Day hike to test a snapsack

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

athfwyn
Wayfarer

Day hike to test a snapsack

Post by athfwyn »

I recently made a canvas snapsack and went out on a day hike this weekend to test it out. We ended up doing just short of nine leagues, in a mixture of sun and rain, and I was very impressed with how well the snapsack carried the weight. I have a feeling it'll be great in summer, as it will allow for more airflow than a backpack. I do really need to make a gourd canteen however. Also, this trip allowed me to once again confirm that wool outer with a linen inner is far more comfortable in rain than a rain jacket for me. Other new kit this trip is a thrifted men's linen shirt I converted to look more like a women's 18th century one (I kept it loose for summer), and some matchlock cord to practice transferring flint and steel embers with. Here's my kit on the hike:
gear.jpg
gear.jpg (243.57 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
It had rained overnight, and would rain when we'd practice flint and steel, so the forest was nice and wet, which meant for some beautiful photos of local flora.
flowers.jpg
flowers.jpg (223.94 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
When the sun was shining, the forest was really glowing.
forest.jpg
forest.jpg (218.77 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Everything seemed to be stretching for the sun and waking up from winter's long slumber.
fern.jpg
fern.jpg (140.09 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
I also experimented with some amadou as tinder for flint and steel, here with me using my wife's fancy striker.
fs.jpg
fs.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
And experimenting with matchlock cord, which was some very cool stuff:
matchlock.jpg
matchlock.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
I think after this trip some projects I need to work on are, a traditional folding knife, a gourd canteen, and some light weight hoods for warmer weather. I have some blue canvas earmarked for a hood project that I think would do well in summer. I'd much rather it be made of linen, but it's $4/yard vs $32/yard at my local fabric store right now.

Thanks for following along!
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Day hike to test a snapsack

Post by ForgeCorvus »

You've got naturally Hobbit hair and the shirt looks good.
I've made and used slowmatch before (my 'other hat' is Redcoat Napoleonic).... I recommend putting the striker back quick before Herself notices you've nicked it :-)

Have you looked on Ebay for linen? Thats where I get mine and I don't like paying more then ten quid a yard for any fabric.
Sometimes the colours aren't exactly my first choice, but really aggressive laundry and a weak over-dye works wonders
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
pellegrino

Post by pellegrino »

Nice hike and nice snapsack. Those flowers remind me of simbelmynë.
"Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:29 pm You've got naturally Hobbit hair and the shirt looks good.
I've made and used slowmatch before (my 'other hat' is Redcoat Napoleonic).... I recommend putting the striker back quick before Herself notices you've nicked it :-)

Have you looked on Ebay for linen? Thats where I get mine and I don't like paying more then ten quid a yard for any fabric.
Sometimes the colours aren't exactly my first choice, but really aggressive laundry and a weak over-dye works wonders
Thank you! My hair was a total mess that day, usually it's not so frizzy and unkempt. But I am happy it looks hobbitish, as I don't think my height or build does. I am very excited to use the match some more, it's a very neat concept that will allow me to take it on more normal kit backpacking trips, as I can now light my white gas MSR stove with flint & steel.

Thank you for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't look at ebay first. I very quickly found a beautiful blue medium weight linen for $10/yard. I'm ordering some so I can make a warm weather hood.
pellegrino wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:02 pm Nice hike and nice snapsack. Those flowers remind me of simbelmynë.
Thank you! They were so gorgeous in the gloomy morning, you could hardly see the flower stalks so it looked like star petals floating above the understory. I tried to capture it in photo, but that was something beyond my skills. Their common name, Western Starflower, also seemed very Tolkien as well. Perhaps something brought from Valinor?
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

athfwyn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:49 pm
Thank you! My hair was a total mess that day, usually it's not so frizzy and unkempt. But I am happy it looks hobbitish, as I don't think my height or build does.
I think your build looks about right really for a habitual traveller and (not trying to be rude here) common folk (tillers of soil rather then owners of farms), massive muscles would be wrong and not all Hobbits are tubby (although the more affluent do tend to be).... I think you said you are a Brandybuck, so maybe one of the 'poor relations' rather then close family of the Master of the Hall.
As for height...... Most of the Dwarves on here are at least a foot too tall
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:49 pm
athfwyn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:49 pm
Thank you! My hair was a total mess that day, usually it's not so frizzy and unkempt. But I am happy it looks hobbitish, as I don't think my height or build does.
I think your build looks about right really for a habitual traveller and (not trying to be rude here) common folk (tillers of soil rather then owners of farms), massive muscles would be wrong and not all Hobbits are tubby (although the more affluent do tend to be).... I think you said you are a Brandybuck, so maybe one of the 'poor relations' rather then close family of the Master of the Hall.
As for height...... Most of the Dwarves on here are at least a foot too tall
Thank you! That's very good for me to keep in mind.