Boots

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Boots

Post by Eric C »

We had a discussion once before on boots. Well, I'd like to revive it.
The boots that I currently have - and made myself - are the kind that most hippies were wearing a couple decades ago. They are simple to make with no real sole and lacing up the front. These are the boots that I will be wearing to the NC RenFaire next weekend.
Today, I made a move toward a better pair of boots. I caught an upholstery hide on sale at Tandy! It's a nice brown color and I got it for probably half-price. So, soon I am hoping to get some more supplies and get started on a pair of boots for my wife and for myself. I am interested in making them much like Andy's.

So, how about your boots? What do they look like? If you'll show pics of yours, I'll learn to post pics and show mine when they're done. :wink: Okay, I'll figure it out and post pics from the RenFaire too. Maybe I'll run across another soldier friend of ours (David) and catch him on film too.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well I have two pairs of boots. One pair is from Son of Sandlar and the other is from Sodohoppers. I also have the MRL suede high boots, the old Sherwood ones, but I wouldn't recommend them for any extended trek as their not the most comfortable things round. In fact when my Sod hoppers get here I'm going to have a boot burning :evil: As soon as my Sod's get here, which should be in three weeks, I'll post pics.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'm always looking for a good inexpensive pair of footwear and I've bought a pair of over the knee turndown boot, a pair of calf high boots, several pair of production mocs (both high and low) , a pair of English made costume boots. So far the only comfortable footwear I can wear for the entire day is a pair of leather uppers I made to go over the soles of some old well broken in sneakers.

Someday I'll pick up a pair of customs (yeah right after I turn in that winning lottery ticket).
Jim E
Wayfarer

Post by Jim E »

I have no pair of boots right now, just some simple low mocasines, but I'm thinking of buying a pair of custom boots this summer. There's an island in Greece, Crete, where there are some shoemakers left who actually make wonderful knee-high boots entirely by hand. The design is traditional of the 18th cent when it was used mainly by shepherds who covered great distances and needed sturdy shoes for the rocky ground of Crete, which means that they must be quite comfortable. I intend to buy a pair regardless of whether I'll use it for rangering or not, so when I have them I'll post some pics. :)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I look forward to the pics, everyone!
Jim, I would love to see the shoemakers in action. I landed on Crete on my way to Saudi Arabia back in 1991. Couldn't see anything though, it was dark when we landed and we took off probably an hour later.

I'm thinking of wetting my boots thoroughly and wearing them around for a while to let them form to my foot and get - hopefully - a really comfortable fit.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Be careful of wetforming around your own foot. Last year during a snowstorm I had to shovel snow for several hours and I wore by normal hikers. When it was time to go to work I put on a pair or leather boots cause my hikers were soaked. I shoveled again for about a half hour and then went to work wearing the wet leather boots. By the time I left the leather had shrunk so badly I could hardly walk and I almost lost the nail on the big toe of my left foot. I actually wish I had lost it because it has been growing distorted and I might eventually have to go have it removed surgically anyway.

I'd suggest you make a mould of your foot and allow the shrinken of the leather to take place on the mould.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, now that's food for thought. I've already got enough problems with one toenail that wants to stay ingrown!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have some commercial boots that are okay...but only for temporary use I should think. I have some moc patterns which I have worked with, but I really like the boots on Andy's site...the ones with the buckles and of course his own.

I've made caligae before so the sole patterns I have. I'm not sure how those uppers work in those pictures though. Guess some experimentation is in order; I'll see if I have some junk leather or naugahyde around here somewhere.

When I get patterns sorted for the boots I really want I have both buffalo and elk hide for the doing. I look forward to this one.
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I thought naugas were an endangered species!

:lol:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

LOL Yes, and possibly even extinct! Yet at one time I had many hides of the Naugabeast and have some still. ;)

It would be nice since it'll act a bit more like leather when using it without actually chancing the destruction of really good leather.
Nandalad!
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

I have a pair of moccasin type boots that were a kit from Tandy many years back. No hard sole to speak of but they are actually quite comfortable. They originally had a fringe cuff around the top but that has been removed and I'm going to replace it with a solid cuff once I find some matching suede.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I have that same pair of boots. I made them when I was a teenager. A few years back, I found them at my parents' house and brought them home with me. I don't wear them any more as I have made a different type of boot also from Tandy.
BTW, Welcome Faolan to the forum and to the thread.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Thank you, Eric. It's great to be here!