Kit and Gear References

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Re: Kit and Gear References

Post by Udwin »

The Lord of the Rings, Book IV The Ring Goes East, Chapter 6: The Forbidden Pool.

"Faramir took a small nail-knife from his belt and handed it to Frodo. Gollum, misunderstanding the gesture, squealed and fell down."

I find it interesting that the only other reference to a ‘nail-knife’ also takes place in Ithilien:

“[Saelon] was humming softly, while he trimmed a whistle of green willow with a sharp nail-knife.”
(The History of Middle-Earth, Volume 12: The Peoples of Middle-Earth, Part Four Unfinished Tales, Chapter XVI The New Shadow)

Does anybody have any idea what a nail-knife might be? Is it a knife used for cleaning one's fingernails? Is it a knife made from an old iron nail?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Aand how about some Orc-gear, just for fun?

The Lord of the Rings, Book VI The End of the Third Age, Chapter 2 The Land of Shadow:
"He opened the bundle. Frodo looked in disgust at the contents:.... There were long hairy breeches of some unclean beast-fell, and a tunic of dirty leather. He drew them on. Over the tunic went a coat of stout ring-mail, short for a full-sized orc, too long for Frodo and heavy. About it he clasped a belt, at which there hung a short sheath holding a broad-bladed stabbing-sword. Sam had brought several orc-helmets. One of them fitted Frodo well enough, a black cap with iron rim, and iron hoops covered with leather upon which the evil Eye was painted in red above the beaklike nose-guard."
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

For medicinal purposes, right? (the flask of whiskey)
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Unfinished Tales, Part Three: The Third Age, Chapter 1: Disaster of the Gladden Fields

“Then in haste [Isildur] cast off all his armour and weapons, save a short sword at his belt, 28* and plunged into the water.”

*28: This was of a kind called eket: a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long. p.288/296.

“…secondly, that his mail, helm, shield and great sword (but nothing else) had been found on the bank not far above the Gladden Fields;…” p.288

“Though it was a long journey, each of the Dúnedain carried in a sealed wallet on his belt a small phial of cordial and wafers of a waybread that would sustain life in him for many days—not indeed the miruvor or the lembas of the Eldar, but like them, for the medicine and other arts of Númenor were potent and not yet forgotten. No belt or wallet was among the gear discarded by Isildur.” p.288-289

8 They needed some baggage and provisions in houseless country; for they did not expect to find any dwellings of Elves or Men, until they reached Thranduil’s realm, almost at their journey’s end. On the march each man carried with him two days’ provisions (other than the “need-wallet” mentioned in the text [pp288-89]; the rest, and other baggage was carried by small sturdy horses…of these they had only ten. p.291

9 …but the soldiers of the Dúnedain, tall men of great strength and endurance, were accustomed to move fully-armed at eight leavues a day “with ease:” when they went in eight spells of a league, with short breaks at the end of each league (lar, Sindarin daur, originally meaning a stop or pause), and one hour near midday. This made a “march” of about ten and half [sic] hours, in which they were walking eight hours. This pace they could maintain for long periods with adequate provision. In haste they could move much faster, at twelve leagues a day (or in great need more), but for shorter periods. p.291-292

“One was a small case of gold, attached to a fine chain; it was empty, and bore no letter or token, but beyond all doubt it had once borne the Ring about Isildur’s neck.” p.289
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Udwin wrote:The Lord of the Rings, Book IV The Ring Goes East, Chapter 6: The Forbidden Pool.

"Faramir took a small nail-knife from his belt and handed it to Frodo. Gollum, misunderstanding the gesture, squealed and fell down."

