Boiled leather armor

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Boiled leather armor

Post by Arbellason »

Boiled leather 1' thick still does not stop an English warbow :mrgreen:
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

1" thick boiled leather?
That is mighty thick, even if you're layering!
It might slow it down a bit! Or stop it and you go flying back 6' from the concussion. :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Yeah 1' thick leather I'll find the link to the video of the people who did it note it didn't get very far past the leather.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK well that explains alot!
The boiled leather is only 1/4 inch thick not 1 inch and they are using bows with a pretty good pull from the looks of it at only 15 yards.

Not the armor thickness that should have been protecting anyone who was invested in using leather. (though I am sure many could not afford better and may have settled for that verses nothing but cloth)

The use of a warbow of this size and stregnth would have more oft than not been a good deal more than 15 yards (thats were we start the kids normally) and the whole purpose of the many archers with powerful bows was to strike from a farther distance.

Still there is no arguing the fact that the English warbow could in the right situation punch through leather and steel and chain and slow running Rhinocerous with little dificulty. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

There still is that one account of an arrow going through the guy's steel plate on his leg then through his jerkin the through his saddle then killing the horse. Now wouldn't you hate to be him.
I must have did my math wrong with the thickness of the leather :lol:
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

A good war bow of the time was capable of punching through steel plate (since the steel was not the quality we think of today) using a bodkin point at 100-200 yard range. If an archer lets a opposing warrior get within 15 yards, he needs to transition to his secondary because the fight is about to go to hand strokes.

There are some examples in the east of leather used as primary armor. In Western Europe, there is precious little actual examples though there is some anecdotal evidence. Most of the known cuirbolli is believed to have been used in tournaments with rebated steel or blunt weapons.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.