Everything "horn"

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Everything "horn"

Post by Eric C »

I saw a question in another thread about what to do with horn. As for myself, with the current lay off, all projects are on hold. But this isn't just for me now is it! :D Anyway, does anybody have any ideas about what to do with horn, where to get it, how to treat it, etc . . . We know a horn can be made out of horn. Utensils such as spoons, what about forks? Combs. Buttons. So I'm asking what and how to. Tandy sells horns, would they be good for any projects? Does anyone have any experience with them? For me, I've found a local ranch. They have these bull skulls nailed to light poles at every one of their pastures. I'm wondering if they would part with some of their old horns. Or maybe even some leather? Hmmm Eric gets another far fetched idea. After I look over the links in the other thread, I may have more questions. Anybody else got questions? Or answers?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

To use horn for most smaller projects, simply cut usable sized pieces of horn (useing a handsaw or and electric saw useing a very slow speed,. A high speed will create the unbearable stench of burnt horn and if you're not partial to sleeping on the couch, I wouldn't reccomend it) boil them until they become plyable and then start to mold flat first. While the piece is still hot and bendable, flat your piece between two pieces of wood and press down. If you want the horn curved in only one direction, try a roller pin from the kitchen, same as if you were rolling dough. Don't use metal or stone to mold as these will cool the horn down too quickly, unless it's a two spoon mold as if this starts to cool too quickly you simply immerse the sandwiched spoons and horn back in the boiling water together.

For a comb, form a rectanglular piece then clamp in a vice, useing a saw cut close parallel cuts 2/3 through. If possible use wood blocks between the vice and the horn for two reasons, first it will not mar the horn like a bare vice will and second it won't syphon off the heat from the horn so the smell will be lessened. Too plyable and your comb will start to curve over on itself.

Buttons are easy, just mark out your buttons on a flattened piece of horn and useing a jigsaw cut them out. A grinder or sander will finish off the edges and a drill set , again use on a slow speed, will take care of the holes. If you are going to use a grinder or sander you won't be able to stop the smell, so don it when your significant other is away and have the "damn neighbors were burning rubbish" story handy.

No it doesn't work on my wife :lol: Your results my vary though.

A candle lantern can also be made by taking a piece of the flattened horn and rolling a circular end for a finger. Trim to suit and stick a candle on it., either by cutting a cicular hole for the candle or by melting wax to secure it.

Once you've got your desired shape uses fine sandpaper to clean it up. Wipe in an oil, light weight machine, mineral or even an organic and you're done.

Horn, like tusk or wood will shrink and crack with age. You can reduce the likelyhood of damage by periodically rubbing in some oil. If in the field nose oil works fine. For those of you unfamiliar with the term it's simply the oil extruded by the human body, most notably at the side of your nose by the cheek. This was a common remedy for old wood smoking pipes as it refreshes the wood and will provide a new sheen temporarily.

Tandy horns can be a bit expensive unless they're running a sale. There are many suppliers of horn and if it's a small project the overall horn size won't matter. If you're going to work on a large size project (drinking or blowing horn) then and only then will you need to buy a large horn. The price goes up disproportionately with the size.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I was going to ask about making a blowing horn, but I see that is covered, and pretty easy on the link you posted in the thread about leather. Thanks for the reply. This is supposed to be about horn, but I am reminded now that I need to replace the Civ-War-looking wooden buttons on my shirts with some antler buttons. I think I will just cut the tips off the antlers, groove them, or drill a hole in them and secure them to the shirts.

Anyway, anybody got any other horn projects? Let's see what you got.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.