I find it interesting that the only other reference to a ‘nail-knife’ also takes place in Ithilien:

“[Saelon] was humming softly, while he trimmed a whistle of green willow with a sharp nail-knife.”
(The History of Middle-Earth, Volume 12: The Peoples of Middle-Earth, Part Four Unfinished Tales, Chapter XVI The New Shadow)

Does anybody have any idea what a nail-knife might be? Is it a knife used for cleaning one's fingernails? Is it a knife made from an old iron nail?
I'm guessing that a nail knife is a small pocket knife used to clean the gunk out from under one's nails.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Yes Straelbora, is correct a small pocket knife was called a nail knife. It was used for all the small chores: cutting pieces of cheese or fruit, trimming ones nails and anything else you would use a knife for. The term originated before attached pockets were in normal use and was used both here in colonial times and in England up to the present
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

And of course a nail file as a modern reference is any long abrasive used to work on the nails such as an Emery board, but is best known as a metal file that comes out of a larger grooming kit.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

[quote="Udwin"]Unfinished Tales, Part Three: The Third Age, Chapter 1: Disaster of the Gladden Fields

[Edited out other materials]

9 …but the soldiers of the Dúnedain, tall men of great strength and endurance, were accustomed to move fully-armed at eight leavues a day “with ease:” when they went in eight spells of a league, with short breaks at the end of each league (lar, Sindarin daur, originally meaning a stop or pause), and one hour near midday. This made a “march” of about ten and half [sic] hours, in which they were walking eight hours. This pace they could maintain for long periods with adequate provision. In haste they could move much faster, at twelve leagues a day (or in great need more), but for shorter periods. p.291-292

According to Wikipedia, a Roman league was about 1.5 miles, an English league, roughly 3 miles (how far one could walk in an hour). I'm guessing Tolkien meant the latter, as 24 miles over rough terrain in one day's hike (with a pack) is at the upper end of my hiking capabilities when I was younger and in better shape.
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The Romans marched 25 miles a day, and built forts at the end of each march...tearing them down in the morning.

Three miles to one league...that's some serious marching indeed. In one day, and keep it up continuously. One has to be in excellent shape. Not necessarily, young. just fit; Roman Centurions were sometimes in their 70s and still serving.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elemmakil wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:
Greg wrote:
ll Ferny's price was twelve silver pennies..."

I'm in the market for 900-1200 replica silver coinage to carry...can't stiff your bartender, now.
http://www.bytheswordinc.com/c-21-coins.aspx

Some good stuff here, we do have a Shire penny around here somewhere.

Ken
Don't forget the old Shire Post coins by Tom Maringer, which were directly inspired by Tolkien's works, and include Tengwar inscriptions, etc. Very sad that Tolkien Enterprises were such orcs about the whole thing, and production has ceased, but they do turn up on eBay.
I was lucky enough to get a nice variety of those coins before that vampire Zaentz had him shut down production. They really are very nicely done, and he's obviously a great fan of Tolkien's work. And in a good guy move, George R. R. Martin sanctioned his 'Song of Fire and Ice' series of coins.
Hávamál
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

here's a few I caught from The Two Towers:
The Lord of the Rings, Book III The Treason of Isengard, Chapter 3: The Riders of Rohan:
“[Aragorn] held up a thing that glittered in the sunlight. It looked like the new-opened leaf of a beech-tree, fair and strange in that treeless plain. ‘The brooch of an elven-cloak!’ cried Legolas and Gimli together.”

Not gear-related, but this next line suggests to me the possibility that the Three Hunters were utilizing a form of 'Scout's Pace'—in which a runner alternates between jogging/running and walking—for endurance. (K.W.Fonstad has calculated the trio's average speed at only about 1 league per hour, which is certainly attainable.):
“…the third day of their pursuit began. During all its long hours of cloud and fitful sun they hardly paused, now striding, now running, as if no weariness could quench the fire that burned them.”

“A little way beyond the battle-field they made their camp under a spreading tree… Gimli shivered. They had brought only one blanket apiece.”

Something I've noticed around here is that when out and about in garb & gear, folks always carry their bows strung. I've always heard this was inadvisable, as it would, over time, lessen the draw weight of the bow. Howard Pyle's Robin Hood only strung his bow at need, and we see Legolas does the same in these passages:
The Lord of the Rings, Book II: The Ring Goes South, Chapter 9: The Great River
“Legolas laid down his paddle and took up the bow that he had brought from Lórien. Then he sprang ashore and climbed a few paces up the bank. Stringing the bow and fitting an arrow he turned, peering back over the River into the darkness.”

The Lord of the Rings, Book III The Treason of Isengard, Chapter 5: The White Rider:
“Legolas took his bow and bent it, slowly and as if some other will resisted him. He held an arrow loosely in his hand but did not fit it to the string.”