with cloth to get size and shape perfect and if I actually make a pair I'll post.
kinda reminds me of what Tom from Fandabidozi YouTube uses, his are not waterproof but they have the drawstring bag for foot idea, to make it waterproof and foot shaped (like a leather sock) you would need some tailoring but it is an interesting idea
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

My experience is that the only way to make truly waterproof period shoes is by the use of sealskin or other naturally waterproof hide.

It doesn't matter the amount of waterproofing you do, after several hours in the snow or mire leather shoes soak through. It's actually a bit liberating though as you then stop dodging the puddles or drifts and you can just plow on and make good time.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Eofor wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm It doesn't matter the amount of waterproofing you do, after several hours in the snow or mire leather shoes soak through. It's actually a bit liberating though as you then stop dodging the puddles or drifts and you can just plow on and make good time.
Yeah, that's the way I feel with my normal shoes/boots. Once I get wet, I don't worry about it anymore.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.