Sword Preference?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

kaelln

Re: Sword Preference?

Post by kaelln »

Congrats, Kiriana! I must admit that I was sorely tempted to bid, but I didn't, and I'm glad you won!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Ringulf, you really need to have it in hand to find the name for a sword like that...hehehe. I am sure it won't take her long once it arrives.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yeah I will need to have her in hand first for a while... and then add my own touches to her as well..

then, when she speaks to me.. I will know her name!! :mrgreen:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Congratulations it's a sweet little sword. Enjoy !!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ah I understand, you must follow the Zen of the blade, well good luck to you I'm sure she will serve you well! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well won, good lady!

:)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

that's great cant wait for you to get it.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

As I mentioned in the discussion on axes, I like the items in my kit to have multiple functions, if possible. My brand of ranger travels light and compact, without a lot of stuff hanging off or flopping around, and nothing too cumbersome. I've hiked a lot, and can't tell you how joyous it is to be able to shift around whatever cargo I'm carrying and redistribute the weight -- therefore, I like a blade that's short enough to draw over the shoulder, so I can strap it across my back, as well as hang it at my hip. Most classic swords are too long for drawing over the shoulder. I like having a weapon in each hand, so I can attack and defend with either side.
Taking all of this into consideration, my personal preference is for a machete-like blade, though I would want something a *little* less flexible, so that I could thrust effectively. Something like a falchion, dao, or wakizashi. Or perhaps a pair, though that would infringe on my practicality tenet somewhat (but dual wield -- or Florentine, if you like the technical term -- is SO COOL!). A classic "sword" really only has one function (feel free to tell me otherwise if you can), and that's fighting. A machete-like blade, however, has many practical functions. Just ask the native peoples of any jungle. Most notable, of course, is its use in clearing brush from your path. Light enough to use for long periods with relatively little fatigue, but strong enough to fight with, and the slight curve in the blade makes for more effective cutting. Short enough to wear across one's back and still be able to draw. Compact enough that it doesn't catch on things or whack people when you turn around, nor drag and thunk along when you go down steps. So personally, I'd choose something like a dao, or "ox tail" sword.
I also love the spear. Definitely an unsung weapon, though Gil-Galad wielded one (Aiglos?). And spears have multiple functions as well, as someone mentioned earlier -- though the most useful part is the shaft. Lay down two spears on a cloak, fold the edges in, lay a wounded fellow ranger or whomever on there and away you go with your stretcher (thank you Boy Scouts for that trick)! Probe the depths of the stream you're fording for hidden holes. Hunt for boar or bear. Repel cavalry. I like the idea of carrying at least just the spearhead in a sheath like a dagger. One can make the shaft for it if needs be.
Happy Hunting
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Excellent thoughts! I'm also a fan of the spear's versatility, though I've never really done any practice with one.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

As i seem to recal. in the second part of the lord of the rings ( book two the two towers) uppon meeting with the rohirum, and after the initial meeting with Theodin, he gave Aragorn a sheild from the aromory there. this suggest to me Tolkien invsioned Anduril and most other blades as single handed. i also remember somthing being said about gondor's and rohans equipment being similar? so a single hand sword with sheild would make sense in allot of situations. not to mention the single hander's manuverablity in tight places as opposed to a longer bladed sword.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

dwayne davis wrote:As i seem to recal. in the second part of the lord of the rings ( book two the two towers) uppon meeting with the rohirum, and after the initial meeting with Theodin, he gave Aragorn a sheild from the aromory there. this suggest to me Tolkien invsioned Anduril and most other blades as single handed. i also remember somthing being said about gondor's and rohans equipment being similar? so a single hand sword with sheild would make sense in allot of situations. not to mention the single hander's manuverablity in tight places as opposed to a longer bladed sword.
Hmm, I don't recall this, and my books are in storage so I can't check. If someone can grab a quote that would be awesome...If he does use a shield it certainly blows my interpretation of Anduril out of the water. I still like the idea of the original and reforged blade being longer (not as gigantic as the film sword was, however), since he used the broken sword during his years as chieftain of the Dunedain. Were it an arming sword length to begin with, the broken blade would have been significantly short for use in his duties...Just my thoughts.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

The King of the Golden Hall p526-527

Now men came bearing raiment of war from the king's hoard, and they arrayed Aragorn and Legolas in shining mail. Helms too they chose, and round shields: their bosses were overlaid with gold and set with gems, green and red and white. Gandalf took no armor; and Gimli needed no coat of rings, even if one had been found to match his stature, for there was no hauberk in the hoards of Edoras of better make than his short corslet forged beneath the Mountain in the North. But he chose a cap of iron and leather that fitted well upon his round head; and also a small shield he took. It bore the running horse, white upon green, that was the emblem of the House of Eorl.

Tolken, JRR. The Two Towers. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company. 2002.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Interestingly enough I am re-reading the books now. Here is what I found:

"Now men came bearing raiment of war from the king’s hoard, and they arrayed Aragorn and Legolas in shining mail. Helms too they chose, and round shields: their bosses were overlaid with gold and set with gems, green and red and white."

J.R.R. Tolkien (2009-04-17). The Lord of the Rings (p. 522). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

So it would appear that shields were common enough for Aragorn, that he was comfortable fighting with one while using Anduriel. This would seem to imply a sword intended for one-handed use, maybe the size of a Viking/Saxon blade (approx 36" OAL).

EDIT: Ninja'd by dead extra, but it seems we found the same info.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well hot damn. Thanks Deadextra. I remember them getting the armor and the bit about Gandalf refusing armor (because he's a total bamf), but I guess my mind decided the omit the presence of the shield.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ah! Round shields and swords, meat and drink to the likes of me. *grins*

For more than 30 years I have wielded sword and round shield...it is the only way for me.

I just came across those passages again myself; I'm in the midst of my third re-reading on the year. I must read the books two or three times every year. LOL Obsessed? No, not I.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!