How often would a ranger wear chainmail?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

How often would a ranger wear chainmail?

Post by Jon »

I was wondering about how often a ranger would wear chainmail or if he would even wear it at all because it's reasonably heavy and noisy but then it does offer greater protection. If not would he of used leather clothing or no armour at all- what armour would he wear is what I mean...

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: How often would a ranger wear chainmail?

Post by Peter Remling »

Chainmaille isn't really that heavy nor is it noisey. Maille while moving in it makes a gentle swishing sound and is generally undetected more than a few feet away. If you're traveling in a group and you're wearing maille under something else, chances are no one in your party will even be aware you have on armor as the sound will be masked by everyone else.
Even a person new to maille can generally wear it all day without undue stress. You just need to insure that the collarbones are padded to distribute the weight over the shoulders. Having your belt tight helps with the weight over your hips.

As to how often would a Ranger be in maille, let's use a modern example. How often should a Police Officer wear a bullet proof vest? It depends on the locale and current conditions. I live within 40 miles of NYC, most suburban LEOs wear vests on the job. If I travel to some more rural areas, the use of body armor goes done proportionate to the preceived need.

If maille was unavailable, studded or padded leather/cloth would be used. Studded is not the studs of today, it is any bits of metal, wood or bone that can be sewn to the garment to reinforce it.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

In "Dies the Fire" many characters sew stainless steel washers onto clothing. If you sewed them onto a padded gambeson type jerkin, this stikes me as an easy, effective and silent maille alternative. Don't know how heavy it would be though.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Thanks guys, really helpful. I want to make a brigandine sometime soon which might make a good compromise between protection and noise (even though maille isn't that noisy).

Life before Death.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Are you thinking of historical brigandine or the style they use in SCA/LARP?

The later being easier, the former being sexier. ;)

I'm just asking for curiosity's sake.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

SCA type.

Life before Death.
Menelgor
Wayfarer

Post by Menelgor »

Of course one can always use fabric covered maille, like that in the byzantine and near eastern world in the late middle ages:
Check those wall-paintings - the guy on the left is with fully closed coat, while the one on the right has it open.
Attachments
kastoria.JPG
kastoria.JPG (136.78 KiB) Viewed 14115 times
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

kaelln wrote:In "Dies the Fire" many characters sew stainless steel washers onto clothing. If you sewed them onto a padded gambeson type jerkin, this stikes me as an easy, effective and silent maille alternative. Don't know how heavy it would be though.
I believe that was called either a Jack Coat or a Coat of Jacks, but don't quote me on that. The problem is there's no surviving examples or even artwork to support it's existence, at least as far as I know. If your interested, Mercenaries Tailor makes a REAL nice Jack coat I've been flirting with for some time. It'd be a great crossover piece for this and the 15th century infantryman kit I'd like to put together.
Winter is coming
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

is ''dies the fire'' by S.M.Sterling by any chance?
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Cleddyf wrote:is ''dies the fire'' by S.M.Sterling by any chance?
yes it is and its a great series.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

thought so, i know, i've read all of the ones in the series that the library has