Weapon I.D.

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Weapon I.D.

Post by David »

I was writing a bit of my novel yesterday, and wanted to put a character using a weapon, but I was (and still not) sure if it's real or not. Can anyone help me out?

It's basically a spear with a long shaft, and a metal ball on the opposite end for use as counter-balance and/or bludgeoning. Kind of looks like this:

<==========================O

Does something like that already exist?
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
DavidMc

Re: Weapon I.D.

Post by DavidMc »

Hi David,

There is a type of spear butt that shows up in Iron Age Ireland and Scotland/Northern Britain that is very similar in appearance to the one in your illustration. These were hollow, however, and not solid; perhaps more useful for concussive effect than for counter-balance (although every little bit of weight helps).

David Mc
Sam

Post by Sam »

I'm not sure David, spears were often capped at the butt, but a steel ball like you described wouldn't really have been beneficial. Part of the versatility of a spear is that it can be thrown, and to do this effectively, the tip needs to be heavier than the butt.
However, the butt of the spear was probably used as a weapon also, as many ancient spears had a spike there. A steel shod, fire hardened spear could cause a lot of damage if you were bludgeoned with it. I'm just not sure if something like you described would have been practical enough to be widely used (enough so we would have evidence of it existing).

On the other hand, if you can rationalise it, and describe how it would have worked in a fighting sense, there's nothing stopping you from designing your own weapon. There have been many strange, seemingly impractical weapons throughout history.
David

Post by David »

I was just wondering if something like it already existed, so that I wouldn't have to create a name for it. My book is fantasy, not historical fiction or anything, so I can pull it off.

I envisioned it as more of a thrusting spear, not throwing. Although I wanted to have the opposite end removable, so that you could use it as a mace, and throw the spear then, if needed.

Speaking of my book, if anyone would like to read what I have so far (I'm in the middle of writing it now), I have it posted on the web. If it means anything, Greg seems to like it. ;)

http://www.webook.com/project/The-Counc ... aga-Book-I
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

If it means anything, Greg seems to like it. ;)
Nah...that doesn't mean anything. In fact, it might keep some folks from reading it... ;)
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.