LOTRO Ranger Gathering

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: LOTRO Ranger Gathering

Post by Mirimaran »

Ok I have everything loaded but I think my system is just too slow to play the game. I can get as far as the choose world screen and the game stops. Any ideas?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Hmm... I don't know. What happens when it stops? Is there some kind of an error message when you try to select a world, or does it just freeze up, or something else?

Here are the system requirements: http://www.lotro.com/getting-started/21 ... quirements You can see if your computer falls short anywhere there.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Yep, I think our processor speed is just too slow. Pity. The game freezes up when starting. Have fun!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Ah, well. Pity indeed.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eruant
Wayfarer

Post by Eruant »

Dirhael wrote:Talking about tanking, I have a lvl 21 captain. I've heard they can be off-tanks. Ernildhir, since you have a captain, is there any certain way of tanking with them?
Captains actually aren't bad at tanking, they have a pretty good amount of morale, (I'm running 7.5k at lvl 63), and even some threat skills, such as a shout that adds threat, an on defeat melee skill that adds threat, another melee skill that can actually force an enemy to attack you for a time if you're far enough into the yellow trait line, and even a skill that makes you take 50% of the damage your fellowship members take for 25 seconds.
“An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong.”
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Guardians are best at it. I really do feel that way. With my Guardian I can do fellowship quests solo on my own most of the time. That's not half bad. I can only do that with certain quests with the Warden and the Hunter...rarely with the Hunter.

I really like the shield work, oh yes. Slam & Thrust....GET SOME!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

I'm liking my Warden, still very low level, but its my 2nd favorite class in the game after Hunter. I'm now at the point where I can learn the healing gambits, but he's had a much higher survival rate in a multi-mob fight that my hunter did at the same level.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Hunters are difficult; especially in mob encounters.

My favorite character is my Guardian; she's currently at 36th level and I took her into Annuminas just to see as I hadn't been in there before and managed to do a fair bit of damage to yellow and orange guys in there. I ran from the purples. LOL

Still, the sword and shield, or in this case warhammer and shield, are the best things for me. Silivrien is on Arkenstone, not to be confused with Silivrian who is the Hunter also on that server. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I tend to think of my lvl 34 Warden as a lvl 30 small fellowship, with DPS, Tanking, and Healing. I find they're more flexible than guardians, although I havent had much experience with guardians :wink:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

More to do with style. Guardians can slam right into a huge crowd and soak up hordes of damage..and have buffs that can augment morale and power while fighting...and sometimes siphon it from the bad guys. They can hit several enemies at once. They can wear heavy armor, which is a major boon. I prefer the weapon and shield loadout as it gives more options but they do really well with two handed axes and hammers too.

I made Kin of the Wardens in Annuminas by slaughtering Angmarim and trolls. Still haven't finished all the tasks there but that is some crazy warzone; looks like Berlin or Stalingrad in there. O-o

Wardens are good...I like mine..but I am not a fan of the constant need to scream which I find somewhat annoying. I in my turn find the Guardian a bit more flexible and I like being able to do a fellowship quest solo...especially when it is a bit higher level than my own.

Since I like to get 'stuck in' right away, firing an arrow or two and rushing the enemy suits me fine and the Guardian excels at that.

Different choices and modes for folk; my LOTRO fighting echoes my SCA combat nature.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

:lol: you are totally right about the screaming!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Rangerguy9
Wanderer

Post by Rangerguy9 »

THAT SOUNDS COOL! :D
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

just found my way to the arkenstone server, lvl 9 hunter if anybody wants a companion
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

SoupRanger wrote:just found my way to the arkenstone server, lvl 9 hunter if anybody wants a companion
A fellow hunter huh? :D What's the name of your character?

Oh, Ernildhir, would it be okay if the next time you're on could you add one of my alts to the kinship? Some RP friends of mine from another kin wanted me to join up with Mall in their kin since she is my current high level toon and I felt bad afterwards for leaving Rangers of the North, haha.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

Hies name is pelwin lvl 17 hunter, i wasnt sure if many still played alot so I went ahead and joined another kinsheip...but, if thats not the case I would gladly join all of yours. Send me an in game msg or somthing : )