Cutting mats

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Cutting mats

Post by Willrett »

I just found these and thought they were a good deal. Once I get a sword which could come from this site also I plan on getting some.

http://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbch-mat.html
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Re: Cutting mats

Post by mcapanelli »

If you haven't cut before I'd recommend starting out with rope, then light targets and work your way up to mats. It's VERY easy to "slap" the target with all or part of the flat due to poor edge alignment. Depending on how many times you do this and the quality of your sword this could, over time, be disastrous. Even though swords flex from side to side they don't take well to being slapped around. The flexibility of a sword is there to allow the safe transfer of energy during a cut. A target like a nice medium thickness rope will teach you to align your edge without the stress a poor cut places on the blade. If you slap the hanging rope it will simply swing out of the way, no harm no foul to your blade. When you start to get clean cuts on a regular basis you'll understand, as will your body, the velocity and precision it takes to be an effective cutter. ( That was a lot of thinking for no coffee)
Winter is coming
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Well that makes sense and I have a few places to get some rope around here. Thanks for the info.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Here are a couple articles:
Test Cutting for the Modern Western Martial Artist

An Introduction to: Backyard Cutting

Here's an argument against test cutting. background: ARMA espouses that true swordsman can develop proper technique only through repetitive test cutting.
The Myth of Test Cutting

Testing SCA strikes on Tatami Mats

I have taken my sword out a few times and used plastic water bottles. They’re cheap and ever-present. I have some technique and there is a certain focus required. PLUS it's just fun.
I recently ordered the Cold Steel catalog and also received there promotion videos, Absolute Proof and Absolute Sword Proof. Both offer tons of test cutting footage.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

You know despite the fact his right about not having any historical precedence for test cutting, he's also wrong in the same breath. The truth is we just don't know because so few manuscripts have survived and the tradition of European swordsmanship in question had all but died out by the 16th century. So in my opinion there's just too little information available to make a call either way. I do agree that cuts should end in either long point of the plow, that in itself does not invalidate test cutting as another aspect of your training. Seeing how a god sword was revered and how expansive it was I can understand why they'd be reluctant to test cut for practice with one, but that in itself does not mean it didn't happen. His stance, like all other modern practitioners, is in the end his opinion, albeit an informed one.

I happen to be of the opinion that test cutting is an essential part of modern training. Note I say "Modern". The fact is we will never in our lifetimes engage in a real duel or ever use these weapons on a battlefield. About the only approximation we have is our ability to free play with control and test cut for edge alignment and velocity. I've seen the guys at NYHFA cut and I don't see them swinging out of control. If you don't cut you'll never know if you could have cut, and that's the whole point, at least for me. I want to know if I'd have been able to stand up and the only way to do that in a modern world is to combine free play with test cutting.
Winter is coming
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Okay, just to throw out some confusion here...

Sure, there's not evidence that we've seen for test cutting in medieval Europe. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. But also, we should not just go for cutting through the test target, with complete disregard for good technique. For variety, try cutting the way you would make the strikes in combat, with a regard for not leaving yourself off balance, for recovery, for good defense.

And don't do it alone. Test cutting can be hazardous. There have been injuries.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.