Armour

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Armour

Post by Greg »

Eärendur wrote:Almost true. Don't forget about Prince Imrahil's vambrace, which was used to discover that Eowyn was still breathing after Pellenor Fields.
Ah, yes...the one reason that we can all easily get away with these in our kits.

The coat-of-plates or what-have-you reference is interesting...I don't recall noting that particularly during my last read through. I wouldn't consider that usable by ranger standards, but it's definitely present. I stand corrected.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

'How did you get away?' he asked presently.

Conan tapped his mail-shirt and helmet.

'If more borderers would wear harness there'd be fewer skulls hanging on the altar-huts. But most men make noise if they wear armor..."

- beyond the black river. Re howard.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

See barbarians (well the Cimerian type anyway) have a lot in common with us and a lot of the the whole, "Ranger/outdoors-man" thing going on. They just don't like a lot of that civilization stuff that likes to keep getting in the way of life!!! :P

Way to go Frothgar! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's interesting, I had forgotten that description of Haradrim clothing and armor. Definitely seems like some kind of bronze lamellar to me.

This is a fascinating discussion for me, because it helps paint a slightly better mental picture of what Middle Earth and the people in it really look like to ME, as opposed to what has been shown in the films. For rangers though, I agree that it's unlikely they would wear any kind of serious armor unless intentionally going to war - and even then, probably nothing very extensive. I seem to recall there being a description of the extra armor the Three Hunters all acquire for the Battle of Helm's deep, including Strider, who is obviously the primary example of a ranger throughout the books, but I can't recall exactly what that description entails, and I don't have the books at hand to look it up.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Manveruon wrote:I seem to recall there being a description of the extra armor the Three Hunters all acquire for the Battle of Helm's deep, including Strider, who is obviously the primary example of a ranger throughout the books, but I can't recall exactly what that description entails, and I don't have the books at hand to look it up.
Yes! I believe this is the passage you seek:
“… such things as may be found in my armoury. Swords you do not need, but there are helms and coats of mail of cunning work, gifts to my fathers out of Gondor. Choose from these ere we go, and may they serve you well!' Now men came bearing raiment of war from the king's hoard and they arrayed Aragorn and Legolas in shining mail. Helms too they chose, and round shields: their bosses were overlaid with gold and set with gems, green and red and white. Gandalf took no armour; and Gimli needed no coat of rings, even if one had been found to match his stature, for there was no hauberk in the hoards of Edoras of better make than his short corslet forged beneath the Mountain in the North. But he chose a cap of iron and leather that fitted well upon his round head; and a small shield he also took. It bore the running horse, white upon green, that was the emblem of the House of Eorl.”
The Lord of the Rings, Book III The Treason of Isengard, Chapter 6: The King of the Golden Hall
I'm sure somebody (Greg? jbook?) already has one going--in which case could somebody point me to it?--but how do folks here feel about having a thread for collecting 'primary source' references to descriptions of gear and garb? It would be a valuable resource for new recruits, possibly made a part of the wiki?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yes! YES YES YES! We definitely could use one. But then... I do seem to remember there being one, and not that long ago either. Anyone care to refresh my memory? I'm feeling too lazy to comb the forums right now, haha.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Manveruon wrote:Yes! YES YES YES! We definitely could use one. But then... I do seem to remember there being one, and not that long ago either. Anyone care to refresh my memory? I'm feeling too lazy to comb the forums right now, haha.
http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... ilit=armor

:)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! Knew it! Now I feel dense for not remembering that post straight off.