Sword Preference?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Sword Preference?

Post by Aaron »

Peter Remling wrote:Just saw this in my daily searches, thought it would be best here considering the discussion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

A Bristol starting at $189 ! From the picture it looks like it's missing the belt but the scabbard appears intact.
Good price, and getting a new belt (even if you have to go through Sonny) would still put you cheaper than the sword is new. And I think that's the darkest oxblood I've ever seen. Thought it was black until I zoomed in....
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Getting a new belt? Oh no...custom made. Of course that assumes none of you other Rangers out there outbid me...hehehe
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

YEAH UMMM HEY.. None of you are allowed to bid!! IT'S MINE!! I so need a good blade on my hip hehehe

Don't make me hurt you!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Just get Gus to churn out one of the blades and put some earlier-period fittings on it. :D (style 4 guard and a type J pommel?)

Or convince Greg to do that and then sell his current one lol....
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Man, it's sooooo tempting, but I'm sure one of you lot would outbid me, heh. And considering I just discovered I'm overdrawn at the bank... again... it's probably not wise for me to go spending $200 on a sword. Ugh. I hate not having money.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
armchair
Wanderer

Post by armchair »

I have the "American" version of that, the 1917 Bolo machete/knife, I have handled both and the Bolo is just a bit more heavy at the meat of the blade.
Thanks for the insight, Ringulf. I've trained with a bolo some when I studied Filipino martial arts, so that gives me a good idea how the smatchet handles (no pun intended). Really, my only sword experience, other some intro foil, was bolo and machete in FMA. Hmmm, maybe I'd rather have the bolo. Or two.
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

armchair wrote:A design that's always appealed to me is the smatchet. I guess I'm a close range type of guy. I've never actually had one in my hand, but I really like the looks of it.
I am partial to the idea of a short blade, possibly along with tomahawk-type axe, as a backup to a primary weapon, such as the bow or spear, for Ranger work. I have a Smatchet, and think it a good backup - short, but it feels powerful in-hand, like it wants to cut, and is ¨pointy¨ too.

I also own an early Gus Trim sword that I think appropriate as a Ranger shortsword. It is light, 1 1/2 lbs. + or -, and has a very pointy 21 inch blade, but still a pretty nice cutter.

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very cool sword Alvin! Do you have a scabbard for it?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Gus never disappoints. That's a perfect, beatutiful Ranger blade. If you ever consider selling it, PM me first. *chuckles*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh now that one is a really nice sword Alvin.. I like that one
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, bloody gorgeous!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

It is a very nice shortsword. I own four swords by Gus Trim, or swords that have one of his blades, and they are all very nice. This one is small, but I think not TOO small for ¨practical¨ use as a back-up weapon by a Ranger. It cuts well, at least it cuts water-filled 2.5 and 3.0 liter plastic bottles handily. The point is wickedly pointy, but it seems a little thin and ¿possibly susceptible to damage?

I have never gotten around to acquiring a scabbard. Someday maybe.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Good to see you posting Alvin, haven't seen you around SBG in a good while...Excellent sword. Don't you have one of Gus' type X blades with a basket on it? Always loved the look of that piece.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

IT'S MINE!!! YEP WE WON THE AUCTION!!

I got's me a sword now.. NEEENEERRRR hehe

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hey congradulations Kiriana I am so glad you got it! H ave you thought of a worthy name for such a wonderful blade, (something elven I would surmise?)
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: