Dwarf pipe for sale

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Dwarf pipe for sale

Post by Mirimaran »

Awesome! What a great job and a great DIY project! You should use that finished pic as a background *S* Now you have a great pipe to use as a prop in the picture contest, I am sure you'll win for sure!

Does the pouch work ok for your pipeweed?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Greg - Glad to be of service! :lol: You can get the same brand of wax here: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202106 ... unces.aspx It was very easy to apply and cheap, and since it's safe to come in contact with food I had no qualms about slathering it on. Heck, you could probably use it on leather too. Can't wait to see pics of how yours turns out!

Mirimaran - I love the pouch, thank you again! I still store my tobacco in tins that are airtight (helps delay the drying process), but for a jaunt through the woods it's perfect. Fill her up and slip it in a pocket.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Many thanks!

Forgot to ask...I love the color of that stain as well! Not to blatantly copy you or anything, but, quite frankly, it'd match my new jerkin just about perfectly. Is the actual name of the color you used "Dark Walnut"?

Thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

No worries, the more the merrier! It's actually "extra dark walnut" - and it is DARK. When not in direct sunlight its almost black, so plan accordingly.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200076 ... alnut.aspx
Greg

Post by Greg »

Same with my jerkin, oddly enough :twisted:

Thanks for the link! Gorgeous pipe, again! I look forward to some day seeing it in person!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Wow that came out nice!! Well done indeed!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Awesome work! Well done!
Greg

Post by Greg »

So, I sanded my pipe down today, and I need some help. As I mentioned earlier, a certain Canine got hold of it awhile back, and so it looks a bit like this:

The dilemma, of course, is how to prevent that split from going further up the stem over time. I'm going to have to cut off a bit of the end and sand it down to a rounded end again, but there's an aluminum tube that goes through the stem, so I can only cut in so far, so a small hint of the crack will still be there. If I cut the entire crack off, the pipe would be far shorter than I want it to be as well...after all, Tolkien didn't write about any "short" pipes that I'm aware of.

So here's where it stands right now.

The only thing I can think of so far would be some kind of a thread wrap around the end, which could look cool in its own right, but I don't want to be sticking waxy thread in my mouth, etc.

Some of the stain is still present and needs a little more work, but a lot of the remaining dark patches won't be gone until I start re-shaping, since they're sub-surface teeth marks... *chuckles*
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Looks like your pooch just wanted a whiff of Old Toby! Where you planning on smoking the pipe, or just keeping it for a prop?
Greg

Post by Greg »

I want it to be functional, yes.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Thanks a lot guys. Now you all have me hacking in to the bowl of my dwarf pipe as well. I hope your all happy.
Winter is coming
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

nobody can be happy with out pictures :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :)
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

So I've picked my runes and made a template (With pictures of every step so far) but what knife should I use to do the carving and how thick should the lines be before I burn in the pattern? All I have is my trusty helle so do I need a carving knife and where should I get one?
Winter is coming
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Greg - Keeping it functional and safe could be tricky. You could probably do some complex stuff, like carving a mouthpiece that you could fit over the cracked area and lash down with cord, leaving exposed wood at the tip which would contact your mouth. Probably the simplest, but a bit more risky in terms of health concerns, would be Elmer's wood glue. It's non-toxic, and some varieties are stainable and heat resistant. Ideally you'd work it into the crack with something like a sewing needle or a pin, while being careful not to get any in the smoking channel. Wipe off any excess, clamp it tight, let it set and you should be good to go.

Mike - :lol: Join the club! I picked up a cheap set of carving tools at an arts and crafts store for about $10. Came with several blade shapes, the most useful of which turned out to be a blade shaped like a V at right angles. Can't wait to see the pics!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

LOL I think we need to move this thread to the craft section!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"