What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

The Wanderer

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by The Wanderer »

I, for one, am working to put together my first bits of my soft and hard kit. I have several things planned for over the summer, including making a tunic, cloak, bow, several knives, and potentially my rangers star.
We who wander are rarely lost.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Yes, welcome! You're in great company!
Frodo lives!
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 pm Wilhelm: I like the socketed ones with the 'eared leaf' blade
Thanks, they are a copy of elven arrows obviously. The issue is they weigh 750gr all by themselves and the socket is too small for anything over 5/16. I have put a couple together but I have to shoot them out of my 103# bow and they don't survive the target.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wilhelm wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:48 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 pm Wilhelm: I like the socketed ones with the 'eared leaf' blade
Thanks, they are a copy of elven arrows obviously. The issue is they weigh 750gr all by themselves and the socket is too small for anything over 5/16. I have put a couple together but I have to shoot them out of my 103# bow and they don't survive the target.
Sounds like you need a footing on a breasted or barrelled shaft...... Just to be clear, 750 Grains? (1 3/4 oz) hefty but not insane. You are right though, a 5/16 socket is just daft
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

I was browsing the forums for clothing ideas and came across Iodo's hood pattern and thought that would solve a lot of issues I have with the three-piece hood design. So I used some scrap red thin wool fabric I had and made a hood. I really liked it so I went back and modified my brown wool hood to be the same. Thank you for the ingenious idea Iodo!
hoods.jpg
hoods.jpg (246.9 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Also, I found a medieval dress pattern I liked and made one out of cheap cotton muslin this week so I could test it out. And it did very well on a scrambly ten mile hike yesterday. I'm going to order some linen and make a couple in the same pattern.
dress.jpg
dress.jpg (209.15 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow great picture!
Frodo lives!
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Kramer aka "Living Anachronism" is moving from PA to UT (Utah). I'm not sure he thought that out very well. With their laws, he might not even be allowed to own a sword (not sure). Plus, isn't it mostly desert out there? I watch Matts Offroad Recovery and I have NEVER seen them in a forest.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:30 am Kramer aka "Living Anachronism" is moving from PA to UT (Utah). I'm not sure he thought that out very well. With their laws, he might not even be allowed to own a sword (not sure). Plus, isn't it mostly desert out there? I watch Matts Offroad Recovery and I have NEVER seen them in a forest.
I'm a little confused why this is posted to this thread, but in any case there are no state legislations limiting blade size in Utah, and it is technically legal to carry any blade as long as you aren't a convicted felon. And while desert isn't what we necessarily think of very often when we think of Middle Earth, there are certainly areas of Middle Earth that could potentially correspond to Utah.

I'm guessing your assumption on blade laws in Utah is based on the fact that it is largely a Mormon state, but it makes more sense for there to be fewer weapon restrictions in an extremely religious state by the trends of our nation.
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

A little more on topic: Athfwyn, I loveee the fabric choice! and the photo you took is breathtaking.

I personally am working on finishing a couple of my first leather commissions, which are not in any way related to this hobby but are going to help me establish my online brand! After I finish the two I'm working on (a pair of concealed carry messenger bags and a Slash-themed tooled guitar case), I'm going to knock out a pair of scabbards for myself/advertising for my social media. Next up after that I intend to make a Hedeby-inspired quiver with both hip and shoulder mounting options for myself!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Barandir wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:54 am A little more on topic: Athfwyn, I loveee the fabric choice! and the photo you took is breathtaking.

I personally am working on finishing a couple of my first leather commissions, which are not in any way related to this hobby but are going to help me establish my online brand! After I finish the two I'm working on (a pair of concealed carry messenger bags and a Slash-themed tooled guitar case), I'm going to knock out a pair of scabbards for myself/advertising for my social media. Next up after that I intend to make a Hedeby-inspired quiver with both hip and shoulder mounting options for myself!
Thank you! And it's helpful to have such great natural areas to explore. All of that leather-work sounds really neat. I hope you'll share photos of your quiver when you're done with it?

I just got a backstrap loom and am enjoying learning weaving through making a belt:
loom.jpg
loom.jpg (223.44 KiB) Viewed 441 times