I.33

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

I.33

Post by Andy M »

A few days after having asked Mike what I.33 meant, a copy of "Medieval Sword and Shield" shows up at my house. It was brought by Paul Champagne who came over for a week before I move back stateside. Once I get settled in a bit I'll probably find a group or seminar hosting I.33. Tolkien's swords were one handed and he did like shields. I think anything from 18" to 30" single or double edged would be practicle for a Ranger as would a buckler.

Mike,

What are your thoughts on it's application?

And does anyone know where I can pick up a functional buckler?

Thanks
Andy
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Andy

I am working through i.33. I think sword & buckler is very good ranger combination as it was historically the choice of lightly armoured fighters. Being the preffered method for personal defense from the 12th-14th c. and also 14th c. military archers. Also the small size means that you can hang it on your scabbard, and out it is good for woods.

Hanwei makes one for about $20-$25 US. A bit small for my taste.
http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_21299.html

Good quality bucklers may be had in the $60 -$140 range. I got mine here: http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAct ... D=312&HS=1 for $70. (They only come in black, even though brown leather is pictured)

Also I would like to point out that there a multiple reconstructions of the i.33 system. There are some people in my group who recently studied under a WMA Scholar in Portland who's system differes quite a bit from the Wagner/Hand method used in Medieval Sword & Shield.

As for sword length I am training with swords from of the same length suggested in the book (39" total - 32" blade) but am hoping to get a 28" coustille for ranger stuff.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

First off for bucklers I'd go here
http://www.gdfb.co.uk/acatalog/GDFB_Buc ... osses.html

Or here
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/index.php

I've had experience with both companies and can tell you the products hold up under training.

For sword length I wouldn't recommend using something under a 32" blade. In my opinion any shorter is an unnecessary sacrifice of reach.

In application A shorter blade would work fine, but again the one with the better reach has an advantage, all things being equal of course. Seeing as we'd most likely be lightly armored, if at all, it's a great compliment to what we do. It's still not really sword and shield as the buckler is always moving to protect the sword hand (At least in Mr Hands interpretation, the only one I'm familiar with) and also being used as a weapon in it's own right. I've only gone so far in the system but intend to dedicate the better part of the summer to I:33. I'm not even close to being able to handle multiple opponents like I can with a longsword, but that's most likely a result of not spending as much time with a buckler as I have with the longsword. As I progress I'll let you know what I discover. Nothin' gets you learning applications like a bruise or two.
Winter is coming
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

I keep hearing about this I.33, but regretfully don't recall anyhting about it, anyone want to clue me in;)?
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Doomo arigato gozaimasu, Beornmaan-san.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Got them both for 53$ total on Amazon, brand new. So shiney... I am excited to read this, might be able to build on my form and abuse the unsuspecting fools that come to events to flail around pointlessly.. oooh, exciting. I need to try some grappling... cant use any of the aikido or shaolin wrist throws or locks but I can do basic grabs on field, so, should be a good event.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Gareth

Re: I.33

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Gareth wrote:RE, RE, RE, RESURRECTED!!!!

Here's a free I:33 for the poor peeps out there.

http://freywild.ch/i33/i33en.html
SWEET!!!! I'll be using this tomorrow.
Winter is coming
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Bookmarked. Awesome link, man!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

book marked for me as well. on vacation so I wont get a chance to do to much with it but will still read it. Thanks for the info.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Gareth wrote:
mcapanelli wrote:
SWEET!!!! I'll be using this tomorrow.
Good to know someone will use it!

Oh, and Mike, I'll be moving about 5 hours from you at the end of the month so once I get a car we can get together and practice. :mrgreen:

~G
Your always welcome to come down. A 5 hour drive though and we'll have to give you the couch for thr night. Where abouts are you moving to?
Winter is coming
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

?[/quote]

Alexandria, Virginia. I've got friends there who offered me a place to restart after the layoff.

Always wanted to try living on the east coast.[/quote]

The East Coast is where all the cool kids hang out! 8)