Some recent projects

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Some recent projects

Post by Ernildir »

Peter Remling wrote:Yes, you can stiffen/harden thinner pieces but while they can be formed and set they won't have much strength. If you wanted to make a semi rigid mask, it would work fine, but for most anything else, not so much.
Interesting... I hadn't considered the possibility of making a mask from leather. I only made mine from cheap cloth (old t-shirt remnants, actually). How would I go about crafting such a semi rigid mask? I think it could be a good experience.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A number or ways, first design the mask on paper, if several colors are to be used, stitch the different pieces together. Useing hot wax, soak the leather in the wax. Remove from the wax. Form the desired shape and let set. Small changes/adjustments can be made useing a hair dryer on high hot.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you. Is there a particular sort of wax you recommend, and if so, where might it be obtained?

Now are we actually talking about the traditional Ranger face mask, or a broad, unclassified sort of mask? A hardened leather Ranger mask would be interesting, but if it were uncollapsible, I would think that its practicality would be limited.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ernildhir wrote:Thank you. Is there a particular sort of wax you recommend, and if so, where might it be obtained?

Now are we actually talking about the traditional Ranger face mask, or a broad, unclassified sort of mask? A hardened leather Ranger mask would be interesting, but if it were uncollapsible, I would think that its practicality would be limited.
I think he's referring to things like masquerade masks and others that need to remain rigid. The mask is just a good example of what you'd do with hardened leather of the weights you're talking about; there are other uses, of course, but that one certainly makes a lot of sense to me. You're right, a ranger's mask in the style of the film's Ithilien Rangers wouldn't be practical hard, but one in the style of this artist's representation of the same group might do well:Image
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

The mask I'm wearing in the "Now and Then" thread is a leather mask I made. It was made of saddle weight leather, which I just cut, soaked, and molded into shape. I didn't use any wax, just water. It's held it's shape now for over a decade, OTOH, it's never been in the rain. It might very well lose it's shape under the right conditions. I would think ordinary parafin would work fine for waterproofing and stiffening, but I'm uncertain about using fabric weight leather to make a rigid mask.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

For safety's sake, can the process of heating the wax and immersion be elaborated on?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Depending on what Erich is making.. like armour pieces.. he soaks in water.. shapes, then bakes in the oven. That is if you want very stiff hard leather pieces.

As for a leather mask, stiffened but NOT hardened would be good. A hard leather face mask could irritate your face when you move. Plus, it loses it's breathable qualities and can become very hot under it.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Parafin is best although bee's will work just as well. Beeswax does have one big drawback though, it attracts bees.

To melt the wax use a double boiler. If you don't know what a double boiler is or don't have one, simply take a coffee can put in the wax, place the can in a large pot of water and put it on the stove. The water will keep the wax from combusting but will allow it to melt.

Once the wax is melted submerse the leather in it allow it time for the wax to become absorb into the leather. Remove mold to desired shape and away you go.

While water will work for some things, it removes the oils from the leather and eventually will weaken it.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you for the information, friends.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

One thing to remember about parrafin...IT COMBUSTS. Peter is dead right about using the double boiler, preferably over an electric heat source. You don't want to introduce flame if you can avoid it. I don't like wax hardening as it doesn't last very long in the southern heat and has to be redone.

Generally, I use water shaping and then put it in the oven at 180 degrees checking about every 20 minutes until the edges feel dry but have not scorched, then I set it aside for a couple of days to finish drying. I have used a 10:1 mixture of water and Titebond III wood glue to soak the leather before baking to provide a bit more protection from moisture. Additionally, you could wet form it and then soak it in acrylic floor polish (Future) and then let it dry to seal it.

Of course, all these techniques only work on veg-tanned leather. Most of your really supple leathers are chrome tanned. If you cut the leather and the edges look gray instead tan, it is probably chrome tanned and will not absorb the water properly to harden. I recommend you practice with some small pieces until you get the techniques down.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

E.MacKermak wrote:One thing to remember about parrafin...IT COMBUSTS. Peter is dead right about using the double boiler, preferably over an electric heat source. You don't want to introduce flame if you can avoid it. I don't like wax hardening as it doesn't last very long in the southern heat and has to be redone.

Generally, I use water shaping and then put it in the oven at 180 degrees checking about every 20 minutes until the edges feel dry but have not scorched, then I set it aside for a couple of days to finish drying. I have used a 10:1 mixture of water and Titebond III wood glue to soak the leather before baking to provide a bit more protection from moisture. Additionally, you could wet form it and then soak it in acrylic floor polish (Future) and then let it dry to seal it.

Of course, all these techniques only work on veg-tanned leather. Most of your really supple leathers are chrome tanned. If you cut the leather and the edges look gray instead tan, it is probably chrome tanned and will not absorb the water properly to harden. I recommend you practice with some small pieces until you get the techniques down.
Thank you.

And here's a question about your shoulder guards -- how does one fasten them onto a shoulder? I've yet to learn how a shoulder guard is secured. :/
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

They typically belt on with two straps, much like you'd expect a non-laced pair of bracers to. If wearing additional armor, such as a gorget, there is quite often a strap that will connect them to the gorget to keep them from falling off. On a few rare occasions, I've also seen them have straps that go under the opposite arm, much like an archery quiver would.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I intend to attach them to the shoulders of my body armor (once I make it). You can also attache them to a gorget or mantle. I have seen them pointed (tied) directly to a gambeson under the armor and I will probably use this technique when I make mine for SCA use. I don't like the crossed belt technique but there are several people I know who use it.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks. :)