Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Those look amazing! I'm really tempted to get one and try this out...my brother would love one, that's a great excuse! And of course I'll need to buy two just in case I screw one up :wink:

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Sunday is a day of rest as far as I have been taught! so instead of making something for someone else it was a day to relax and make something for myself!

I had a little oops on the throwing feild and the seax that I have been throwing for the last half a year or so ended up getting a rather large somewhat unworkable knick in the blade about three and a half inches from the tip.

(I do not normally throw when others weapons stick but have a hard time controling myself when throwing at my own, if I have more weapons in my hands away they go!)

I play a little game when throwing by myself to help me practice my double axe throw and my seax accuracy. I throw the two axes simultaniously, then draw the seax and try to throw between them.

It is a fun excersize but it is not without it's casualities.

So, what to do with my faithful work horse, the blade that brought me to the first realization that I could throw a seax.

I decided to take it back to the knick and redraw the same tip making a miniature version of the 12 inch cold steel seax.

I have always been fascinated by anything miniature and was wanting an all around utility peice anyway, so, the following picks are of a 13.5 inch overall weapon with an 8.5 in blade.

I love the feel and balance in my hand, it is still large enough to be substantial yet small enough to use at the feast table.

It's name is "Djolomir" after my first LOTRO character Djolomir Badgerbrock, a Halfling Hunter and good friend of Ringulf.

The last two picks are to show it's comparitive size next to the 12" and 18" blades and wearing his "traveling clothes".

I will be making a tooled leather, traditional blade up, pocket sheath, wich should be challenging as I have not worked with the medium for quite a while!
:mrgreen:

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Spectacular again, sir!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Unfortunately I think that even though the wire wrapping technology is viable and could be used down the road for complete coverage or some other fun effects, this little guy looked too busy.
Sometimes I mix one idea too many into my stuff and have to go back.
So gone with the wire (besides it was aluminum wire with a copper coat and turned silver when it was weathered, making it incompatable with the real copper on the peice)

I re-applied some of the polymer clay to re-finnish the handle and textured it before weathering it again for uniformaty.

This brought me to a new reason to take a few more shots and add in the leather Sheath I said I was going to put it in.

The Sheath is made from 8oz veg tanned shoulder and was stained in two colors with eco-flo forest green and acorn brown.

It is folded over the straight edge and sewn on it's back as is often seen in traditional seax sheaths and scabbards. It is all hand tooled and given a few coats of brown shoe polish to protect it and bring up the luster in the leather.

As traditional as it is, I used a saddle stitch with my "Ranger Cord" and used picture hanging hardware to make the belt hangers, replacing the odd "D" rings with antiqued brass buckles and yes the dreaded...two part rivet!!

(Dudes get over it, I am a Dwarf and we got rivets you mannish types have not even seen yet! :wink: )

Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Beautiful work. So how well does the polymer hold up to use?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Like the man who jumped from the 22nd floor said as he past each window,
"So far so good!"
I have been throwing them and aside for some minor abbraision they seem to be standing up well.
Keeping the guard and the butt cap on the handle makes them pretty stable, but I know the antler one has even been thrown once or twice withought breakage.
I imagine sooner or later there will be failures but if you were to use these for anything other than throwing I would think you would have no more concern for the material than wood, plastic, horn or anything else.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Cool, yeah if they hold up to being thrown they'll hold up to about anything.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Having made Christmas gifts of several CS seax knives this year I am now embarking on making the handles and scabbard/sheaths for them.

This next one is for my beloved Horse Ranger Brandwyn. And is even more significant as she is going to have her equestrian mashalate moved to Trimaris at the next big Kingdom event called TMT.

She has been a kingdom Equestrian Officer in Atlantia and even wrote the Atlantian Book of the Horse, that is used there still. She had to get her credentials transfered down here to the Kingdom of Trimaris so she could continue. There are not many mounted archers so we will have fun creating that program here.
(If anyone has any information as to where I can find a horse to fit me, please let me know! As of now I can only find the grey ones with the big noses. They can carry me fine and they work for peanuts...literally!)

This one is going to have a carved wooden scabbard, as I have already done a leather one and my Ormbani Longseax is getting a leather covered wooden one so that I can show each style when merchanting.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Brandwyn is sure to be pleased with that! Very Rohan-y!
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

This knife looks so awesome! I can't wait to see it and hold it in my hands!

I love my Sweetie!

He makes me cool Schtuff and is not afraid to give me a deadly weapon!

I say, can a girl ask for a better man than that?

Brandy
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Those are truly magnificent! I love the detail on each hilt!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

And the CS Seax project goes on!

I wanted to get some pictures up of the leather sheath I made for "Andras" Brandwyn's Horsey seax. I originally had plans for a carved wooden sheath and may get around to that later on, but she will be transfering her Equestrian Marshalate down to Trimaris this coming weekend At TMT (Trimaris Memorial Tornement) From Atlantia. So I want her to have this on her belt when she does!

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I just thought I would show you a new wave of seax projects that I have made for our Merchant Debut.
We will be at the Cutlass and Corsair's SCA Event that is themed this year for the Battle of Maldon.
Since it is a Viking/Saxon event and I am a Viking and Brandwyn a Saxon this could be a great time to start our Merchanting.

These are a bit different from my past attempts, I have used my special new "walrus ivory" technique and some new Ringulf style castings. Take a look and tell me what you think!
:mrgreen:

I can put up some better views later on if anyone is interested I did some fun things with these that I can share later when things have calmed a bit.
Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Those are gorgeous!
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ditto and love the aged ivory!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"